[Q] VZW DE: does boot unlocked imply SIM unlocked ??

Search This thread

seandarcy

Dec 17, 2011
I've got a an unlocked rooted VZW DE. I'm going to Europe. Is the phone SIM unlocked ?? Can I just insert a European sim card ?

IOW, does an unlocked bootloader also unlock the sim card ? Or do I have to spend an hour talking to Verizon?
Thanks,

sean

After talking with VZW, they tell me the phone comes SIM inlocked! Interesting if true. I'll find out next week.

sean

Last edited:

HeroOfTime

Jun 29, 2010
Mountain Green
Any Verizon LTE phone should automatically be sim unlocked without the bootloader being unlocked due to Block C agreements requiring Verizon to allow any compatible phone to use the network. Since LTE is basically the evolution of GSM, most (I won't say all, because there may be an exception) LTE devices have GSM capabilities. Verizon can't legally sim lock the LTE radios, so they have just stopped sim locking global phones.

tl;dr Yes, it is by default sim unlicked. Just throw in the sim and update apn settings if necessary (they may be preprogrammed). You probably won't have LTE, but HSPA (and, I assume, HSPA+) should work fine.

Edit: I just reread and realized that you had updated the post with what I just said... You can ignore this.

Last edited:

seandarcy

Dec 17, 2011
No. I appreciate the background. And really pleased it confirmed what Verizon said.

Is there a list someplace of the APN s for French providers? I can just imagine trying to find it out from the kiosk manager using my French!

Sean

Sent from my XT1060 using XDA Free mobile app

HeroOfTime

Jun 29, 2010
Mountain Green
I think they may have that information on the provider's website. You may want/need to plan ahead to determine what carriers are there (which you probably know already) and check out their sites, or you can probably Google '[Carrier Name] apn settings' and find it that way. I've never been in a situation to change the apn settings, but I think once you insert the new sim, the setting is available under Settings > Wireless and Networks > More... > Mobile Network Settings > Access Point Names.