Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,731 Members 50,989 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Will "Unlocked GSM" Moto X from US work in India?

Tip us?

tripranav
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default [Q] Will "Unlocked GSM" Moto X from US work in India?

Hello everyone,

As you all know there was a sale just for one day on Moto X over in US (May 1st), I ordered the 32gb version for myself. As I am in India and will be using this phone here, on the choose a carrier page I selected: GSM Unlocked (includes T-Mobile Sim) option.

My question is: Will this phone support Indian Sim cards? Also does this phone support LTE? And which version (AT&T or T-Mobile) will I get as below GSM Unlocked, it`s written AT&T and T-Mobile 4G LTE with Global HSPA?

Which one is better in terms of future software updates?

kcipopnevets
Old
Thanks Meter 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripranav View Post
Hello everyone,

As you all know there was a sale just for one day on Moto X over in US (May 1st), I ordered the 32gb version for myself. As I am in India and will be using this phone here, on the choose a carrier page I selected: GSM Unlocked (includes T-Mobile Sim) option.

My question is: Will this phone support Indian Sim cards? Also does this phone support LTE? And which version (AT&T or T-Mobile) will I get as below GSM Unlocked, it`s written AT&T and T-Mobile 4G LTE with Global HSPA?

Which one is better in terms of future software updates?

I don't see why not. Buy away!
I'MANUTCASEANDALLILISTENTOISMETAL
HTC Rezound, BROKEN
Droid MAXX XT1080M("DEV"), KitKat stock, UNLOCKED(!!!!!!!!!) and rooted
GWAR \m/ (-'__'-) \m/

tripranav
Old
(Last edited by tripranav; 2nd May 2014 at 04:42 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
I am confused because even though I selected GSM Unlocked version it mentiones that it includes the T-Mobile Sim. So, I am wondering will it only work with the T-Mobile SIM??

kcipopnevets
Old
Thanks Meter 30
I'm sure it had something to do with T-Mobile's overseas network. Just pop in your SIM and disregard the one it comes with.
HTC Rezound, BROKEN
GWAR \m/ (-'__'-) \m/
The Following User Says Thank You to kcipopnevets For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tripranav
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcipopnevets View Post
I'm sure it had something to do with T-Mobile's overseas network. Just pop in your SIM and disregard the one it comes with.
Thanks, I am yet to receive the phone here in India as I just purchased it yesterday from the Moto US Store. It might take 10-12 days for it to get delivered here at my door step.

kcipopnevets
Old
Thanks Meter 30
Great! I how you enjoy the phone, you won't regret your purchase!
HTC Rezound, BROKEN
GWAR \m/ (-'__'-) \m/
The Following User Says Thank You to kcipopnevets For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Iajay
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Did it work

Did u receive the moto x ...did it work in india

KidJoe
Old
Thanks Meter 661
The GSM Unlocked (ships with T-Mobile SIM) is the same as the GSM Developer Edition, and "T-Mobile" edition.

Per Moto's web site it supports...

GSM: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
3G UMTS bands: 850/900/ AWS/1900/2100 MHz with HSPA+ up to 42 Mbps (B5/B8/B4/B2/B1)
4G LTE bands: 700/AWS/1900MHz (B17/B4/B2)

There is a chance you may need to adjust APN settings. And there are a few threads about making USA Moto X work in India that you may want to look for because I don't know the specifics.
aka Mark_Venture

My Moto X tips and info

Currently using Verizon Moto X Developer Edition on my personal line.. But I have too many devices to choose from for work and personal... For the full list click -> HERE <-

The Following User Says Thank You to KidJoe For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tripranav
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iajay View Post
Did u receive the moto x ...did it work in india
A very bad thing happened; Motorola USA cancelled my order and didn`t even tell me the reason for that. After that I had no choice but to buy the phone locally from Flipkart.

Anyways, I got the 16GB variant.

KidJoe
Old
Thanks Meter 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripranav View Post
A very bad thing happened; Motorola USA cancelled my order and didn`t even tell me the reason for that. After that I had no choice but to buy the phone locally from Flipkart.

Anyways, I got the 16GB variant.
Moto USA doesn't support orders outside of the USA. If you ordered with a non-USA shipping address, or "bill to" address, that is why they canceled it.
aka Mark_Venture

My Moto X tips and info

Currently using Verizon Moto X Developer Edition on my personal line.. But I have too many devices to choose from for work and personal... For the full list click -> HERE <-

The Following User Says Thank You to KidJoe For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]