XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Can't update supersu binary

Tip us?

fruitytoilet
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Can't update supersu binary

How do I update the supersu binary? I have been trying to update it and whenever I press normal(since I do not have a custom recovery) it simply says installation failed, please reboot and try again. But even if I reboot, nothing happens and it continues to fail. How can I fix this? Verizon moto x 4.4 rooted with slapmymoto

PityOnU
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitytoilet View Post
How do I update the supersu binary? I have been trying to update it and whenever I press normal(since I do not have a custom recovery) it simply says installation failed, please reboot and try again. But even if I reboot, nothing happens and it continues to fail. How can I fix this? Verizon moto x 4.4 rooted with slapmymoto

I had the same issue.

The /system partition on the phone is locked by both software (mount -o remount -o rw /system) and firmware. Even if you remount the drive as read/write in the OS, by default the phone's firmware locks out any writes to the drive.

Part of the rooting process exploits a vulnerability in the recovery bootloader on the phone (as opposed to the regular bootloader ou launch everytime) to get it to boot the system instead of performing a recovery. Since it is recovery, it needs to be able to write to system, so the firmware locks on /system are disabled.

To remove the firmware locks, reboot the phone using the hacked recovery bootloader by connecting it to your PC and using the Android Debug Bridge (adb):

Code:
adb reboot recovery

d3athsd00r
Old
Thanks Meter 278
Or, when you turn your phone on, hold volume down, then select Recovery. It will boot normally, but write will be enabled on system.

There is also a mod that turns off write protect permanently, which is what I use. It's nice not having to remember to choose recovery whole booting.

Sent from my XT1058 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

fruitytoilet
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by d3athsd00r View Post
Or, when you turn your phone on, hold volume down, then select Recovery. It will boot normally, but write will be enabled on system.

There is also a mod that turns off write protect permanently, which is what I use. It's nice not having to remember to choose recovery whole booting.

Sent from my XT1058 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
What mod is this?

d3athsd00r
Old
Thanks Meter 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitytoilet View Post
What mod is this?
BAM!!

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2551113

hovlandbr
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Thumbs up RW Root

I had this same problem after I rooted my RW Moto X. This worked perfect! Thanks!