Verizon Moto X on AT&T

Search This thread

greenro89

Jul 24, 2010
Grand Forks, ND
So I'm looking to upgrade but don't want to be stuck in another 2 yr contract. I'm thinking of using Verizon's edge program and getting the moto x and then paying the rest off when my contract is up at the end of the year. I would like to know if its possible to then go with an AT&T sim card and prepaid option in the same phone?

I have read all Verizon 4G phones come sim unlocked. I can't find either if the Verizon version comes with the GSM radios necessary to do this.

Any help on the subject would be great! Really tired of Verizon..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: enriquejones666

gunnyman

Apr 12, 2010
Greenville SC
Won't work. Vzw uses Cdma for voice and lte for data. Unless someone proves me wrong, the phone can't do voice calls on att network

rubiksmoose

Feb 4, 2011
Detroit
Won't work. Vzw uses Cdma for voice and lte for data. Unless someone proves me wrong, the phone can't do voice calls on att network

That is my understanding as well. Won't work. Networks incompatible.

---------- Post added at 10:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 AM ----------

So I'm looking to upgrade but don't want to be stuck in another 2 yr contract. I'm thinking of using Verizon's edge program and getting the moto x and then paying the rest off when my contract is up at the end of the year. I would like to know if its possible to then go with an AT&T sim card and prepaid option in the same phone?

I have read all Verizon 4G phones come sim unlocked. I can't find either if the Verizon version comes with the GSM radios necessary to do this.

The carrier issue aside (see above) you should not even consider upgrading with Edge unless you want to pay for you phone twice. It is a complete rip off.

swells93

Account currently disabled
Jan 17, 2012
https://t.me/pump_upp
t.me
All newer Verizon phones are gsm unlocked and will be able to do voice and most of them hspa+ data on ATT. Weather the lte will work really depends on the phone and what radios they put in it.

Sent from my XT1060 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

---------- Post added at 10:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 AM ----------

Just checked for the moto x and no LTE but everything else should work just fine

Reactions: Crowd_Control

KidJoe

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 23, 2008
Thorndale/Romansville, PA
It is possible to use a GSM carrier's sim in Verizon's phones for both voice and data. What would you like as Proof?

I don't have an X yet, but....

I have both Verizon and T-Mobile lines for work. (Verizon for personal).

My T-Mobile phone is a Galaxy S3. When T-Mo started supporting the iPhone, our corp rep swapped my sim to a T-Mo Nano SIM for me.

Since then, I have put my T-Mobile sim into my Verizon iPhone 5, VZW Galaxy S4, VZW BB Z10, VZW BB Q10, and VZW Nokia 928. Doing so works fine for voice, data and text messaging on T-Mobiles network, but at EDGE speeds since these VZW phones don't support the 1700mhz UMTS/HSPA/HSPA+ bands that T-Mo uses. They do support the 1900mhz band that ATT uses, but I don't have an ATT sim handy to pop them in.

Oh, and I did need to use a SIM adapter to convert between nano and micro since only the iPhone 5 uses Nano sim. I do not recall results of trying to SMS, I really don't sms anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: Axilarry

Polymira

Oct 14, 2009

I hate seeing this response all the time on Verizon devices. Most modern Verizon LTE phones do GSM just fine. Verizon used to call this being a "World Phone", but really all Verizon phones are world devices now. Galaxy S3/4, Note 2/3, all of Moto's phones, etc.

From the Verizon Moto X specs page:

Network
Network: LTE, CDMA/1xEVDO Rev. A (800/1900 MHz)
Global Network: EDGE/GSM (850/900/1800/1900), HSPA/UMTS( 850/900/1900/2100), HSDPA 42.2 Mbps (Category 20), HSUPA 5.76 Mbps

M

mentose457

Since the X works on ATT it should work with a Straight Talk ATT Sim card right?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

sleepyguy007

Nov 15, 2010
i think in the past verizon phones were GSM locked for only europe / asia and not US GSM carriers.

i think the moto x, and the droid ultra/maxx/mini are not GSM locked for US.

i just switched from verizon to t-mobile. and my last phone was a droid razr m. i unlocked the radio to be able to use t-mobile for a week before my moto-x came, and it DOES work on at&t / t-mobile.

in this case it supported at&t / t-mobile on edge and voice. with 1900mhz hspa+ at&t 3g (and refarmed t-mobile band). no LTE support.

i think the xt1060 is the verizon moto -x and it doesnt havef support for t-mobile HSPA + 1700/2100 AWS or the t-mobile or at&t LTE bands.

so if you bought a verizon moto x, and used it on at&t in the future you'd only get hspa+ 1900mhz at&T "4G". and edge/voice. but it should work fine.

ktt4510

Oct 20, 2010
Dayton, OH
Okay so the next question would be, does this also apply to Sprint's Moto X? I hope it does but I am not holding my breath.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium HD app

sleepyguy007

Nov 15, 2010
Okay so the next question would be, does this also apply to Sprint's Moto X? I hope it does but I am not holding my breath.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium HD app

i don tthink sprint has GSM unlocked by default. you'd have to find a way to unlock it, which from the sounds of it on this forum from other posters is not easy. probably have to be a sprint customer and say you are going on a trip to europe etc...

Crowd_Control

Oct 7, 2013
Maxx works...ish

I got a T-Mobile SIM for my VZW Droid Maxx (same chipset as the Moto X). With no changes to any settings it gets voice and text, and after manually inputting the T-Mobile APN I picked up H+ and the 1900 MHz 4G in my area. There's an article on Android Central with pictures of a Droid Ultra on a GSM network (I think AT&T).

That said, Verizon's tech support maintain that their unlocked phones aren't allowed to use any non-Verizon US carrier. They also said that if I take a U.S. T-Mobile SIM card roaming outside the US it will work there. The last generation of carrier locks were based on the nationality of the SIM card, not the tower, so that doesn't make much sense. Further reason to question anything tech support tells you.

Last edited:

tshay508

Dec 17, 2013
I have a Verizon moto x and I placed my Att nano Sim in and I can only seem to get hspa+ not LTE. Other than that everything else seems to work fine.

phositadc

May 7, 2010
I have a Verizon moto x and I placed my Att nano Sim in and I can only seem to get hspa+ not LTE. Other than that everything else seems to work fine.

I think you would get LTE if you unlock the bootloader and flash the att modem files. I think some people with the Dev edition ultra maxx flashed the att X radio and it enabled LTE.

Sent from my Nexus 7

SOMFW

Mar 30, 2010

I am ready for a new phone, but would like to be done with Verizon once they take away my unlimited plan. I read a few posts where it is said that the cdma phones would work on T-Mobile, the carrier I will be going to next. Can anyone confirm or deny the ability to use on both networks?

Thanks

I put a T-mobile SIM in my stock 16GB Verizon Moto x. Here is what works and doesn't.

First off, 4G works! in the South Jersey area and it is Blistering fast, I have exceeded 40MB speed test downloads twice, Several in the high 30s and I am avg in mid 20s. Uploads are averaging 20+/- . Compared to Verizon this is like comparing Fios to 1999 era dial up. the best I ever got on Verizon 4G was 14 download but average between 4 and 9 !
The Network notification switches a lot between 4G, "H" mode, whatever that is, just bars and another which I didn't catch quick enough to read ?
Battery has been amazing compared to my galaxy Nexus, I got 7.5 hours of Actual "Screen on Time" which included some GPS use and an hour of music streaming total phone up time was 34+ hours. How long it will perform like this is anyone's guess, today i got about 6.5 of Screen on time. I hope this inst a trend

Now for the bad news - Using it as a Phone. Incoming calls are fine but, making outgoing is a Pain in the A$$.
When I dial a number, (which is a hassle on this KitKat dialer) it often goes to the home screen or back to the dialer. The Call Fails. I am not sure if my dialer is buggy or its a compatibility problem. the KitKat Dialer on the Moto X is an exorcise in futility. Google are you listening? Why reinvent the wheel. All I want in my Dialer is a Number Pad! and a phone book.

When I Open dialer I see Recent calls up top, the whole middle section says all contacts and is otherwise blank, the bottom has the number pad icon, History and settings dots.
Clicking the number pad icon enlarges the bottom section, which then goes all white and removes the three icons. I have to then click the back arrow and re-click the number pad icon to bring it up the actual dialer. .
At this time I can dial. and then the call always fails on the first attempt. Sometimes it takes several attempts to go through.
When I click send on the dialer the 4G disappears and I am left with just the bars. they come back when call is done but sometimes take a few minutes to do so.
If you Kill the dialer app or swipe it away, coming back to it you will have the same issues when trying to get the number pad (two attempts) if you dont, the number pad will open on first attempt. but the calls will still fail on the first try.

I also cant use the internet when in a call, whether WiFi is on or off. Is this a T-mobile problem? I could use the net in Verizon when in a call when on 4G or WiFi

The Data is set to global mode but I have tried both the other settings. On boot up I get a warning saying the SIM is not recognized which I just swipe away.
I am also having this problem. After making a call, the music player and the phones "volume" aspects cease to work., Meaning, I get no sound out of the phone, Music, notifications alarms etc.. This happens almost every time and the only fix is a reboot

I disabled all Verizon Bloat and a lot of Moto Bloat as well This could be causing some of the bugs? But i have tested several different configurations all with the same outcomes.

Hope this helps and puts an end to the - Will it work or not questions. There seem to be a lot of Net Know it all's that flat out say a Verizon Moto x wont work with a T-Mobile SIM or some other undocumented "fact"

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I hate seeing this response all the time on Verizon devices. Most modern Verizon LTE phones do GSM just fine. Verizon used to call this being a "World Phone", but really all Verizon phones are world devices now. Galaxy S3/4, Note 2/3, all of Moto's phones, etc.

From the Verizon Moto X specs page:

Network
    Network: LTE, CDMA/1xEVDO Rev. A (800/1900 MHz)
    Global Network: EDGE/GSM (850/900/1800/1900), HSPA/UMTS( 850/900/1900/2100), HSDPA 42.2 Mbps (Category 20), HSUPA 5.76 Mbps

All newer Verizon phones are gsm unlocked and will be able to do voice and most of them hspa+ data on ATT. Weather the lte will work really depends on the phone and what radios they put in it.

---------- Post added at 10:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 AM ----------

Just checked for the moto x and no LTE but everything else should work just fine

It is possible to use a GSM carrier's sim in Verizon's phones for both voice and data. What would you like as Proof?

I don't have an X yet, but....

I have both Verizon and T-Mobile lines for work. (Verizon for personal).

My T-Mobile phone is a Galaxy S3. When T-Mo started supporting the iPhone, our corp rep swapped my sim to a T-Mo Nano SIM for me.

Since then, I have put my T-Mobile sim into my Verizon iPhone 5, VZW Galaxy S4, VZW BB Z10, VZW BB Q10, and VZW Nokia 928. Doing so works fine for voice, data and text messaging on T-Mobiles network, but at EDGE speeds since these VZW phones don't support the 1700mhz UMTS/HSPA/HSPA+ bands that T-Mo uses. They do support the 1900mhz band that ATT uses, but I don't have an ATT sim handy to pop them in.

Oh, and I did need to use a SIM adapter to convert between nano and micro since only the iPhone 5 uses Nano sim. I do not recall results of trying to SMS, I really don't sms anyway.
    The Droid Ultra connects to At&t without any modification required:
    http://www.droid-life.com/2013/08/22/droid-ultra-can-connect-to-atts-hspa-network-out-of-the-box/

In the past some phones on Verizon with GSM capabilities were software restricted from connecting to US GSM providers.