Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,414 Members 53,500 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Unlocked Moto X question

Tip us?

NightThyme
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinisloco View Post
And would the bootloader come unlocked?
No, you have to get an unlock code from Motorola and it voids your warranty.

Why not just get the GSM Dev Ed and keep your warranty after you unlock it?

Thraxzzz
Old
Thanks Meter 66
I bought the Dev edition and inside there's this piece of paper that says that after requesting the unlock code, it'll void the warranty, weird

Sent from my LG-D958 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
-Annonymous

chrstndsgnr
Old
Thanks Meter 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zcam View Post
I've been doing research and making a lot of calls to both AT&T and to motorola regarding the GSM unlocked(Tmo) version of the MOTO X on the ATT network. Specifically, I have asked ATT about the 850 Mhz LTE band (which is not supported on the GCM unlocked X) and how, If at all, would my service be affected by the lack of this freq. NO one at ATT seems to know anything. I asked moto(numerous times) before I ordered and was told it's the "same phone" or that it "will work". No one seems to be able to tell me specifically if not having this band will adversely effect my ability to get service as I travel the country(US). The phone arrives wed and I'll post again with the results. After I update the APN settings(if needed) we'll see what happens. The only reason I opted for the GSM unlocked version is to be able to use PDA NET + to tether and use another carrier if I desire. (grandfathered unlimited data).
AFAIK, the 850MHz band is only used for 2G/3G, which is usable by the unlocked X. From my research, I don't see anyone with any plans to use LTE on that frequency.

Short answer: If AT&T or one of their roaming partners has service, you should be fine.

Quote:
Another question:
Will I need to root the phone to use PDA net, or can u I just use native tethering on the GSM unlocked on the ATT network. ?? Thanks in advance.
You would not be able to use native tethering unless you pay for the tethering service to the best of my knowledge.

From what I remember of PDA.net from years ago was that it did not need root to function.

Sent from my XT1053 using xda premium

---------- Post added at 05:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:56 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thraxzzz View Post
I bought the Dev edition and inside there's this piece of paper that says that after requesting the unlock code, it'll void the warranty, weird
That was/is the original stance by Motorola. They got a bit of backlash and reversed the decision for the Dev devices only.

Sent from my XT1053 using xda premium

NightThyme
Old
(Last edited by NightThyme; 6th January 2014 at 02:39 PM.)
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thraxzzz View Post
That was their old policy. Motorola has reversed themselves on that policy.