XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] [VZN] XT1060 MotoX DEV 4.4.2 update

Tip us?

DragoonBrethren
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjustice31012 View Post
That is the one I downloaded. My phone will download the update but when I tell it to install it boots to the Teamwin recovery screen. I currently already have 4.4 stock on my phone with no other mods. Do I have to disable the TWRP recovery software or install it through the computer. It will not install via normal update to the phone unless there is something I am missing.
You need to install the stock recovery in order to take the OTA. Look back a few pages in this thread. There are several posts with step-by-step instructions that will help you.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

jjustice31012
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonBrethren View Post
You need to install the stock recovery in order to take the OTA. Look back a few pages in this thread. There are several posts with step-by-step instructions that will help you.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
Will do.

Roland Stone
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Finally got my Dev Ed updated using the Flashify method. It took a few failed attempts that kept crashing from the desktop and rebooting into recovery before I remembered to uninstall Xposed first!

After uninstalling Xposed, using the free Flashify app from the Play Store to flash the Stock Recovery (which I downloaded from Motorola) (thereby removing TWRP recovery), accepting and installing the OTA, using Flashify again to re-install TWRP, and finally reinstalling Xposed - I'm back in business!
The Following User Says Thank You to Roland Stone For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

smt0222
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Red face Thanks!

Thanks to everyone here. Reiterating what worked in a slightly different way.
Staus: VZN, XT1060, MotoX, 4.4, DEV unlocked bootloader, TWRP, SuperSU, No Xposed, Free tether, Ad blocking, disabled apps, LED modified for charging light:

1. Re-enabled any bloat (e.g., VZ Navigator). Went to settings, apps, and then went to right tab "disabled".
2. Undid free tether. Deleted /system/priv-app/VzwEntitlementService.apk, renamed VzwEntitlementService.apk.bak and VzwEntitlementService.odex.bak back to original filename by removing .bak to each
3. LED charging. This is probably not necessary since it's not in the /system folder (it's in the /sys folder) but I disabled (normal where LED only turns on if not enough battery to turn on screen) it anyway. Also did not worry about Ad blocking app. Did not do anything with SuperSU app.
4. Downloaded flashable zip of Stock Recovery (found here) so I didn't have to worry about getting Motorola 4.4 sbf or doing stuff with mfastboot.
5. Booted into TWRP recovery.
6. Installed Stock Recovery zip file.
7. Rebooted. (actually first rebooted into bootloader, then recovery to make sure I was on stock recovery (if you do do this, when you see the lying down android, hold Volume Up for about five seconds. Then while still holding Volume Up, press and release the Power button)).
8. Installed OTA 4.4.2.
9. Rebooted, still had root. So far so good!

I still haven't put back TWRP recovery yet since I retained root. And I don't know why i went so long without Xposed framework and GravityBox and Moto Tether modules. So awesome.

jdellingson7
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Default Downgrade to 4.4 from 4.4.2

Has anyone been able to successfully downgrade to 4.4 after updating to 4.4.2. I have heard that downgrading from 4.4 to 4.2.2 caused bricked phones. I have updated to 4.4.2 and have noticed issues with bluetooth drops and other small bugs and I'm considering downgrading but want to make sure its safe.

NWKENT
Old
(Last edited by NWKENT; 5th March 2014 at 06:30 AM.)
Thanks Meter 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdellingson7 View Post
Has anyone been able to successfully downgrade to 4.4 after updating to 4.4.2. I have heard that downgrading from 4.4 to 4.2.2 caused bricked phones. I have updated to 4.4.2 and have noticed issues with bluetooth drops and other small bugs and I'm considering downgrading but want to make sure its safe.
Go here to the OP..assuming you have a DEV model..if you are still unsure..PM and I have a custom FXZ from 4.4.2 back to 4.2.2 with TWRP 2.6.3.1 install included >> http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2659682

sent by my 4.2.2_139.15.1
Jelly Bean TWRP 2.6.3.1
XT1060 Moto XDEV

Please donate to: jcase & Hashcode (if you can)
The Following User Says Thank You to NWKENT For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

_slam
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdellingson7 View Post
I was able to downgrade to 4.4 after the 4.4.2 update; my setup was: TWRP, SuperSU, on 4.4.2 on my MotoX Dev. Ed. I just did the flash back to stock using the manual method and was able to flash back to 4.4; after the flash to 4.4 stock I booted up the phone I got the 4.4.2 update again. I did a flash back to 4.4 because I was testing Xposed framework (it didn't take) so I uninstalled and flashed back back to 4.4 to get a clean image. And I was have radio issue after the update and the install of Xposed framework; for example with the with the FCC Speed Test I was getting download number like 6.72 Mbps vs 25.65 Mbps; main reason I wanted a clean image and for the downgrade to 4.4 for a clean 4.4.2 image

btw getting a clean image did not help my network radio issues; but clean cache data in storage did, who knew!

GandalfTehGray
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by smt0222 View Post
Thanks to everyone here. Reiterating what worked in a slightly different way.
Staus: VZN, XT1060, MotoX, 4.4, DEV unlocked bootloader, TWRP, SuperSU, No Xposed, Free tether, Ad blocking, disabled apps, LED modified for charging light:

1. Re-enabled any bloat (e.g., VZ Navigator). Went to settings, apps, and then went to right tab "disabled".
2. Undid free tether. Deleted /system/priv-app/VzwEntitlementService.apk, renamed VzwEntitlementService.apk.bak and VzwEntitlementService.odex.bak back to original filename by removing .bak to each
3. LED charging. This is probably not necessary since it's not in the /system folder (it's in the /sys folder) but I disabled (normal where LED only turns on if not enough battery to turn on screen) it anyway. Also did not worry about Ad blocking app. Did not do anything with SuperSU app.
4. Downloaded flashable zip of Stock Recovery (found here) so I didn't have to worry about getting Motorola 4.4 sbf or doing stuff with mfastboot.
5. Booted into TWRP recovery.
6. Installed Stock Recovery zip file.
7. Rebooted. (actually first rebooted into bootloader, then recovery to make sure I was on stock recovery (if you do do this, when you see the lying down android, hold Volume Up for about five seconds. Then while still holding Volume Up, press and release the Power button)).
8. Installed OTA 4.4.2.
9. Rebooted, still had root. So far so good!

I still haven't put back TWRP recovery yet since I retained root. And I don't know why i went so long without Xposed framework and GravityBox and Moto Tether modules. So awesome.
Where you find a stock recovery zip? Been looking all over and gave up to just pull what I needed from the complete SBF file