XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

unlocked moto x on sprint

Tip us?

thethirdmurph
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default unlocked moto x on sprint

I have a unlocked moto x that I am trying to use with a sprint sim card. anyone know how I can get this to work

Steve-x
Old
Thanks Meter 161
You will need to be more specific on which Moto X you have. However if it isn't a factory Sprint Moto X I think the chances of it working are extremely slim. Sprint uses CDMA, a normal unlocked Moto X uses GSM.

thethirdmurph
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
This is unlocked from Motorola

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

Steve-x
Old
Thanks Meter 161
Well you didn't answer the question at all so its tough to help. The long and short of it is that if you want to use a Moto X with Sprint you need to buy the Sprint version.

thethirdmurph
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
I guess I didn't realize Motorola sold more than one type of unlocked moto x. I knew they sold locked ones for each service provider but my understanding was that the developer edition moto x was the only one you could purchase from motorola unlocked...

nhizzat
Old
Thanks Meter 62
Sprint doesn't have a developer edition. Only VZW and AT&T make those available to be purchased.

Puzzlegal
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Verizon and Sprint use a different phone technology than other phone companies, called CDMA. To use a phone on those companies, you need a phone with built in support for their CDMA service. CDMA doesn't support removable SIM cards or changing carriers (or even changing phones, without having the carrier switch service to the new phone).

Some (many) phones on those services can also be used on the more common GSM phones services, because both Sprint and Verizon are new using that technology for data. That's where "unlocked" comes in. If you get the unlocked version of a CDMA phone you can use it on other (GSM) carriers. Sprint tend to only unlock phones for international use, not for use by their competitors. I'm less familiar with Verizon.

Either way, to use a phone on Sprint (or on Verizon) you generally need to buy a phone earmarked for that carrier. That is true of the Moto X.

If you can still return that phone, you should do so.