FORUMS

Galaxy S6 & Edge get €100 Price Cut—New Models Incoming

Samsung has dropped the price of both the Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge by … more

How To Port Fully Featured Sony Xperia Z4 Camera

Xperia Z4’s hardware may not impress, but its software is definitely … more

Experimental TWRP Available For Moto G 2015

XDA Senior Member squid2 has posted experimental builds of TWRP for the Moto G … more

Sunday Debate: How Can We Get a No-Compromise Phone?

Join us in a fun Sunday Debate on Compromises. Come with your opinions and … more

[Q] VZW DEV 4.4 to 4.4.2 update failure opinion Question

71 posts
Thanks Meter: 7
 
By Dburgessme2, Member on 4th March 2014, 10:56 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
Hi all!

Just a quick synopsis. I've held off for a while. I've read just about everything related as it's come across here over the past few weeks.

I've been perfectly happy with where I sat:

VZW Dev Ed, Rooted, TWRP, xPosed, Tehter & Gravity Box modules.

I'm not fond of ADB commands, etc. but can work my way through them.

Today, I decided to to take a quick stab at things (a little differently).

So, here's what I did:

1) Unfroze some bloat
2) Unistalled xposed Framework
3) USED Flashify to backup my TWRP
4) USED Flashify to install stock recovery
5) Downloaded OTA
6) Installed 4.4.2 update
7) It FAILED

So, I restored my TWRP recovery through Flashify; re-installed xPosed Framework; refroze the bloat and I'm back to where I was before.

The only thing that I really think might have caused the update to fail was the fact that I had AOSP Browser installed. (with its related installer)

So, that's my question here....opinions...would that cause the update to fail?

I've since tried to uninstall that browser with the related installer but it keeps getting hung and force closes when trying.

Opinions? (other than..."please, use ADB commands")

I'm assuming flashing my system ui might take care of that?


Thanks for ideas. I know I'll take the time to get it done "proper". Just haven't been pressed to do it yet.
 
 
4th March 2014, 11:11 PM |#2  
hlaalu's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 58
 
More
Unfreeze everything and make sure the tether hack is reversed. I believe it tells you where it failed in recovery when it's doing its thing. I'm in the same boat as you, but I'm just going to wait until Moto releases the new image.
4th March 2014, 11:21 PM |#3  
Dburgessme2's Avatar
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 7
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlaalu

Unfreeze everything and make sure the tether hack is reversed. I believe it tells you where it failed in recovery when it's doing its thing. I'm in the same boat as you, but I'm just going to wait until Moto releases the new image.

Well, it's the tether module (not the hack)...so uninstalling xPosed would take care of that I'd think.

When Moto releases the new image...what's your plan? Able to flash that without losing data, etc?
5th March 2014, 12:12 AM |#4  
Member
Thanks Meter: 8
 
More
Are you using the VZW specific stock recovery.img directly obtained from the Motorola website that you extracted yourself from the zip file you got there? I wouldn't necessarily trust any other stock recovery floating around.
5th March 2014, 12:25 AM |#5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 174
 
More
Did you run the xposed cleaner zip or just uninstall it? It easier to just flash the system and recovery images via mfastboot. It takes two seconds assuming you have the Sdk installed and Moto drivers installed.

Sent from my Dev Edition Moto X
5th March 2014, 12:31 AM |#6  
hlaalu's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 58
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dburgessme2

Well, it's the tether module (not the hack)...so uninstalling xPosed would take care of that I'd think.

When Moto releases the new image...what's your plan? Able to flash that without losing data, etc?

Hmm double check that it checks for subscription when tethering to make sure it changed the files back?

I'm a little rusty with fastboot, but it doesn't wipe your data unless you ask it to:

Code:
$ fastboot flash partition gpt.bin
$ fastboot flash motoboot motoboot.img
$ fastboot reboot-bootloader
$ fastboot flash logo logo.bin
$ fastboot flash boot boot.img
$ fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
$ fastboot flash system system.img
$ fastboot erase modemst1
$ fastboot erase modemst2
$ fastboot flash fsg fsg.mbn
$ fastboot reboot

$ fastboot erase userdata
$ fastboot erase cache

$ fastboot oem lock
So I think if you just don't do the fastboot erase userdata command your data is safe. I'll wait for someone with more experience to confirm that.

But even if that's not the case, I'll still wait because we have to fastboot for root and recovery anyways, might as well just do everything in one go.
5th March 2014, 12:43 AM |#7  
Dburgessme2's Avatar
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 7
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaweet

Did you run the xposed cleaner zip or just uninstall it? It easier to just flash the system and recovery images via mfastboot. It takes two seconds assuming you have the Sdk installed and Moto drivers installed.

Sent from my Dev Edition Moto X

I only used the Uninstall from within itself. Where is the cleaner zip? Might have to do a search.

Thanks!

DB's Nexus 7
5th March 2014, 12:45 AM |#8  
Dburgessme2's Avatar
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 7
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland Stone

Are you using the VZW specific stock recovery.img directly obtained from the Motorola website that you extracted yourself from the zip file you got there? I wouldn't necessarily trust any other stock recovery floating around.

Nope, I didn't extract it myself. I'll have to do that to make sure I've got the "real deal".

Thanks!

DB's Nexus 7
5th March 2014, 12:46 AM |#9  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 174
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dburgessme2

I only used the Uninstall from within itself. Where is the cleaner zip? Might have to do a search.

Thanks!

DB's Nexus 7

It's the xposed disabler zip that is put in the root of your SD card when you install xposed.

Sent from my Dev Edition Moto X
5th March 2014, 12:50 AM |#10  
Dburgessme2's Avatar
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 7
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaweet

It's the xposed disabler zip that is put in the root of your SD card when you install xposed.

Sent from my Dev Edition Moto X

Just flash it through recovery I assume?

DB's Nexus 7
5th March 2014, 12:52 AM |#11  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 174
 
More
Yes

Flashing the system and recovery images is still the most fail safe method. It doesn't erase your settings or data.

Sent from my Dev Edition Moto X

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes