XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Unlocking T-Mobile moto x from sale

Tip us?

bobloblaw1
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 401
Default Unlocking T-Mobile moto x from sale

I was considering unlocking my gf's T-Mobile Moto X but some of the disclaimer language gave me pause.

"You have only yourself to blame. Once you get the unlock code, your device is no longer covered by the Motorola warranty; in other words, please don't blame us if things go wrong, even if they appear unrelated to unlocking the bootloader."

In actual practice, how strict are they about this if it is clearly a hardware defect (eg: screen burnout) ? Does anyone have experience or insight they can share?

Thanks!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

aooga
Old
Thanks Meter 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobloblaw1 View Post
I was considering unlocking my gf's T-Mobile Moto X but some of the disclaimer language gave me pause.

"You have only yourself to blame. Once you get the unlock code, your device is no longer covered by the Motorola warranty; in other words, please don't blame us if things go wrong, even if they appear unrelated to unlocking the bootloader."

In actual practice, how strict are they about this if it is clearly a hardware defect (eg: screen burnout) ? Does anyone have experience or insight they can share?

Thanks!

It's void and done. It isn't like HTC when they say it only voids the warranty if it gets bricked or something like that. If you unlock it and try to return/RMA, you cant. When you provide the serial number, it wont let the reps issue an RMA. I learned this the hard way. I unlocked my tmobile one and it began creaking a lot on the back panel, but they couldn't do anything about it since I unlocked the bootloader. It sucks that the TMO and the Developer edition models are exactly the same, but the warranty doesnt get voided on the DE model.

bobloblaw1
Old
(Last edited by bobloblaw1; 13th December 2013 at 08:05 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by aooga View Post
It's void and done. It isn't like HTC when they say it only voids the warranty if it gets bricked or something like that. If you unlock it and try to return/RMA, you cant. When you provide the serial number, it wont let the reps issue an RMA. I learned this the hard way. I unlocked my tmobile one and it began creaking a lot on the back panel, but they couldn't do anything about it since I unlocked the bootloader. It sucks that the TMO and the Developer edition models are exactly the same, but the warranty doesnt get voided on the DE model.
Thanks for the reply though that does suck. So then, are there any other options or workarounds. Is Pwnmymoto still an option for custom Roms as described here: http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/09...oms-a-reality/

I'm doing a lot of reading and trying to get a handle on all this, but I've been on Samsung phones since the original galaxy so this is all new to me. Are there any up to date comprehensive guides that I should dig into regarding my options for custom roms?

Thanks again.

Edit: apparently pwn is no longer an option as described in the link above. There's a ton of conflicting Information since 4.4 dropped. Seems like I have a ton of research to do.

Jayrod1980
Old
Thanks Meter 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobloblaw1 View Post
Thanks for the reply though that does suck. So then, are there any other options or workarounds. Is Pwnmymoto still an option for custom Roms as described here: http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/09...oms-a-reality/

I'm doing a lot of reading and trying to get a handle on all this, but I've been on Samsung phones since the original galaxy so this is all new to me. Are there any up to date comprehensive guides that I should dig into regarding my options for custom roms?

Thanks again.

Edit: apparently pwn is no longer an option as described in the link above. There's a ton of conflicting Information since 4.4 dropped. Seems like I have a ton of research to do.

Wow... really? I was within my 14 days so I returned the phone even with the unlocked bootloader. That's really strange. there must be something you could do about a hardware defect. Just because a company makes you sign away your rights does not mean that the agreement is valid. Just as when you sign liability waivers for certain things, the agreement is just to discourage you from trying to sue, etc.

I know that in Europe you can't just void an entire warranty for unlocking a bootloader. Something software related could be voided, but a non-related hardware defect could not be claimed void because of the bootloader. Kind of like how on cars, you cannot void an entire warranty for having an aftermarket part, if that part cannot cause whatever defect you are trying to claim.