Unofficial CM12 for Android One, Disabling Encryption on Nexus 6 – XDA TV

Android One devices have received an Unofficial CyanogenMod … more

Pushbullet Universal Copy/Paste Availabe for Linux, Mac OS X

Pushbullet is one of those useful utilities that once installed, permanently … more

Enable the Hidden Notification LED on the Google Nexus 6!

LED notification lights have existed on Android devices since the very beginnings … more

MX Player Ready to Rock on Lollipop

A good video player should be reliable and free. One of the XDA Community Apps, MX Player, meets both of … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Verizon Moto X on AT&T

OP AndrewJohn814

17th July 2014, 06:59 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
Okay, so here we go..

This is a thread we've all seen before 1000 times, except.. mines a little different.

So after having Verizon for a few years, and getting real tired of their ****.. I cancelled my contract, paid my fees and dipped. I work at a RadioShack and we get a real killer deal on AT&T plans, so I couldn't pass it up. Now as far as getting a new device, I decided to wait until the Moto X+1 drops in August to pick up a phone, and since the Verizon Moto X is Sim Unlocked, I grabbed a nano Sim out of the drawer, and went to town.

Believe it or not.. Everything turned out better than expected. I wasn't getting LTE, but I was getting HSPA+ at around 12-15mbps, which I could live with for the time being. Called AT&T just to see if there were any chance of me getting LTE. Found out, that the XT1060 (the Verizon Moto X) registers in their system as a Moto Droid Razr, which since that isn't a LTE phone, they won't try to send that associated SIM LTE. So between me, the customer service guy, and my AT&T Rep.. We figured if we threw any old XT1058 IMEI on my account, it would send the SIM LTE signal.. Got that done, and presto. LTE!

Now.. Hereeeeeee comes the fun part.
3-4 days later now.. I woke up this morning, and noticed my phone had -NO- service, whatsoever.. So I power cycle it, and it comes back up, gives me that bull**** "This Sim is from an unknown source" bull****.. and then proceeds to show me my LTE is back. I go to call my AT&T rep, and it comes up "Mobile Network Unavailable". Phone flickers black, sends me back to the home screen, and my service bar starts going berserk. It switches from No service, to 3 bars of H+, 1 bar of H, full bars of E, 2 bars of LTE, and everything in between. I'm standing still, and this thing is going craaaaaaaaaazy. Finally, it dies down and starts to even out at about 4 bars of H+. Any time it pops up with LTE, i get super awesome speeds, but cant make any kind of calls, or texts, and when I try to call/text, it does the service cycling thing again.

Any ideas?

I'm of course on 4.4.2, so I can't root.. So all the solutions need to be non-root capable.

inb4 just sell it and get an AT&T Moto X.

I plan on it, if all else fails. Why not try to breathe just a little bit of life into this one first.
17th July 2014, 07:10 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 1,777

2,025 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewJohn814

Okay, so here we go..

This is a thread we've all seen before 1000 times, except.. mines a little different.

So after having Verizon for a few years, and getting real tired of their ****.. I cancelled my contract, paid my fees and dipped. I work at a RadioShack and we get a real killer deal on AT&T plans, so I couldn't pass it up. Now as far as getting a new device, I decided to wait until the Moto X+1 drops in August to pick up a phone, and since the Verizon Moto X is Sim Unlocked, I grabbed a nano Sim out of the drawer, and went to town.

Believe it or not.. Everything turned out better than expected. I wasn't getting LTE, but I was getting HSPA+ at around 12-15mbps, which I could live with for the time being. Called AT&T just to see if there were any chance of me getting LTE. Found out, that the XT1060 (the Verizon Moto X) registers in their system as a Moto Droid Razr, which since that isn't a LTE phone, they won't try to send that associated SIM LTE. So between me, the customer service guy, and my AT&T Rep.. We figured if we threw any old XT1058 IMEI on my account, it would send the SIM LTE signal.. Got that done, and presto. LTE!

Now.. Hereeeeeee comes the fun part.
3-4 days later now.. I woke up this morning, and noticed my phone had -NO- service, whatsoever.. So I power cycle it, and it comes back up, gives me that bull**** "This Sim is from an unknown source" bull****.. and then proceeds to show me my LTE is back. I go to call my AT&T rep, and it comes up "Mobile Network Unavailable". Phone flickers black, sends me back to the home screen, and my service bar starts going berserk. It switches from No service, to 3 bars of H+, 1 bar of H, full bars of E, 2 bars of LTE, and everything in between. I'm standing still, and this thing is going craaaaaaaaaazy. Finally, it dies down and starts to even out at about 4 bars of H+. Any time it pops up with LTE, i get super awesome speeds, but cant make any kind of calls, or texts, and when I try to call/text, it does the service cycling thing again.

Any ideas?

I'm of course on 4.4.2, so I can't root.. So all the solutions need to be non-root capable.

inb4 just sell it and get an AT&T Moto X.

I plan on it, if all else fails. Why not try to breathe just a little bit of life into this one first.

This a known issue on 4.4.2 - it has been reported by many users. From what I understand, Verizon did -something- because they didn't want their devices being use on domestic U.S. carriers. From all reports, GSM works flawlessly on international carriers, but has issues on domestic.

Before I advise you that it would be best to sell your X and get another, I will see if any other users have suggestions for you.

Also, if you DO decide to sell, I highly suggest that you do NOT buy the AT&T Moto X. The AT&T variant is not bootloader-unlockable (so no root/write-protect-disable), AND it is SIM-Locked to AT&T. Instead, buy the T-Mobile variant! The T-Mobile variant comes with NO bloat, IS bootloader unlockable (hello root!), AND is SIM-Unlocked for ANY GSM carrier (including AT&T). The AT&T variant DOES support 2 additional LTE bands, but AT&T has not implemented these bands in the United States yet. They are only testing the new bands in a few select markets. This means that the T-Mobile variant will support all LTE frequencies currently used by AT&T, AND has the added benefit of supporting the AWS band that is used extensively by T-Mobile, should you ever have reason to switch.

Good Luck
17th July 2014, 04:57 PM   |  #3  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Thorndale/Romansville, PA
Thanks Meter: 911

2,176 posts
More
the message of "This Sim is from an unknown source" is part of the Verizon ROM. It was introduced with the 4.4 update. It was not there in 4.2.2 and 4.2.2 with camera fix.

The issue of trying to use LTE and the phone rebooting is known. There is discussion in this thread -> http://forum.xda-developers.com/moto...obile-t2578665 as well as work around and potential fixes. While its centered around T-Mobile as the network, the same tips/tricks could be modified for use on ATT.

Since the Verizon X supports LTE Band 4 and 13, and ATT is using Bands 2, 4, 5, 7 and 17, you're only going to get ATT LTE where they have Band 4, the easy way to fix is just force the X to NOT use LTE, or remove that XT1058 IMEI to go back to ATT thinking you have a GSM/GPRS/HSPA device.
The Following User Says Thank You to KidJoe For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th July 2014, 07:25 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 52

371 posts
Thanks for sharing that.

I found this:

These are the steps I used to turn off LTE and enable HSPA:

1) Download/install the app LTE OnOff
2) Change Mobile Network type in Settings to LTE / GSM / UMTS
3) On LTE OnOff, hit the Three-Dot menu in the top right, and select "Select radio band"
4) Select USA Band
5) Hit the Turn Off Radio button
6) Select GSM auto (PRL) under Preferred Network Type
7) Turn On Radio

The phone should show no data for a second, then 3G, then eventually an H for HSPA will be displayed.

You can also try GSM only or WCDMA preferred if GSM auto doesn't work.

Still trying to figure out how to get LTE to play nice with it.

From here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...5&postcount=16

I think HSPA+ with 6MB down is plenty for anything we use on a daily basis. I'm debating about picking Droid Ultra Maxx to use on AT&T as well but all the reading about these issues is making me nervous. Moto X + 1 isn't getting here fast enough and I need the extra .3 inches

Edit: I found another link with app and steps:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2591954
Last edited by noobsquared; 17th July 2014 at 07:27 PM.
17th July 2014, 08:49 PM   |  #5  
XDA: ASSIST
Recognized Contributor
Flag The boonies - southwest Ontario
Thanks Meter: 4,646

12,255 posts
More
I'm curious....won't the phone be a hot mess if you sell it....and have the seller demand a refund?
23rd September 2014, 09:56 PM   |  #6  
Flag tulsa
Thanks Meter: 1

18 posts
More
Here is an interesting observation I made today... I have an xt1060 with a straight talk at&t sim in it... how does that work... How am I getting at&t LTE on a Verizon phone

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
Last edited by cuballevo; 24th September 2014 at 12:03 AM.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread