Verizon Moto X Sim card from unknown source

22nd April 2014, 04:43 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Socal
Thanks Meter: 10

137 posts
More
So I sold my Moto X on swappa and had some issues with the buyer activating the phone. They kept getting a message that said "Sim card from unknown source" with a Verizon sim. I know this happens with sims from other carriers but not from Verizon sims. The phone has a clear IMEI and the account is paid and clear. I recently switched to tmo and thought the porting process was initially the problem. Could it be there is some other hold up on Verizon's end that is preventing the phone from being activated with another account? The phone was working perfectly prior to sending it off and I switched about a day ahead of mailing it out. I don't have access to a verizon nano sim (or account) anymore to test the phone either.

Currently running 4.4 rooted with WP disabled using jcase's method for root and WPNOMORE. Its factory other than that though. I didn't add any user data prior to mailing out and it remains that way. The whole situation has me stumped on what's going on. Do you guys think using RSDlite to go back to a stock 4.4 or 4.2.2 to reroot will fix the issue? I do have access to an ATT nano sim (buddy has a motox) but I don't know anyone with a nano sim from verizon to test the phone. Any help would be great because I'm basically sitting on this phone and have zero use for it.
22nd April 2014, 06:25 PM   |  #2  
Flag Detroit
Thanks Meter: 2

26 posts
More
A new buyer will need to take it to Verizon to get a new SIM. Verizon will do this for free. Even though it seems trivial, they won't put the new SIM onto another account.

Based on my experience with buying a Moto X via Swappa.
22nd April 2014, 07:17 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Socal
Thanks Meter: 10

137 posts
More
Buyer said they tried several new sims and it still had the error. I'm going to see if I can test with my friends iphone5 sim and see if there are any issues. Otherwise I guess no choice but to rsd back to stock or something. Maybe reflash radios.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread