XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Verizon Moto X on T-mobile

Tip us?

asatnik11
Old
Thanks Meter 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShamelesslyRed View Post
Thank you very much for sharing your steps, you fixed my phone! I was about to eBay this little bugger after spending 30 minutes with Motorola Support via chat. They told me the following statements (I changed the names, but everything else is verbatim). Maybe this was their idea of an April Fool's Day joke:
Lol, the Verizon version is a CDMA/LTE/GSM world phone. It doesn't have AWS bands for UMTS/HSPA but that doesn't matter if you are in areas where they've refarmed PCS to 3G, such as where I live.

I finally got LTE data and UMTS/HSPA voice working flawlessly with 4.4.2 on Tmobile by flashing the Tmobile factory firmware with RSD on my Verizon Dev edition Moto X. Before that I had to disable LTE completely to get data to work, even after fixing the APN. I wouldn't have tried this normally, but I was getting tired of only having HSPA+ data service.

I modified the XML used with RSD to NOT flash the boot loader just in case they were different between the 2 models. I did flash the modem and everything else. Do so at your own risk!!!

Hope this helps someone!

edit: I just went back and read you exchange with Moto support and I can only say :facepalm:.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to asatnik11 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

SilentMFV
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by asatnik11 View Post
Lol, the Verizon version is a CDMA/LTE/GSM world phone. It doesn't have AWS bands for UMTS/HSPA but that doesn't matter if you are in areas where they've refarmed PCS to 3G, such as where I live.

I finally got LTE data and UMTS/HSPA voice working flawlessly with 4.4.2 on Tmobile by flashing the Tmobile factory firmware with RSD on my Verizon Dev edition Moto X. Before that I had to disable LTE completely to get data to work, even after fixing the APN. I wouldn't have tried this normally, but I was getting tired of only having HSPA+ data service.

I modified the XML used with RSD to NOT flash the boot loader just in case they were different between the 2 models. I did flash the modem and everything else. Do so at your own risk!!!

Hope this helps someone!

edit: I just went back and read you exchange with Moto support and I can only say :facepalm:.

I can confirm that this process works on a NON DEV VZW MOTO X. My phone finally works as it should on the T-Mobile network, and Its all thanks to this person right here. Scary of course, but it flat out worked. I removed the getvar line as you would for any RSD flash with the moto x, and also removed the motoboot line (bootloader). ZERO errors and phone functions as it should.

bpickard
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Have either of you experienced any issues with the T-Mobile firmware? Just have to remove the bootloader portion for this to work?

SilentMFV
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpickard View Post
Have either of you experienced any issues with the T-Mobile firmware? Just have to remove the bootloader portion for this to work?
The getvar line needs removed as well, it will cause rsd to fail right off the bat, and the motoboot line. Zero errors flashing and I have experienced zero errors since the flash, everything works as it should. LTE during calls etc. As near as I can tell my phone functions exactly like the T-Mobile variant of the moto x.

asatnik11
Old
Thanks Meter 38
Quote:
The only problem I have run into is dropping to EDGE when I'm in an area where PCS hasn't been refarmed to UMTS/HSPA since the XT1060 only supports LTE on AWS frequencies, not UMTS/HSPA. In 2 weeks I've only run into this once. The firmware works flawlessly, however, this is just a hardware limitation of the XT1060 on T-mobile.

bpickard
Old
Thanks Meter 1
So remove - getvar line, motoboot line and the boot line correct? leave everything else and I should have a working LTE handoff if everything goes smoothly?

asatnik11
Old
Thanks Meter 38
Quote:
So remove - getvar line, motoboot line and the boot line correct? leave everything else and I should have a working LTE handoff if everything goes smoothly?
Just remove getvar and motoboot (bootloader). LTE handoff works great for me.

bpickard
Old
Thanks Meter 1
So did this and it seems to be working great. I had some trouble on my first go through with it not booting and since I'm in Canada I figured I would try the Rogers firmware with the same steps, that booted up fine but for some reason wouldn't see the Rogers sim that I had in the phone. I downloaded the T-Mobile firmware again and flashed it, working great now. Thank you for the solution!