Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,530 Members 42,434 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Verizon Moto X on T-mobile

Tip us?

themogul
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Verizon Moto X on T-mobile

Hi,

Currently with Big Red but will switch to "someone" once contract is up 3rd qtr next year. Most probably because of the the price and I am sick of VZ dropping back to 3G most of the time where I am.

If I get a Verizon Moto X can I later use that on TMobile. And/rather, a Verizon Moto X can be used on which carriers - all or none

much appreciated.

supr2nr
Old
Thanks Meter 12
If it's a developer edition then "I believe" you could use it on sprint. T-Mobile is a GSM carrier and since the only option on the CDMA phones is for global GSM for international travel that you will likely not get it to work. They don't have the radios in it to work on T-mobile. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

mawells787
Old
Thanks Meter 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by themogul View Post
Hi,

Currently with Big Red but will switch to "someone" once contract is up 3rd qtr next year. Most probably because of the the price and I am sick of VZ dropping back to 3G most of the time where I am.

If I get a Verizon Moto X can I later use that on TMobile. And/rather, a Verizon Moto X can be used on which carriers - all or none

much appreciated.
This has been covered before yes it will. Verizon moto x is ( might be wrong) the only phone that is Sim unlocked besides T-Mobile and gsm developer edition. Tmobile Sim should work just fine.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2442735

Sent from my XT1060 using xda app-developers app

folsom68
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawells787 View Post
This has been covered before yes it will. Verizon moto x is ( might be wrong) the only phone that is Sim unlocked besides T-Mobile and gsm developer edition. Tmobile Sim should work just fine.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2442735

Sent from my XT1060 using xda app-developers app
I put a prepaid T-Mobile sim into my Dev Verizon Moto X, and I get good LTE speeds.

nethead25
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by folsom68 View Post
I put a prepaid T-Mobile sim into my Dev Verizon Moto X, and I get good LTE speeds.

Just seconding that I put a T-Mobile SIM in to my VZW dev edition Moto X (4.4), and it was SIM unlocked as expected, but also had good LTE signal, indicating that Band 4 is definitely enabled on these phones, contrary to published specs. Good news!

scottjb
Old
Thanks Meter 150
Can you make phone calls and send text messages with a T-Mo SIM in a VZW phone? Seems as if a CDMA phone would not work on a GSM network for calls and texts.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

SupaSwag
Old
Thanks Meter 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjb View Post
Can you make phone calls and send text messages with a T-Mo SIM in a VZW phone? Seems as if a CDMA phone would not work on a GSM network for calls and texts.

Yes. I haven't done it with the Moto X yet, but I did it without issue previously with both the Verizon S4 and LG G2. It's part of an FCC agreement when Verizon got LTE. It's basically GSM unlocked. Data, text, and calls work.

Sent from my XT1060

wolfedude88
Old
Thanks Meter 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjb View Post

Most Verizon LTE phones have a GSM radio and work on AT&T and Tmobile

folsom68
Old
(Last edited by folsom68; 22nd December 2013 at 12:53 AM.)
Thanks Meter 0
I made a call to verify it works, and I received text messages from T-Mobile.

I also didn't have to add APNs, it seemed to figure them out.

Kittiesoncrack
Old
Thanks Meter 61
Sprint won't work. Cause most of the CDMA bands and LTE bands are different.

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 08:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:05 PM ----------

But I'm pretty sure T-Mobile will cause it is Sim unlocked

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk
Old Phones: Galaxy Nexus (in a drawer somewhere) Epic 4G Touch (sold)
Current Phones: Moto X (Unlcked Bootloader, 4.4.2 )