5,604,730 Members 34,238 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Verizon apps removing??

Tip us?

dray_jr
Old
Thanks Meter 173
i would not delete them for FC issues i would just install Titanium Back up and Freeze the apps you dont want.
by doing this you should never have any FC issues and if you do you can unfreeze them.

that would be the safest route to remove them
Sprint Moto X TWRP 4.4 Self Detoxed
Profiles:Twitter
Guides:MotoX Guides |
The Following User Says Thank You to dray_jr For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

danger2u
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by dray_jr View Post
i would not delete them for FC issues i would just install Titanium Back up and Freeze the apps you dont want.
by doing this you should never have any FC issues and if you do you can unfreeze them.

that would be the safest route to remove them
i ll let in with this apps untill Motorola release a european retail firmware
on 14 january seems that they have a presentation of Moto x in UK
i know that removing system apps can harm the phone

KidJoe
Old
Thanks Meter 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLRTN View Post
I have read conflicting information on this topic. Is it okay to delete the apk from the system app folder for VZ Navigator and NFL Mobile and the Caller ID apk from the system priv-app folder? I am not sure if this will be a problem later. I have heard other people claim you should never delete any bloatware apks but instead freeze them using Titanium Backup.

Not sure if there is a definitive answer or what the downside would be to deleting those 3 apps.
Usually OTA updates will look for certain files to be present on your phone and verify their size and check sums (MD5 or the like) before the OTA update will install. If files are missing or changed, the ota update will fail.

By deleting apk's of pre-installed apps from your phone, you risk needed files not being present which could prevent OTA Updates from installing. You could manually rename each APK now (VZNAV.APK to VZNAV.APK.BAK) and rename it back prior to taking OTA. This way you don't have to hut for them, but with the possibility of so many VZW APK's to rename, you could have a hard time remembering all of them to rename for the next OTA.

So,the easiest two suggested alternatives has been to use the Phone's App Manager to disable apps (they can stay disabled, even during an OTA update), or Titanium Backup to Freeze apps (you must unfreeze before taking OTA).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KidJoe For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

KLRTN
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidJoe View Post
Usually OTA updates will look for certain files to be present on your phone and verify their size and check sums (MD5 or the like) before the OTA update will install. If files are missing or changed, the ota update will fail.

By deleting apk's of pre-installed apps from your phone, you risk needed files not being present which could prevent OTA Updates from installing. You could manually rename each APK now (VZNAV.APK to VZNAV.APK.BAK) and rename it back prior to taking OTA. This way you don't have to hut for them, but with the possibility of so many VZW APK's to rename, you could have a hard time remembering all of them to rename for the next OTA.

So,the easiest two suggested alternatives has been to use the Phone's App Manager to disable apps (they can stay disabled, even during an OTA update), or Titanium Backup to Freeze apps (you must unfreeze before taking OTA).
Thanks! That has been the clearest explanation I have seen on this topic.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

KLRTN
Old
Thanks Meter 9
I rooted my phone and deleted 3 verizon apps (without backing them up) prior to learning what the consequences would be in deleting. Rookie mistake on my part but I was coming from a Nexus and was never concerned with OTA updates or bloatware.

Now I am trying to figure out if I can download the apks for the deleted files and push them back to the system folder on the phone. I have done a bit of searching and have not found anything or anywhere to download the correct files.

danger2u
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLRTN View Post
I rooted my phone and deleted 3 verizon apps (without backing them up) prior to learning what the consequences would be in deleting. Rookie mistake on my part but I was coming from a Nexus and was never concerned with OTA updates or bloatware.

Now I am trying to figure out if I can download the apks for the deleted files and push them back to the system folder on the phone. I have done a bit of searching and have not found anything or anywhere to download the correct files.
HERE u have the vzw files and apks
i extracted from my moto x
hope helps u
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwT...it?usp=sharing
The Following User Says Thank You to danger2u For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

KLRTN
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by danger2u View Post
HERE u have the vzw files and apks
i extracted from my moto x
hope helps u
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwT...it?usp=sharing
Thank you very much. That was exactly what I needed.