Verizon Moto X on T-mobile

Tip us?

landale
Old
Thanks Meter 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by pschatz12 View Post
I've tried it all
Aside from the removal of the fast.t-mobile.com APN the only other thing I noticed was the change Select Network option in Mobile Network Settings. I am pretty sure before you set a preference but now it's UTMS only, GSM only and Automatic. I am sure you have already tried all of these but if not maybe you can take a look there? It appears this option is greyed out if you aren't set to LTE/GSM/UMTS.

pschatz12
Old
Thanks Meter 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by landale View Post
Aside from the removal of the fast.t-mobile.com APN the only other thing I noticed was the change Select Network option in Mobile Network Settings. I am pretty sure before you set a preference but now it's UTMS only, GSM only and Automatic. I am sure you have already tried all of these but if not maybe you can take a look there? It appears this option is greyed out if you aren't set to LTE/GSM/UMTS.
I tried. I'm frustrated as hell and feel I should have bought the T-Mobile version and just used a Verizon sim in it. Idk why its so difficult to figure this stuff out. Maybe someone else smarter then me can get it to work!

---------- Post added at 12:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:52 PM ----------

Do you think I have to call Verizon and get it unlocked? I know they say they are factory unlocked but I'm on an unlimited data plan still. Could they possibly block me from using other sims? I pop the T-Mobile sim in my wife's Verizon iPhone 5 and it works perfectly.

---------- Post added at 12:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:54 PM ----------

It boots up and then says Sorry this sim card is from an unknown source. I click OK and have edge speed data and then no data at all. Any ideas?

landale
Old
Thanks Meter 47
Quote:
I tried. I'm frustrated as hell and feel I should have bought the T-Mobile version and just used a Verizon sim in it. Idk why its so difficult to figure this stuff out. Maybe someone else smarter then me can get it to work!

---------- Post added at 12:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:52 PM ----------

Do you think I have to call Verizon and get it unlocked? I know they say they are factory unlocked but I'm on an unlimited data plan still. Could they possibly block me from using other sims? I pop the T-Mobile sim in my wife's Verizon iPhone 5 and it works perfectly.
The phone is still SIM unlocked as I imagine you still get signal for voice and texting and Verizon is required to have all LTE phones be SIM unlocked. It's the data side that isn't working. This usually means an issue with the APN as the phone is still listed as being GSM capable so it would have to work at least on GSM and HSPA for global travelers. The issue here has to be something that changed in how it connects to the T-Mobile US network. Which APN did you enter for T-Mobile?

pschatz12
Old
Thanks Meter 115
Read my last post. Here's the screen shots. I can't connect to anything T-Mobile. Sim not recognized. Could they possibly be blocking me since I'm on an old plan?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1393265101681.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	249.8 KB
ID:	2598371   Click image for larger version

Name:	1393265116678.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	249.8 KB
ID:	2598372  

landale
Old
Thanks Meter 47
Quote:
Read my last post. Here's the screen shots. I can't connect to anything T-Mobile. Sim not recognized. Could they possibly be blocking me since I'm on an old plan?
The phone shows you are connected to T-Mobile but as it picks up a signal however it is not pulling a phone number off of the SIM and obviously not connecting to the data network. Here is a suggestion from another thread I found for the Droid Ultra which is a similar phone. The app he references is similar to the one I suggested yesterday so you can try using that one instead first.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...46&postcount=1

landale
Old
Thanks Meter 47
Just to follow up here. Another user reported getting HSPA+ data on 4.4.2 by changing the APN. This makes sense as I am almost certain the problem is that the new built in APN for T-Mobile is broken. Here is my post in the other thread that shows the old 4.4 APN and the new 4.4.2 APN.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...75&postcount=8

Maybe you can try adding a new APN, say calling it T-Mobile Fixed using the exact APN information used in the 4.4 build. The select that from the APN list and try again?

Zandrelli
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Thumbs up Success in SoCal

I have had similar issues of not connecting to the TMO network when I got my Moto X from Motorola. While under 4.4.0, after playing with some settings I was successful while using the following Settings UNDER Mobilel Network Settings:
Data enable: √ (checked on)
Preferred Network Type: LTE/GSM/UMTS (do not use Global)
Access Point Names (leave it blank) it will be pulled over the air automagically [I will try to enter the APN once I know the LTE APN from TMO]
Network Operators: (selecte it and it will search for the available Networks, use TMO if you are using TMO's sim or ATT if using ATTm sim)
Select Network: UMTS only

Obviously, this applies to a Retail Verizon MotoX that comes automatically unlocked. No need to call the carrier.

One very interesting point, while under KitKat 4.4.0, I was able to reach 4G LTE, it would have the logo on the top right corner. I tested the speed (using speedtest.net) and when near to a cell tower, I would achieve speeds in excess of 25Mb!!!! using TMO's network. On the average around Los Angeles, I was getting 8Mb which is good. HOWEVER, once I upgraded to 4.4.2, I ONLY see the H+ signal and my average speeds have come down to 6Mb. I guess something must have happen with the 4.4.2. upgrade.

The voice and text issues, I did not test, since I use GoogleVoice EXCLUSIVELY for all my calls and since said services uses the internet for all functions of calling and texting, I have not had a problem. So it may help in using Google voice to make calls is necessary.

I hope the this info helps. Ciao.
~ Z
The Following User Says Thank You to Zandrelli For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

andywxy
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Thanks man! So far only your post worked for me, now both Data and Calls works.

Interesting thing though, when the phone reboots, it still complains the Sim is from an unknown source But that did not effect its functionality. Also I'm only seeing H+ signal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandrelli View Post
I have had similar issues of not connecting to the TMO network when I got my Moto X from Motorola. While under 4.4.0, after playing with some settings I was successful while using the following Settings UNDER Mobilel Network Settings:
Data enable: √ (checked on)
Preferred Network Type: LTE/GSM/UMTS (do not use Global)
Access Point Names (leave it blank) it will be pulled over the air automagically [I will try to enter the APN once I know the LTE APN from TMO]
Network Operators: (selecte it and it will search for the available Networks, use TMO if you are using TMO's sim or ATT if using ATTm sim)
Select Network: UMTS only

Obviously, this applies to a Retail Verizon MotoX that comes automatically unlocked. No need to call the carrier.

One very interesting point, while under KitKat 4.4.0, I was able to reach 4G LTE, it would have the logo on the top right corner. I tested the speed (using speedtest.net) and when near to a cell tower, I would achieve speeds in excess of 25Mb!!!! using TMO's network. On the average around Los Angeles, I was getting 8Mb which is good. HOWEVER, once I upgraded to 4.4.2, I ONLY see the H+ signal and my average speeds have come down to 6Mb. I guess something must have happen with the 4.4.2. upgrade.

The voice and text issues, I did not test, since I use GoogleVoice EXCLUSIVELY for all my calls and since said services uses the internet for all functions of calling and texting, I have not had a problem. So it may help in using Google voice to make calls is necessary.

I hope the this info helps. Ciao.
~ Z

tunez23
Old
Thanks Meter 0
[ UOTE=andywxy;50710962]Thanks man! So far only your post worked for me, now both Data and Calls works.

Interesting thing though, when the phone reboots, it still complains the Sim is from an unknown source But that did not effect its functionality. Also I'm only seeing H+ signal.[/QUOTE]

I tried this yesterday at tmobile and came up with the same result. We couldn't get let signal at all.

ShamelesslyRed
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Thumbs up April Fools Day Joke from Motorola Support?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandrelli View Post
~ Z :cowboy:
Thank you very much for sharing your steps, you fixed my phone! I was about to eBay this little bugger after spending 30 minutes with Motorola Support via chat. They told me the following statements (I changed the names, but everything else is verbatim). Maybe this was their idea of an April Fool's Day joke:

Quote:
MotoRep: It is a CDMA phone.
MotoRep: Which can only work with Verizon.
MotoRep: It can not work with SIM card here in US but outside US>
MotoRep: Inside US, it can only work with Verizon.
Me: This is not true. It is GSM unlocked. Please review the specifications for the Verizone
Developer Edition phone.
Me: It can do GSM and CDMA.
MotoRep: BelovedCustomer, Verizon model is not a GSM unlocked.
MotoRep: Verizon is a CDMA phone which works with Verizon inside US and can work GSM and CDMA outside
US.
MotoRep: BelovedCustomer, are you still there?
Me: You are saying that the GSM part only works outside of the US? Where was this
communicated?
MotoRep: You may verify that from Verizon.
MotoRep: That is the details that I have here as a technical support.
Me: I don't understand. I bought the phone from Motorola, why would I have to talk to Verizon?
MotoRep: I apologize for the inconvenience. I understand this is frustrating. But SIM card in US will not work is a
Verizon phone.
MotoRep: You asked if where you can get this communication about how your phone works. Your phone is a
Verizon model Moto X.
MotoRep: Then that phone is for Verizon.
MotoRep: Any network details can be provided by Verizon.
Me: From my point of view I bought a phone from Motorola.com which said in the specifications that
it was GSM unlocked. You are now telling me that those details are not true
MotoRep: I thought you said it is a Verizon model Moto X developer edition, isn't it?
Me: yes
Me: I have screenshots showing it says it works with GSM
MotoRep: P lease give me a couple of minutes while I check on this.
Me: Thank you. If this phone cannot be used with T-Mobile in the US it is almost worthless to me.
MotoRep: Thanks for waiting.
MotoRep: Let me clarify this, Verizon Moto X developer edition is a CDMA phone that can work with Verizon only
inside US. It has a GSM feature because it can be a GSM phone outside US. Inside US, it can be used with
CDMA network but not with GSM. Outside US, it can be used as GSM and CDMA.
Me: Oh this is bad news for me... Do you know what the return/exchange period is on
Motorola.com purchased phones?
MotoRep: I am providing you this information to the best of my knowledge. Even you bought it from Motorola,
Verizon Moto X is made for Verizon in US. To verify all these information I have provided, you may contact
Verizon if you still need clarifications.
MotoRep: When did you purchase the phone?
MotoRep: May I know when is the date of purchase?
Me: From the email: Placed on Tuesday, 01/28/14
MotoRep: We can no longer exchange this as we have 14 days return policy from the date of purchase.
Me: Ouch
MotoRep: I really apologize.
MotoRep: BelovedCustomer, are you still there?
Me: Yes, just in shock.
Me: Thanks for your information.
MotoRep: I understand where you're coming from. This is noted.
Me: I will go and try to talk to Verizon, but I suppose they will tell me what you said.