Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,470 Members 40,437 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Verizon Moto X won't boot, but will boot into boot loader mode...

Tip us?

smacsteve
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Default [Q] Verizon Moto X won't boot, but will boot into boot loader mode...

then when I get it into fastboot mode (it says "AP Fastboot Flash Mode (S)" and try to do a factory reset using the volume up button it will boot back into the startup screen (Moto "M") and not go past that or if I try to use the method outlined on Motorola's support site (use the vol down key to navigate then "tap" the power button to select) it goes black and does nothing.

This phone hasn't been updated to 4.4. I'm pretty sure it has the factory 4.2 on it still.

It also says the "Device is LOCKED Status Code: 0" If this is a clue to anyone who could lead me to the right direction of how to get this device back up and running, I'd be very grateful.

scoobaspeaz
Old
Thanks Meter 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by smacsteve View Post
then when I get it into fastboot mode (it says "AP Fastboot Flash Mode (S)" and try to do a factory reset using the volume up button it will boot back into the startup screen (Moto "M") and not go past that or if I try to use the method outlined on Motorola's support site (use the vol down key to navigate then "tap" the power button to select) it goes black and does nothing.

This phone hasn't been updated to 4.4. I'm pretty sure it has the factory 4.2 on it still.

It also says the "Device is LOCKED Status Code: 0" If this is a clue to anyone who could lead me to the right direction of how to get this device back up and running, I'd be very grateful.
What was the last thing you did before this happened?

Motorola Moto X: Stock Android 4.4.2 with Xposed framework AND CyanogenMod 11
Motorola Droid Razr HD MAXX: CyanogenMod 11
------------
Tablet:
Nook Color: CM10
Nook Tablet: CM 10
------------
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

bigv5150
Old
Thanks Meter 204
Quote:

Have tried to fxz yet. It usually will fix a software issue.

nhizzat
Old
Thanks Meter 77
Use RSDLite to flash the 4.2.2 or 4.4 firmware/sbf which can be found at http://sbf.droid-developers.org. You need to be sure that you're not on 4.4.2 before doing so. If your phone has already been updated to 4.4.2, flash only the 4.4.2 firmware/sbf.

smacsteve
Old
(Last edited by smacsteve; 24th April 2014 at 04:28 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Default Which one?

I found two versions for 4.2.2 How do I know which one is correct?

KidJoe
Old
Thanks Meter 771
Quote:
I found two versions for 4.2.2 How do I know which one is correct?

If you are SURE you device had 4.2.2, then use 139.15.1 for verizon.

There are really 4 roms for Verizon...
Initial shipping 4.2.2 = 139.10.53
First OTA - 4.2.2 w/camera fix = 139.15.1
Second OTA - 4.4 = 140.45.5
Third OTA - 4.4.2 = 164.55.2

Reason nhizzat says be sure you're not on 4.4.2 is due to changes in 4.4.2 (bootloader, gpt.bin, and a few other parts). once you have 4.4.2, there are issues that will arise if you try flashing anything older. Some of those issues include bricking the phone!!

So the safest suggestion is if you have 4.4.2, do not flash anything but 4.4.2.

And you never answered what was the last thing you did that got you in this state.
aka Mark_Venture

My Moto X tips and info

Currently using Verizon Moto X Developer Edition on my personal line.. But I have too many devices to choose from for work and personal... For the full list click -> HERE <-

smacsteve
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidJoe View Post
If you are SURE you device had 4.2.2, then use 139.15.1 for verizon.

There are really 4 roms for Verizon...
Initial shipping 4.2.2 = 139.10.53
First OTA - 4.2.2 w/camera fix = 139.15.1
Second OTA - 4.4 = 140.45.5
Third OTA - 4.4.2 = 164.55.2

Reason nhizzat says be sure you're not on 4.4.2 is due to changes in 4.4.2 (bootloader, gpt.bin, and a few other parts). once you have 4.4.2, there are issues that will arise if you try flashing anything older. Some of those issues include bricking the phone!!

So the safest suggestion is if you have 4.4.2, do not flash anything but 4.4.2.

And you never answered what was the last thing you did that got you in this state.
Okay, it's kind of hard to say what the last thing was as this is a demo device that was on the sales floor at my retail establishment. So it's fair to say that it's unknown. It's been un-used for nearly since after the first of the year. It may have been going through a firmware update and ran out of power. I'm not 100% certain it didn't get to 4.4.2 What was the date of release of Kitkat for the VZN Moto X? That would be helpful to know, then I would be a bit more certain of which it is. Does this help?

KidJoe
Old
Thanks Meter 771
Quote:
Okay, it's kind of hard to say what the last thing was as this is a demo device that was on the sales floor at my retail establishment. So it's fair to say that it's unknown. It's been un-used for nearly since after the first of the year. It may have been going through a firmware update and ran out of power. I'm not 100% certain it didn't get to 4.4.2 What was the date of release of Kitkat for the VZN Moto X? That would be helpful to know, then I would be a bit more certain of which it is. Does this help?
Based on this thread -> http://forum.xda-developers.com/moto...2-vzw-t2656843 4.4.2 came out Feb 21.

I'd have to look to find the 4.4 thread.

If you don't need root (or if you have the Dev Edition for Verizon), then you might as well play it safe and just flash the 4.4.2 SBF and be done with it.
aka Mark_Venture

My Moto X tips and info

Currently using Verizon Moto X Developer Edition on my personal line.. But I have too many devices to choose from for work and personal... For the full list click -> HERE <-

smacsteve
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidJoe View Post
Based on this thread -> http://forum.xda-developers.com/moto...2-vzw-t2656843 4.4.2 came out Feb 21.

I'd have to look to find the 4.4 thread.

If you don't need root (or if you have the Dev Edition for Verizon), then you might as well play it safe and just flash the 4.4.2 SBF and be done with it.
Thanks for your help... I know it's not a VZN Dev Ed. I'm inclined to think it may have been updated to 4.4.2 or at least 4.4. I'll go with your suggestion and try to flash with the 4.4.2 SBF and as you said... "be done with it" I'm not going to have time to get to it for a few days, but I'll report back my success or dare I say it... failure? Hope not. I've got nothing to lose with this unit anyways. Just trying to get a dead demo back up and running.