Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,734,115 Members 52,045 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] All vibration stopped working and I can't fix it

Tip us?

Deenybird
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11
Default [Q] All vibration stopped working and I can't fix it

Out of the blue yesterday, my AT&T Moto X stopped vibrating. I noticed it first with the soft keys (home, back etc) but it affects everything from vibrating on ringing, to enabling silent mode, to unlocking with active display, to games.

I've tried rebooting and toggling vibration in settings. I've downloaded vibration tester apps from the Play Store. I only have the same ~70 or so apps that most of us use (dropbox, weather channel etc) and I don't run any obscure apps (less than 1000's of downloads), and I hadn't downloaded anything new for hours before the problem started.

I feel I've tried all the basic stuff, except factory reset, I don't think there's anything too obvious I'm overlooking.

So that leaves me facing either a hardware or software problem. I doubt its a problem with the physical vibration motor. Factory defects are so ridiculously rare that it should never be your first course of action. However, if it's a problem with the hardware I could try my local ATT Service Center. If it's a software problem, which seems much more likely, I could try a factory reset on the device. However it seemed a wise idea to post this question to the pros before I go down that road.

Appreciate any help you guys can offer.

AT&T Moto X
Not rooted
Moto X AT&T

Mr. Orange 645
Old
Thanks Meter 57
I would try a factory reset if you done everything else. My wife's Galaxy S3 did the same thing after the update to 4.3. A factory reset fixed it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Orange 645 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

sarshadd
Old
Thanks Meter 12
my gf's at&t motox running 4.2 lost vibration too. after many many reboots it would randomly work, or work very weakly (so it wasn't a problem with the physical motor, maybe it was an electrical connection to the motor?).

it was covered under warranty. they gave her a code, she re-did motomaker, and returned her original broken phone in the box the new one came in.

mj0528
Old
Thanks Meter 42
I hate the vibration in this thing. I would love mine to stop lol

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Deenybird
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11
I just performed a standard factory reset on the device and the problem persists... No vibrations, anywhere.
Is there anything else I can try? or am i headed to a service center?
Moto X AT&T

mawells787
Old
Thanks Meter 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deenybird View Post
I just performed a standard factory reset on the device and the problem persists... No vibrations, anywhere.
Is there anything else I can try? or am i headed to a service center?
You can sbf back to 4.2.2. I had a connectivity problem and a factory reset didn't fix it. But going back to 4.2.2 and taking the OTA did.

All the files are in the Dev section. If the links are broken I have copies of everything I can share. Except the 4.2.2 file for att I have Verizon.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Mr. Orange 645
Old
Thanks Meter 57
If that doesn't work then your only other option is a warranty claim. Or live with it I guess.

Deenybird
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11
The final verdict:
With nothing else working (factory reset, safe mode etc) I took the device to the ATT service center. They replaced the device, attributing the problem to defective hardware. Still find it hard to believe it was actually the hardware, but I don't see any other conclusions to draw.
Thanks for everyone's help.
Moto X AT&T

Mr. Orange 645
Old
Thanks Meter 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deenybird View Post
The final verdict:
With nothing else working (factory reset, safe mode etc) I took the device to the ATT service center. They replaced the device, attributing the problem to defective hardware. Still find it hard to believe it was actually the hardware, but I don't see any other conclusions to draw.
Thanks for everyone's help.
At least it worked out and you have a working phone again.

Tags
moto x, vibration