[Q] All vibration stopped working and I can't fix it

24th January 2014, 05:39 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Philadelphia
Thanks Meter: 11

214 posts
More
Out of the blue yesterday, my AT&T Moto X stopped vibrating. I noticed it first with the soft keys (home, back etc) but it affects everything from vibrating on ringing, to enabling silent mode, to unlocking with active display, to games.

I've tried rebooting and toggling vibration in settings. I've downloaded vibration tester apps from the Play Store. I only have the same ~70 or so apps that most of us use (dropbox, weather channel etc) and I don't run any obscure apps (less than 1000's of downloads), and I hadn't downloaded anything new for hours before the problem started.

I feel I've tried all the basic stuff, except factory reset, I don't think there's anything too obvious I'm overlooking.

So that leaves me facing either a hardware or software problem. I doubt its a problem with the physical vibration motor. Factory defects are so ridiculously rare that it should never be your first course of action. However, if it's a problem with the hardware I could try my local ATT Service Center. If it's a software problem, which seems much more likely, I could try a factory reset on the device. However it seemed a wise idea to post this question to the pros before I go down that road.

Appreciate any help you guys can offer.

AT&T Moto X
Not rooted
24th January 2014, 08:13 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 57

193 posts
I would try a factory reset if you done everything else. My wife's Galaxy S3 did the same thing after the update to 4.3. A factory reset fixed it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Orange 645 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
25th January 2014, 02:52 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 12

194 posts
More
my gf's at&t motox running 4.2 lost vibration too. after many many reboots it would randomly work, or work very weakly (so it wasn't a problem with the physical motor, maybe it was an electrical connection to the motor?).

it was covered under warranty. they gave her a code, she re-did motomaker, and returned her original broken phone in the box the new one came in.
25th January 2014, 03:35 AM   |  #4  
Flag Austin, Tx
Thanks Meter: 42

855 posts
More
I hate the vibration in this thing. I would love mine to stop lol

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk
26th January 2014, 07:35 AM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Philadelphia

214 posts
More
I just performed a standard factory reset on the device and the problem persists... No vibrations, anywhere.
Is there anything else I can try? or am i headed to a service center?
26th January 2014, 10:42 PM   |  #6  
New York
Thanks Meter: 29

133 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deenybird

I just performed a standard factory reset on the device and the problem persists... No vibrations, anywhere.
Is there anything else I can try? or am i headed to a service center?

You can sbf back to 4.2.2. I had a connectivity problem and a factory reset didn't fix it. But going back to 4.2.2 and taking the OTA did.

All the files are in the Dev section. If the links are broken I have copies of everything I can share. Except the 4.2.2 file for att I have Verizon.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
27th January 2014, 12:41 AM   |  #7  

193 posts
If that doesn't work then your only other option is a warranty claim. Or live with it I guess.
29th January 2014, 04:42 PM   |  #8  
OP Senior Member
Flag Philadelphia

214 posts
More
The final verdict:
With nothing else working (factory reset, safe mode etc) I took the device to the ATT service center. They replaced the device, attributing the problem to defective hardware. Still find it hard to believe it was actually the hardware, but I don't see any other conclusions to draw.
Thanks for everyone's help.
29th January 2014, 05:18 PM   |  #9  

193 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deenybird

The final verdict:
With nothing else working (factory reset, safe mode etc) I took the device to the ATT service center. They replaced the device, attributing the problem to defective hardware. Still find it hard to believe it was actually the hardware, but I don't see any other conclusions to draw.
Thanks for everyone's help.

At least it worked out and you have a working phone again.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
moto x, vibration
Previous Thread Next Thread