Unlocking questions

Tip us?

DAddYE
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 337
Default Unlocking questions

Hello there.

First of all sorry if was maybe asked hundreds of times but at least from the phone app I wasn't able to find my questions.

I have a T-Mobile version.

If I'll request an unlock code thus I'll unlock it, then I'll be ever able to relock it and get back my warranty?!

Thanks!!!

Sent from my C6903 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Steve-x
Old
Thanks Meter 164
No, your warranty is gone as soon as you request your bootloader unlock code, even if you don't unlock the phone.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve-x For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

BladeRunner
Old
Thanks Meter 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-x View Post
No, your warranty is gone as soon as you request your bootloader unlock code, even if you don't unlock the phone.
Moto has changed their policy and unlocking no longer voids the warranty.

Steve-x
Old
Thanks Meter 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeRunner View Post
Moto has changed their policy and unlocking no longer voids the warranty.
That only applies to the Developer Edition!
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve-x For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

BladeRunner
Old
Thanks Meter 94
Quote:
That only applies to the Developer Edition!
You're right, and that is just a silly policy.

DAddYE
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 337
I see... Thanks guys!!!!

DAddYE
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeRunner View Post
You're right, and that is just a silly policy.
Indeed, I can understand if is a CPU problem or any HW issue derived by silly things like overclocking and so on, by if my display lose is placement and glue? Aka manufacturing issue. BTW for now its okay. I'll miss a bit my GravityBox and pie but IMHO the os is kinda perfect.

Steve-x
Old
Thanks Meter 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAddYE View Post
Indeed, I can understand if is a CPU problem or any HW issue derived by silly things like overclocking and so on, by if my display lose is placement and glue? Aka manufacturing issue. BTW for now its okay. I'll miss a bit my GravityBox and pie but IMHO the os is kinda perfect.

I like to think of it as a step in the right direction at a minimum. They provide a way to unlock the bootloader which is a positive.
I know they don't want bogus warranty claims because people have bricked their phone but I suspect the returns due to bricking are much more related to the root exploits used on bootloader locked phones then on ones with the bootloader unlocked. I am also thankful many providers have approved of the unlocking, such as Rogers in Canada. It is a shame Verizon and AT&T have decided against it with the non-dev editions phones.

DAddYE
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 337
Quote:
I like to think of it as a step in the right direction at a minimum. They provide a way to unlock the bootloader which is a positive.
I know they don't want bogus warranty claims because people have bricked their phone but I suspect the returns due to bricking are much more related to the root exploits used on bootloader locked phones then on ones with the bootloader unlocked. I am also thankful many providers have approved of the unlocking, such as Rogers in Canada. It is a shame Verizon and AT&T have decided against it with the non-dev editions phones.
I totally agree with you. I mean, I would prefer the Sony way where if they detect that the problem is related to the unlocking they will charge u. Otherwise it is fine. But I know that is a wasting of resources and money and for a reborn company now is better focusing on other things. Regarding the carrier thing that is something pretty weird. What I hate more than anything else is the "exclusive" thing. Annoying at best. That why I prefer having less signal and have my phone unlocked but more important WITHOUT the creepy CARRIER LOGO... Jeez.