Firefox OS Architecture and Collaboration Opportunities w/ Asa Dotzler – XDA:DevCon 2014

We were privileged to host many presentations … more

Unofficial Android 4.4 Lands on Three Mediatek Devices

For the last few years, devices with MTK systems-on-chip haven’t received much … more

MultiImagePicker Library for Multiple Image Selection

App developmentcan be done in more than a handful of ways. You can write every single … more

Shoot Troubles, Not Users w/ Alex Boag-Munroe – XDA:DevCon 2014

In presenting the various sessions from XDA:DevCon 2014, weve mainly … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Q] Verizon Moto X won't boot, but will boot into boot loader mode...

OP smacsteve

24th April 2014, 06:45 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 5
 
27 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
then when I get it into fastboot mode (it says "AP Fastboot Flash Mode (S)" and try to do a factory reset using the volume up button it will boot back into the startup screen (Moto "M") and not go past that or if I try to use the method outlined on Motorola's support site (use the vol down key to navigate then "tap" the power button to select) it goes black and does nothing.

This phone hasn't been updated to 4.4. I'm pretty sure it has the factory 4.2 on it still.

It also says the "Device is LOCKED Status Code: 0" If this is a clue to anyone who could lead me to the right direction of how to get this device back up and running, I'd be very grateful.
24th April 2014, 07:07 AM   |  #2  
scoobaspeaz's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Dubuque
Thanks Meter: 201
 
523 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by smacsteve

then when I get it into fastboot mode (it says "AP Fastboot Flash Mode (S)" and try to do a factory reset using the volume up button it will boot back into the startup screen (Moto "M") and not go past that or if I try to use the method outlined on Motorola's support site (use the vol down key to navigate then "tap" the power button to select) it goes black and does nothing.

This phone hasn't been updated to 4.4. I'm pretty sure it has the factory 4.2 on it still.

It also says the "Device is LOCKED Status Code: 0" If this is a clue to anyone who could lead me to the right direction of how to get this device back up and running, I'd be very grateful.

What was the last thing you did before this happened?
24th April 2014, 03:26 PM   |  #3  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 224
 
843 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by smacsteve

then when I get it into fastboot mode (it says "AP Fastboot Flash Mode (S)" and try to do a factory reset using the volume up button it will boot back into the startup screen (Moto "M") and not go past that or if I try to use the method outlined on Motorola's support site (use the vol down key to navigate then "tap" the power button to select) it goes black and does nothing.

This phone hasn't been updated to 4.4. I'm pretty sure it has the factory 4.2 on it still.

It also says the "Device is LOCKED Status Code: 0" If this is a clue to anyone who could lead me to the right direction of how to get this device back up and running, I'd be very grateful.

Have tried to fxz yet. It usually will fix a software issue.
24th April 2014, 03:57 PM   |  #4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 134
 
716 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2011
Use RSDLite to flash the 4.2.2 or 4.4 firmware/sbf which can be found at http://sbf.droid-developers.org. You need to be sure that you're not on 4.4.2 before doing so. If your phone has already been updated to 4.4.2, flash only the 4.4.2 firmware/sbf.
24th April 2014, 05:23 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 5
 
27 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
Which one?
I found two versions for 4.2.2 How do I know which one is correct?

Last edited by smacsteve; 24th April 2014 at 05:28 PM.
24th April 2014, 05:37 PM   |  #6  
KidJoe's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Thorndale/Romansville, PA
Thanks Meter: 971
 
2,294 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2008
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by smacsteve

I found two versions for 4.2.2 How do I know which one is correct?

If you are SURE you device had 4.2.2, then use 139.15.1 for verizon.

There are really 4 roms for Verizon...
Initial shipping 4.2.2 = 139.10.53
First OTA - 4.2.2 w/camera fix = 139.15.1
Second OTA - 4.4 = 140.45.5
Third OTA - 4.4.2 = 164.55.2

Reason nhizzat says be sure you're not on 4.4.2 is due to changes in 4.4.2 (bootloader, gpt.bin, and a few other parts). once you have 4.4.2, there are issues that will arise if you try flashing anything older. Some of those issues include bricking the phone!!

So the safest suggestion is if you have 4.4.2, do not flash anything but 4.4.2.

And you never answered what was the last thing you did that got you in this state.
25th April 2014, 03:57 AM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 5
 
27 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidJoe

If you are SURE you device had 4.2.2, then use 139.15.1 for verizon.

There are really 4 roms for Verizon...
Initial shipping 4.2.2 = 139.10.53
First OTA - 4.2.2 w/camera fix = 139.15.1
Second OTA - 4.4 = 140.45.5
Third OTA - 4.4.2 = 164.55.2

Reason nhizzat says be sure you're not on 4.4.2 is due to changes in 4.4.2 (bootloader, gpt.bin, and a few other parts). once you have 4.4.2, there are issues that will arise if you try flashing anything older. Some of those issues include bricking the phone!!

So the safest suggestion is if you have 4.4.2, do not flash anything but 4.4.2.

And you never answered what was the last thing you did that got you in this state.

Okay, it's kind of hard to say what the last thing was as this is a demo device that was on the sales floor at my retail establishment. So it's fair to say that it's unknown. It's been un-used for nearly since after the first of the year. It may have been going through a firmware update and ran out of power. I'm not 100% certain it didn't get to 4.4.2 What was the date of release of Kitkat for the VZN Moto X? That would be helpful to know, then I would be a bit more certain of which it is. Does this help?
25th April 2014, 04:12 AM   |  #8  
KidJoe's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Thorndale/Romansville, PA
Thanks Meter: 971
 
2,294 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2008
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by smacsteve

Okay, it's kind of hard to say what the last thing was as this is a demo device that was on the sales floor at my retail establishment. So it's fair to say that it's unknown. It's been un-used for nearly since after the first of the year. It may have been going through a firmware update and ran out of power. I'm not 100% certain it didn't get to 4.4.2 What was the date of release of Kitkat for the VZN Moto X? That would be helpful to know, then I would be a bit more certain of which it is. Does this help?

Based on this thread -> http://forum.xda-developers.com/moto...2-vzw-t2656843 4.4.2 came out Feb 21.

I'd have to look to find the 4.4 thread.

If you don't need root (or if you have the Dev Edition for Verizon), then you might as well play it safe and just flash the 4.4.2 SBF and be done with it.
25th April 2014, 05:51 AM   |  #9  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 5
 
27 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidJoe

Based on this thread -> http://forum.xda-developers.com/moto...2-vzw-t2656843 4.4.2 came out Feb 21.

I'd have to look to find the 4.4 thread.

If you don't need root (or if you have the Dev Edition for Verizon), then you might as well play it safe and just flash the 4.4.2 SBF and be done with it.

Thanks for your help... I know it's not a VZN Dev Ed. I'm inclined to think it may have been updated to 4.4.2 or at least 4.4. I'll go with your suggestion and try to flash with the 4.4.2 SBF and as you said... "be done with it" I'm not going to have time to get to it for a few days, but I'll report back my success or dare I say it... failure? Hope not. I've got nothing to lose with this unit anyways. Just trying to get a dead demo back up and running.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes