Ask a question

No registration required

[Q]Unlocked Bootloader,TWRP and 4.4.2 Update

OP msespindola

29th January 2014, 05:17 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 8

150 posts
Guys,i have Retail 1058 Moto X with unlocked Bootloader,TWRP(latest and rooted) and i want to upgrade to 4.4.2!
Some guys already received the 4.4.2 brazilian update via OTA,and extracted the zip file,but,since im on custom recovery,the OTA doesnt reboot the phone into stock and go straight to TWRP,therefore,doesnt conclude the update,and keep restarting!
Since i need the phone,i did a factory reset via TWRP just to get things going!
But,i want to upgrade to 4.4.2!
Is there a way to do that?remove TWRP ou something else?
I've seen some people saying that i need to flash the 4.4 img which it is inside the zip but,i dont have that zip anymore!
Thx in advance!
29th January 2014, 05:23 PM   |  #2  
Flag Fort Myers,FL
Thanks Meter: 238

571 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by msespindola

Guys,i have Retail 1058 Moto X with unlocked Bootloader,TWRP(latest and rooted) and i want to upgrade to 4.4.2!
Some guys already received the 4.4.2 brazilian update via OTA,and extracted the zip file,but,since im on custom recovery,the OTA doesnt reboot the phone into stock and go straight to TWRP,therefore,doesnt conclude the update,and keep restarting!
Since i need the phone,i did a factory reset via TWRP just to get things going!
But,i want to upgrade to 4.4.2!
Is there a way to do that?remove TWRP ou something else?
I've seen some people saying that i need to flash the 4.4 img which it is inside the zip but,i dont have that zip anymore!
Thx in advance!

if you take the 4.4.2 update you will loose root and wont be able to get it back till who knows when.

but you need to flash your phone back to 100% stock just like you did when root your device but instead of using the 4.2.2 CU firmware use the 4.4

here is all the firmware for the Moto X

http://sbf.droid-developers.org/phone.php?device=0

your device is a Att model so you should be able to flash the ATT 4.4 firmware but im not 100% sure but maybe you will find your carrier listed there.
29th January 2014, 05:28 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

150 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dray_jr

if you take the 4.4.2 update you will loose root and wont be able to get it back till who knows when.

but you need to flash your phone back to 100% stock just like you did when root your device but instead of using the 4.2.2 CU firmware use the 4.4

here is all the firmware for the Moto X

http://sbf.droid-developers.org/phone.php?device=0

your device is a Att model so you should be able to flash the ATT 4.4 firmware but im not 100% sure but maybe you will find your carrier listed there.

yeah,i know,aware of loosing root,but,mine is retail,and i've found the brazilian retail one(Blur_Version.143.44.8.ghost_row.Brasil.en.BR)!
How do i revert back to stock?never done that before!
Thx for the help so far buddy
29th January 2014, 05:37 PM   |  #4  
Flag Fort Myers,FL

571 posts
More
Quote:

yeah,i know,aware of loosing root,but,mine is retail,and i've found the brazilian retail one(Blur_Version.143.44.8.ghost_row.Brasil.en.BR)!
How do i revert back to stock?never done that before!
Thx for the help so far buddy

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2446515

there are two ways in this guide i like the manual way. but your choice make sure you read everything because if you do this wrong you can brick.
29th January 2014, 06:11 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member

150 posts
Quote:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2446515

there are two ways in this guide i like the manual way. but your choice make sure you read everything because if you do this wrong you can brick.

Okay buddy,will take a look when i get home from work!
One questiona buddy managed to get the fastboot img for me,if i just flash the stock recovery img and then try to update will it work?
29th January 2014, 06:41 PM   |  #6  
Flag Fort Myers,FL

571 posts
More
Quote:

Okay buddy,will take a look when i get home from work!
One questiona buddy managed to get the fastboot img for me,if i just flash the stock recovery img and then try to update will it work?

idk i dont like to doing things half way there have been way to many bricks lately.
The Following User Says Thank You to dray_jr For This Useful Post: [ View ]
29th January 2014, 07:47 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 163

652 posts
If he has an unlocked bootloader, why would he not be able to get root back?

I thought when the bootloader was unlocked you had free reign over the device. Shouldn't he be able to upgrade to 4.4.2 and use SU and TWRP to get root back? I don't get why he wouldn't be able to do that.

Flash 4.4.2
Flash TWRP via mfastboot
Install SU zip via TWRP
Boot
Install SU app

What am I missing?

Sent from my Dev Edition Moto X
Last edited by Schaweet; 29th January 2014 at 07:52 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Schaweet For This Useful Post: [ View ]
29th January 2014, 10:20 PM   |  #8  
Flag Fort Myers,FL

571 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaweet

I thought when the bootloader was unlocked you had free reign over the device. Shouldn't he be able to upgrade to 4.4.2 and use SU and TWRP to get root back? I don't get why he wouldn't be able to do that.

Flash 4.4.2
Flash TWRP via mfastboot
Install SU zip via TWRP
Boot
Install SU app

What am I missing?

this is why i dont read on my phone i miss crap anyway if you flash 4.4.2 yes you can flash the 4.4 TWRP and then SuperSU with a unlocked bootloader.. sorry for my miss read thanks for the catch
The Following User Says Thank You to dray_jr For This Useful Post: [ View ]
31st January 2014, 04:32 PM   |  #9  
OP Senior Member

150 posts
Quote:

idk i dont like to doing things half way there have been way to many bricks lately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaweet

Flash 4.4.2
Flash TWRP via mfastboot
Install SU zip via TWRP
Boot
Install SU app

What am I missing?

Thx guys, I'll do this later, thx for the awesome responses

Sent from my XT1058 using xda app-developers app
31st January 2014, 04:46 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 11

61 posts
More
Quote:

Can someone else please chime in on this? I have a Dev Edition VZW Moto X, and when the 4.4.2 update is finally available, I want to know what to do. My phone is unlocked & rooted with TWRP installed. Can I just flash the factory recovery and then take the OTA? Or do I have to revert to 100% stock? If I only flash stock recovery and take the OTA, data won't be wiped, will it? That is the big reason I would like to avoid going back to 100% stock if I can.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread