Question about unlocked/rooted VZW Moto X

28th March 2014, 09:36 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 258

2,513 posts
So I really miss rooting and modding my phones so I was thinking about do that Chinese method of unlocking my verizon wireless moto x. I just have a couple questions if anyone could answer I'd appreciate it. I can't find much info about 4.4.2 for the verizon moto x because before this unlock discovery, it wasn't possible
1. Once I unlock, is rooting just a simple adb command away?
2. Will I still be able receive android updates via OTA from verizon in the future? Assuming I remain on stock rom and don't flash a rom.
3. My main goal would to be able to tether. So is there a xposed mod to enable tethering on stock rom?

I've only seen this info for DE Moto Xs' and outdated info so I just want to be as updated as possible before I decide to do this.
28th March 2014, 11:51 PM   |  #2  
Flag Fort Myers,FL
Thanks Meter: 215

541 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tu3218

So I really miss rooting and modding my phones so I was thinking about do that Chinese method of unlocking my verizon wireless moto x. I just have a couple questions if anyone could answer I'd appreciate it. I can't find much info about 4.4.2 for the verizon moto x because before this unlock discovery, it wasn't possible
1. Once I unlock, is rooting just a simple adb command away?
2. Will I still be able receive android updates via OTA from verizon in the future? Assuming I remain on stock rom and don't flash a rom.
3. My main goal would to be able to tether. So is there a xposed mod to enable tethering on stock rom?

I've only seen this info for DE Moto Xs' and outdated info so I just want to be as updated as possible before I decide to do this.

1. after you unlock the bootloader Rooting is as easy as installed TWRP or CWM then flashing SuperSU flashable sip and your rooted.

2. yes you will still get OTA updates. but in order to use the OTA update you will have to reflash the stock recovery. then take the update and reflash TWRP or CWM and SuperSU and your rooted again.

3.yea there is

hope this answered all your questions.
29th March 2014, 12:39 AM   |  #3  
XDA: ASSIST
Recognized Contributor
Flag The boonies - southwest Ontario
Thanks Meter: 3,691

8,883 posts
More
^^ this

Also, with an unlocked bootloader....you now have a phone that is no different than a dev edition. Aside from your warranty.

There's nothing else special about the dev edition. You keep your warranty on a DE.....that's where its specialness ends.

Sent from my N5, N7, Moto X, G Tab 3 or S2.....
29th March 2014, 01:21 AM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 258

2,513 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dray_jr

1. after you unlock the bootloader Rooting is as easy as installed TWRP or CWM then flashing SuperSU flashable sip and your rooted.

2. yes you will still get OTA updates. but in order to use the OTA update you will have to reflash the stock recovery. then take the update and reflash TWRP or CWM and SuperSU and your rooted again.

3.yea there is

hope this answered all your questions.

Yeah thanks a lot! My plan would be to just run stock software but just add the tethering xposed module. But my main concern was receiving future OTAs so it's good to know that I still can. Is it pretty safe to root/unlock this phone? My galaxy nexus was a breeze(obviously being a nexus), but like my S3, there was no flashing back to stock recovery, taking OTA, an than flashing CWM again. At least it wasn't as easy as you described lol I think because there was always concern about whether the update removed ability to root access. Is that possible with this phone or with the unlocking of the bootloader, does that take that variable out? Thanks again. Oh yeah last question, once I'm unlocked, can I lock it back up again and go back to completely stock if I wanted to for some reason? Or is it a done deal.
30th March 2014, 01:49 AM   |  #5  
Flag Fort Myers,FL
Thanks Meter: 215

541 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tu3218

Yeah thanks a lot! My plan would be to just run stock software but just add the tethering xposed module. But my main concern was receiving future OTAs so it's good to know that I still can. Is it pretty safe to root/unlock this phone? My galaxy nexus was a breeze(obviously being a nexus), but like my S3, there was no flashing back to stock recovery, taking OTA, an than flashing CWM again. At least it wasn't as easy as you described lol I think because there was always concern about whether the update removed ability to root access. Is that possible with this phone or with the unlocking of the bootloader, does that take that variable out? Thanks again. Oh yeah last question, once I'm unlocked, can I lock it back up again and go back to completely stock if I wanted to for some reason? Or is it a done deal.

the unlocking the bootloader process is kind of a pain but not too bad.

custom recovery and root are as simple as one command and one flashable zip

as long as you follow directions and read before doing anything then it should be safe. but rooting and modifying your phone is never %100 save.

when you unlock your bootloader you will always be able to root your phone no matter what android version your on. but it is always possible that they make some crazy change and we have issues.

once unlocked you can relock with with "fastboot oem lock" but that stupid warning msg about you bootloader being unlocked won't go away unless you flash a custom boot screen.

i hope i answered all your questions to your full needs and if you have any more please feel free to ask here or PM me if need be.
The Following User Says Thank You to dray_jr For This Useful Post: [ View ]
30th March 2014, 05:10 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 64

868 posts
More
Unlocking the bootloader is pretty easy if you have adb setup. Don't forget to backup via helium (download to computer or cloud not local.) since unlocking will delete everything and helium can work without root.

Xposed module is great, less intrusive than flashing roms and you can easily get the tethering, etc.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread