Update to 4.4.2 only

OP XTheMike

18th August 2014, 08:38 PM   |  #11  
Thanks Meter: 1,737

2,000 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by @SidDev

read my post I said him follow this if your model is not Carrier based.

I did see that...but it is still inaccurate. All carrier based models EXCEPT those that I listed can be unlocked. Sprint, USC, all the European carrier-based variants, all the Brazil carrier-based devices, etc. They can all be unlocked except for AT&T, Verizon, and Republic Wireless. Your post makes it seem as if you must own the Retail devices to unlock - this is not the case.

Also, you suggest a very outdated version of TWRP (not even put out by the official TWRP team) that has been reported to cause issues on some devices. We should all be using the latest version found here: http://techerrata.com/browse/twrp2/ghost (2.7.1.1)

Additionally, you have included unnecessary steps. All TWRP versions will root for you - you do not have to download SuperSU and flash from recovery. Simply booting into recovery and clicking exit will cause TWRP to offer to install SuperSu Installer for you with no downloading necessary...

While we all appreciate that you are trying to help, your instructions have quite a few inaccuracies and unnecessary steps.
18th August 2014, 08:44 PM   |  #12  
Flag Kolkata
Thanks Meter: 234

407 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by samwathegreat

I did see that...but it is still inaccurate. All carrier based models EXCEPT those that I listed can be unlocked. Sprint, USC, all the European carrier-based variants, all the Brazil carrier-based devices, etc. They can all be unlocked except for AT&T, Verizon, and Republic Wireless. Your post makes it seem as if you must own the Retail devices to unlock - this is not the case.

Also, you suggest a very outdated version of TWRP (not even put out by the official TWRP team) that has been reported to cause issues on some devices. We should all be using the latest version found here: http://techerrata.com/browse/twrp2/ghost (2.7.1.1)

Additionally, you have included unnecessary steps. All TWRP versions will root for you - you do not have to download SuperSU and flash from recovery. Simply booting into recovery and clicking exit will cause TWRP to offer to install SuperSu Installer for you with no downloading necessary...

While we all appreciate that you are trying to help, your instructions have quite a few inaccuracies and unnecessary steps.

yes I know what you are trying to say
but I tried to simplify it so I wrote in such a way.
Anyways thanks. I will be cautious next time
The Following User Says Thank You to @SidDev For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th August 2014, 10:50 PM   |  #13  
Flag Furtwangen im Schwarzwald, Germany
Thanks Meter: 9

73 posts
More
So you mean to say i can root my phone even after the update to 4.4.4? I own a XT 1052 variant (from Germany)
19th August 2014, 10:54 PM   |  #14  
Thanks Meter: 1,737

2,000 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by yekollu

So you mean to say i can root my phone even after the update to 4.4.4? I own a XT 1052 variant (from Germany)

If you unlock the bootloader....YES! That's exactly what I said....
22nd August 2014, 09:48 AM   |  #15  
Flag Furtwangen im Schwarzwald, Germany
Thanks Meter: 9

73 posts
More
Quote:

if you phone is not carrier based follow this

4. Download the TWRP recovery from the link found
here.

Here as in where? Can you send the link please
22nd August 2014, 12:49 PM   |  #16  
Flag Kolkata
Thanks Meter: 234

407 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by yekollu

Here as in where? Can you send the link please

link- http://hosting.crackflasher.com/secu...-ghost-4.4.img

press thanks if I helped you.
22nd August 2014, 01:04 PM   |  #17  
Flag Thorndale/Romansville, PA
Thanks Meter: 858

2,109 posts
More
Quote:

link- http://hosting.crackflasher.com/secu...-ghost-4.4.img

press thanks if I helped you.

@yekollu
That is an older, unofficial link. While it works for 4.4.0, for 4.4.2 and up it is better to use the latest official version -> http://techerrata.com/browse/twrp2/ghost

---------- Post added at 08:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:00 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTheMike

Hello. I ordered Moto X and I want to know if I will be able to perform OTA update from 4.2.2 to 4.4.2 and not to 4.4.4, because I want to root my phone. Thank you

Quote:

you will get direct 4.4.4 and you can still root.
thank me if I helped you.

Sorry, old post that I'm replying to... but I want to clarify something.

For the Motorola X, the OTA's are incremental updates. You must be on a specific previous ROM, and "step up." To put it another way... to take the 4.4.4 OTA your phone needs to be on 4.4.2. To take the 4.4.2 OTA, your phone needs to be on 4.4. To take the 4.4 OTA, your phone needs to be on the 4.2.2 w/camera fix version. To take the 4.2.2 w/camera fix OTA, your phone needs to be on the initial shipping ROM version.

Usually you can take the updates one a time, and stop at the version you want. HOWEVER, we have seen cases where OTA's can no longer be deferred and you will be prompted but have no choice but to "install now."

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread