FORUMS

OnePlus 2 Forums: Discuss Everything About The OP2!

Now that the OnePlus 2 has been officially unveiled and that we have had close-up … more

Intel & Micron Announce “Revolutionary” Storage Tech

Intel & Micron have announced 3D Xpoint technology—”the … more

Google Now Interfaces With Third-Party Messaging Apps

Google has announced that Ok Google voice commands can now be used to send … more

Make Your Lockscreen More Productive With Widgets

Are you running Android Lollipop? Do you miss the ability to add widgets to your lock … more

Verizon Moto X on T-mobile

29 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By themogul, Junior Member on 21st December 2013, 04:33 AM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
Hi,

Currently with Big Red but will switch to "someone" once contract is up 3rd qtr next year. Most probably because of the the price and I am sick of VZ dropping back to 3G most of the time where I am.

If I get a Verizon Moto X can I later use that on TMobile. And/rather, a Verizon Moto X can be used on which carriers - all or none

much appreciated.

21st December 2013, 05:21 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 12

More
If it's a developer edition then "I believe" you could use it on sprint. T-Mobile is a GSM carrier and since the only option on the CDMA phones is for global GSM for international travel that you will likely not get it to work. They don't have the radios in it to work on T-mobile. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
21st December 2013, 05:56 AM |#3  
New York
Thanks Meter: 29

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by themogul

Hi,

Currently with Big Red but will switch to "someone" once contract is up 3rd qtr next year. Most probably because of the the price and I am sick of VZ dropping back to 3G most of the time where I am.

If I get a Verizon Moto X can I later use that on TMobile. And/rather, a Verizon Moto X can be used on which carriers - all or none

much appreciated.

This has been covered before yes it will. Verizon moto x is ( might be wrong) the only phone that is Sim unlocked besides T-Mobile and gsm developer edition. Tmobile Sim should work just fine.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2442735

Sent from my XT1060 using xda app-developers app
21st December 2013, 05:57 PM |#4  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawells787

This has been covered before yes it will. Verizon moto x is ( might be wrong) the only phone that is Sim unlocked besides T-Mobile and gsm developer edition. Tmobile Sim should work just fine.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2442735

Sent from my XT1060 using xda app-developers app

I put a prepaid T-Mobile sim into my Dev Verizon Moto X, and I get good LTE speeds.
21st December 2013, 06:57 PM |#5  

More
Thumbs up
Quote:
Originally Posted by folsom68

I put a prepaid T-Mobile sim into my Dev Verizon Moto X, and I get good LTE speeds.

Just seconding that I put a T-Mobile SIM in to my VZW dev edition Moto X (4.4), and it was SIM unlocked as expected, but also had good LTE signal, indicating that Band 4 is definitely enabled on these phones, contrary to published specs. Good news!
21st December 2013, 10:59 PM |#6  
Flag Greensboro, NC
Thanks Meter: 189

More
Can you make phone calls and send text messages with a T-Mo SIM in a VZW phone? Seems as if a CDMA phone would not work on a GSM network for calls and texts.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
21st December 2013, 11:46 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 121

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjb

Can you make phone calls and send text messages with a T-Mo SIM in a VZW phone? Seems as if a CDMA phone would not work on a GSM network for calls and texts.

Yes. I haven't done it with the Moto X yet, but I did it without issue previously with both the Verizon S4 and LG G2. It's part of an FCC agreement when Verizon got LTE. It's basically GSM unlocked. Data, text, and calls work.

Sent from my XT1060
22nd December 2013, 12:14 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 22

More
Quote:

Most Verizon LTE phones have a GSM radio and work on AT&T and Tmobile
22nd December 2013, 12:48 AM |#9  

More
I made a call to verify it works, and I received text messages from T-Mobile.

I also didn't have to add APNs, it seemed to figure them out.
Last edited by folsom68; 22nd December 2013 at 12:53 AM.
22nd December 2013, 02:06 AM |#10  
Flag Chicago
Thanks Meter: 64

More
Sprint won't work. Cause most of the CDMA bands and LTE bands are different.

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 08:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:05 PM ----------

But I'm pretty sure T-Mobile will cause it is Sim unlocked

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk
22nd December 2013, 03:51 AM |#11  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Thorndale/Romansville, PA
Thanks Meter: 1,502

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by supr2nr

If it's a developer edition then "I believe" you could use it on sprint. T-Mobile is a GSM carrier and since the only option on the CDMA phones is for global GSM for international travel that you will likely not get it to work. They don't have the radios in it to work on T-mobile. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes, you are wrong. It does work with either a "retail" Verizon phone, or developer edition.

The big misconception is that since Verizon uses CDMA for voice and sms, that their phones only work on CDMA. This is NOT True.

Because Verizon's 4G LTE phones are "global" they support the same GSM/GPRS/Edge bands as ATT and T-Mobile for voice and data so they can be used globally on GSM carrier networks. Another little plus is that due to the FCC rules around their 700Mhz spectrum, they are SIM unlocked, so they happen to work with ATT and T-Mobile sim inserted. Since ATT uses the same bands for HSPA and HSPA+ as they do for EDGE, you can get HSPA speeds. In areas where T-Mobile's "network modernization" has refarmed their 1900Mhz edge to HSPA, you'll get HSPA speeds. In Tmobile areas that HSPA is still over AWS, you'll fall back to Edge when trying Verizon branded devices.

Using both developer and "retail" variants of the Verizon Moto X, I have inserted my T-Mobile SIM and had it work after setting the phones to "global". I've done the same with my iPhone 5, iPhone 5S, Blackberry Z10, Q10, Nokia Lumia 928, and Samsung Galaxy S4 and Note 3. Some of the phones, like the Z10 and 928 only gave me EDGE speeds the last time I tried them. The X and S4 have given me HSPA. T-Mobile recently rolled out LTE here, as putting the T-Mo Sim in my VZW iPhne 5S last week gave me T-Mo LTE for the first time. When i get time I'll have to go back and test my other devices again to see what they do.

With recent firmware updates on my X, note 3 and Galaxy S4, I have had to manually enter T-Mobile APN settings to get them to work.
Quote:

Yes it does work as long as the APN settings come down automatically to your phone, or you manually enter the correct APN settings.

On a side note... some have asked if you can do the same with a Sprint phone (since they are cdma based too). The answer is..I don't know for sure, but it really depends. I haven't looked into the sprint phones to know their "global roaming" capabilities, and what radios and frequencies their devices support. I guess as long as their phones support the quad band GSM frequencies and are (or can be) SIM Unlocked, then you can do the same with Sprint phones to get at least Edge speeds. HSPA and LTE would again depend on the frequencies the sprint phones support, and the target carrier network uses.
Last edited by KidJoe; 22nd December 2013 at 04:10 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to KidJoe For This Useful Post: [ View ]

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread