XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Verizon Moto X on AT&T

Tip us?

greenro89
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 19
Default Verizon Moto X on AT&T

So I'm looking to upgrade but don't want to be stuck in another 2 yr contract. I'm thinking of using Verizon's edge program and getting the moto x and then paying the rest off when my contract is up at the end of the year. I would like to know if its possible to then go with an AT&T sim card and prepaid option in the same phone?

I have read all Verizon 4G phones come sim unlocked. I can't find either if the Verizon version comes with the GSM radios necessary to do this.

Any help on the subject would be great! Really tired of Verizon..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
The Following User Says Thank You to greenro89 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

gunnyman
Old
Thanks Meter 2647

DONATE TO ME
Won't work. Vzw uses Cdma for voice and lte for data. Unless someone proves me wrong, the phone can't do voice calls on att network
Uncle Gunny says, "MAKE A NANDROID"
LG G2 Uncarriered
LG Gpad 8.3 GPE
Rooted and Xposed
Don't be a d*ck -Wil Wheaton
Unlocking and rooting your HTC One with a Mac
Oh BTW I'm fat.

rubiksmoose
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnyman View Post
Won't work. Vzw uses Cdma for voice and lte for data. Unless someone proves me wrong, the phone can't do voice calls on att network
That is my understanding as well. Won't work. Networks incompatible.

---------- Post added at 10:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenro89 View Post
So I'm looking to upgrade but don't want to be stuck in another 2 yr contract. I'm thinking of using Verizon's edge program and getting the moto x and then paying the rest off when my contract is up at the end of the year. I would like to know if its possible to then go with an AT&T sim card and prepaid option in the same phone?

I have read all Verizon 4G phones come sim unlocked. I can't find either if the Verizon version comes with the GSM radios necessary to do this.

Any help on the subject would be great! Really tired of Verizon..

The carrier issue aside (see above) you should not even consider upgrading with Edge unless you want to pay for you phone twice. It is a complete rip off.
Current Device: Moto X [AT&T]
Previous: Galaxy Nexus (toro), Droid X

swells93
Old
Thanks Meter 1
All newer Verizon phones are gsm unlocked and will be able to do voice and most of them hspa+ data on ATT. Weather the lte will work really depends on the phone and what radios they put in it.

Sent from my XT1060 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

---------- Post added at 10:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 AM ----------

Just checked for the moto x and no LTE but everything else should work just fine

Sent from my XT1060 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to swells93 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

KidJoe
Old
(Last edited by KidJoe; 13th September 2013 at 06:28 PM.)
Thanks Meter 359
Quote:
It is possible to use a GSM carrier's sim in Verizon's phones for both voice and data. What would you like as Proof?

I don't have an X yet, but....

I have both Verizon and T-Mobile lines for work. (Verizon for personal).

My T-Mobile phone is a Galaxy S3. When T-Mo started supporting the iPhone, our corp rep swapped my sim to a T-Mo Nano SIM for me.

Since then, I have put my T-Mobile sim into my Verizon iPhone 5, VZW Galaxy S4, VZW BB Z10, VZW BB Q10, and VZW Nokia 928. Doing so works fine for voice, data and text messaging on T-Mobiles network, but at EDGE speeds since these VZW phones don't support the 1700mhz UMTS/HSPA/HSPA+ bands that T-Mo uses. They do support the 1900mhz band that ATT uses, but I don't have an ATT sim handy to pop them in.

Oh, and I did need to use a SIM adapter to convert between nano and micro since only the iPhone 5 uses Nano sim. I do not recall results of trying to SMS, I really don't sms anyway.
The Following User Says Thank You to KidJoe For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Polymira
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
I hate seeing this response all the time on Verizon devices. Most modern Verizon LTE phones do GSM just fine. Verizon used to call this being a "World Phone", but really all Verizon phones are world devices now. Galaxy S3/4, Note 2/3, all of Moto's phones, etc.

From the Verizon Moto X specs page:

Quote:
Network
Network: LTE, CDMA/1xEVDO Rev. A (800/1900 MHz)
Global Network: EDGE/GSM (850/900/1800/1900), HSPA/UMTS( 850/900/1900/2100), HSDPA 42.2 Mbps (Category 20), HSUPA 5.76 Mbps
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Polymira For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

gunnyman
Old
Thanks Meter 2647

DONATE TO ME
I stand corrected and won't spread misinformation any more. Thanks for educating me.
Uncle Gunny says, "MAKE A NANDROID"
LG G2 Uncarriered
LG Gpad 8.3 GPE
Rooted and Xposed
Don't be a d*ck -Wil Wheaton
Unlocking and rooting your HTC One with a Mac
Oh BTW I'm fat.

greenro89
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 19
Thanks everyone for all the replies! I have heard so many things and this clears the air for me.

spunker88
Old
Thanks Meter 332
The Droid Ultra connects to At&t without any modification required:
http://www.droid-life.com/2013/08/22...ut-of-the-box/

In the past some phones on Verizon with GSM capabilities were software restricted from connecting to US GSM providers.
Motorola Droid Bionic
Stock 4.1.2 Rooted
CM11 4.4 Safestrap

HP Touchpad
Evervolv 4.4

Toshiba Encore
Windows 8.1
The Following User Says Thank You to spunker88 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
mentose457 Old
Thanks Meter
Since the X works on ATT it should work with a Straight Talk ATT Sim card right?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4