Thanks to everyone here. Reiterating what worked in a slightly different way.
Staus: VZN, XT1060, MotoX, 4.4, DEV unlocked bootloader, TWRP, SuperSU, No Xposed, Free tether, Ad blocking, disabled apps, LED modified for charging light:
1. Re-enabled any bloat (e.g., VZ Navigator). Went to settings, apps, and then went to right tab "disabled".
2. Undid free tether. Deleted /system/priv-app/VzwEntitlementService.apk, renamed VzwEntitlementService.apk.bak and VzwEntitlementService.odex.bak back to original filename by removing .bak to each
3. LED charging. This is probably not necessary since it's not in the /system folder (it's in the /sys folder) but I disabled (normal where LED only turns on if not enough battery to turn on screen) it anyway. Also did not worry about Ad blocking app. Did not do anything with SuperSU app.
4. Downloaded flashable zip of Stock Recovery (found here
) so I didn't have to worry about getting Motorola 4.4 sbf or doing stuff with mfastboot.
5. Booted into TWRP recovery.
6. Installed Stock Recovery zip file.
7. Rebooted. (actually first rebooted into bootloader, then recovery to make sure I was on stock recovery (if you do do this, when you see the lying down android, hold Volume Up for about five seconds. Then while still holding Volume Up, press and release the Power button)).
8. Installed OTA 4.4.2.
9. Rebooted, still had root. So far so good!
I still haven't put back TWRP recovery yet since I retained root. And I don't know why i went so long without Xposed framework and GravityBox and Moto Tether modules. So awesome.