Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,771,646 Members 45,882 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Does Unlocking bootloader also wipe your data?

Tip us?

zAlbee
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 143
Default Does Unlocking bootloader also wipe your data?

Hey folks. Got a Dev edition here, which as I understand is easy to unlock. Question is must I lose my data when doing so? And if yes, how can I backup before unlocking? If I had root, I would run titanium backup, but given that I can't get root until I unlock, this seems like a chicken and egg problem....

Sent from my XT1053 using XDA Free mobile app
Current:
Moto X (GSM Developer Edition): 4.4.2
Asus TF101: KatKiss 4.3.1 (#28)

Previous:

Nokia 3360, SE w580, SE w760 (bad), SE Hazel J20i (stolen)
iPad 1 (sold), Galaxy Nexus (GSM): 4.3 stock (given away)

Service
:
Wind Mobile $30/mth 5GB HSPA data + unlimited talk/text province-wide

KidJoe
Old
Thanks Meter 740
Yes, doing the. Mfastboot oem unlock will factory reset the phone. You will lose apps and data. I am not familiar with a way (while not rooted) to back up everything and restore after unlocking such that everything is the same.
aka Mark_Venture

My Moto X tips and info

Currently using Verizon Moto X Developer Edition on my personal line.. But I have too many devices to choose from for work and personal... For the full list click -> HERE <-

KJ
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3210
I may be wrong.....just going from memory of what I've read, but I think an app called helium can backup without root. Then you'd need to transfer the backup off the phone, cause everything is gone when you unlock. Pics too.
Sent from my new HTC One M8, N5, N7, Moto X, GTab3 or S2.

Need help with poor battery life on the N5...or any device really? Lots of info in first 4 posts! >>>>
[Battery Life Help] Troubleshoot Battery Issues Here....and Tips

zAlbee
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 143
Hm. Can anyone confirm this happens for sure? On the Galaxy Nexus, people said the same thing but it turned out that if you just typed fastboot oem unlock without flashing any partitions that no data was actually erased. I just can't understand why unlocking would be linked to erasing.

Thanks!

Current:
Moto X (GSM Developer Edition): 4.4.2
Asus TF101: KatKiss 4.3.1 (#28)

Previous:

Nokia 3360, SE w580, SE w760 (bad), SE Hazel J20i (stolen)
iPad 1 (sold), Galaxy Nexus (GSM): 4.3 stock (given away)

Service
:
Wind Mobile $30/mth 5GB HSPA data + unlimited talk/text province-wide

KJ
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3210
Quote:
Originally Posted by zAlbee View Post
Hm. Can anyone confirm this happens for sure? On the Galaxy Nexus, people said the same thing but it turned out that if you just typed fastboot oem unlock without flashing any partitions that no data was actually erased. I just can't understand why unlocking would be linked to erasing.

Thanks!

Unlocking erases everything. On any device I've owned. The x for sure.

Why? Dunno. Lol
Sent from my new HTC One M8, N5, N7, Moto X, GTab3 or S2.

Need help with poor battery life on the N5...or any device really? Lots of info in first 4 posts! >>>>
[Battery Life Help] Troubleshoot Battery Issues Here....and Tips

The Following User Says Thank You to KJ For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

donslade
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Unlocking the bootloader will reset the phone back to factory fresh condition as stated. When I unlocked my Moto X it was factory reset. Same for when I unlocked the bootloader in my Nexus 10, Droid Razr M, Incredible and Eris. I think this is the normal behavior.

There are ways to back up your data and apps even without an unlocked or rooted phone. There is a toolkit in this forum somewhere for the Moto X that will do that as well as a market app (Helium?). I used the toolkit here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/moto...1-2-1-t2477132

But I did that while at 4.4, before the OTA update to 4.4.2.
The Following User Says Thank You to donslade For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]