Get a Complete Set of Logs with Andy Log

The importance of proper logging is undeniable. No, we’re not talking about lumberjack work. … more

Try Some Android Lollipop Applications on Your Device

Android 5.0 Lollipop has been officially announced and lucky users of Google Nexus 5 … more

AutoCon Manages Your Connections to Perserve Battery Life

As we’ve talked about in the past, battery life is still somewhat of a sore … more

How to Unlock and Root a Nexus Device – XDA TV

It is official–Google has released the Nexus 6 and the Nexus 9. The Nexus family … more
Post Reply

[Q] VZW moto x- Bootloader variable not supported

OP jaysdroid2

31st January 2014, 10:58 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
8 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2010
I have a developer edition VZW moto x, bootloader is unlocked, i have the white warning screen upon boot telling me its unlocked, it has not yet been rooted, stock 4.4 kitkat and currently trying to install custom recovery, ive tried both twrp and the unofficial cwm recovery, i can get into bootloader through the cmd window, i get a response with adb devices showing its communicating, ive renamed the recovery files with a ".img" and no matter what i do i get the message "bootloader variable not supported" can someone please help me figure out what im doing wrong.
31st January 2014, 11:05 PM   |  #2  
flashallthetime's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Richmond Hill
Thanks Meter: 1,287
 
3,756 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysdroid2

I have a developer edition VZW moto x, bootloader is unlocked, i have the white warning screen upon boot telling me its unlocked, it has not yet been rooted, stock 4.4 kitkat and currently trying to install custom recovery, ive tried both twrp and the unofficial cwm recovery, i can get into bootloader through the cmd window, i get a response with adb devices showing its communicating, ive renamed the recovery files with a ".img" and no matter what i do i get the message "bootloader variable not supported" can someone please help me figure out what im doing wrong.

I believe you do not have to put the .IMG at the back of the files as they are already .IMG. Files
Are you using mfastboot?
The IMG file is in the same folder as mfastboot?
What are you typing in the cmd window

Sent on my Gummy running Lenoto X
31st January 2014, 11:21 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
8 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2010
well i installed the minimal ADB and fastboot installer with the adb and fastboot files in the zip, i extracted and installed, plug phone in USB debugging active, i type in command adb devices, get confirmation of device then type adb reboot bootloader, phone boots into bootloader, once in bootloader i type, fastboot flash recovery twrp-2.6.3.1-ghost-4.4.img after which i get the error message, also when the file is saved, the .img is not there, ive done it as is and adding the .img to the end with the same result
Last edited by jaysdroid2; 31st January 2014 at 11:27 PM. Reason: left out words
1st February 2014, 12:31 AM   |  #4  
Senior Member
Flag Fort Myers,FL
Thanks Meter: 223
 
543 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2009
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysdroid2

well i installed the minimal ADB and fastboot installer with the adb and fastboot files in the zip, i extracted and installed, plug phone in USB debugging active, i type in command adb devices, get confirmation of device then type adb reboot bootloader, phone boots into bootloader, once in bootloader i type, fastboot flash recovery twrp-2.6.3.1-ghost-4.4.img after which i get the error message, also when the file is saved, the .img is not there, ive done it as is and adding the .img to the end with the same result

go here

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2603358

and look at the guide for unlocked bootloaders it should walk you though how to get it done correctly because you are spouse to use

MFastboot not fastboot.
1st February 2014, 01:56 AM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
8 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2010
alright, i got twrp installed, use mfastboot and had to add the .img to the end of the file, so i now have twrp installed, backups made and saved to my computer for the just in case, i hace access to twrp through rom manager, i am wondering if i can flash cwm using rom manager, the reason i ask is ive always used cwm with all my other phones and i just like using what i know and am comfortable with it, will i fudge everything up trying to use rom manager to flash cwm rather than the fastboot method.
p.s. thank you for the link and advise
1st February 2014, 02:34 AM   |  #6  
flashallthetime's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Richmond Hill
Thanks Meter: 1,287
 
3,756 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysdroid2

alright, i got twrp installed, use mfastboot and had to add the .img to the end of the file, so i now have twrp installed, backups made and saved to my computer for the just in case, i hace access to twrp through rom manager, i am wondering if i can flash cwm using rom manager, the reason i ask is ive always used cwm with all my other phones and i just like using what i know and am comfortable with it, will i fudge everything up trying to use rom manager to flash cwm rather than the fastboot method.
p.s. thank you for the link and advise

I have had issues with cwm restoring nandroids but I believe you need to flash it in the same manor

Sent on my Gummy running Lenoto X
1st February 2014, 02:43 AM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
8 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2010
so in other words i should just go ahead and keep twrp? at least until an official cwm is out?
1st February 2014, 02:51 AM   |  #8  
flashallthetime's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Richmond Hill
Thanks Meter: 1,287
 
3,756 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysdroid2

so in other words i should just go ahead and keep twrp? at least until an official cwm is out?

Haven't had one hiccup with twrp, actually prefer it over cwm

Sent on my Lenoto A2109 tablet
1st February 2014, 02:58 AM   |  #9  
Senior Member
Flag Fort Myers,FL
Thanks Meter: 223
 
543 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2009
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysdroid2

so in other words i should just go ahead and keep twrp? at least until an official cwm is out?

you can try it if you every have to restore a nandroid backup and CWM fails all you have to do is flash TWRP and restore

here is a link to a CWM

Moto x thread
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2612149
1st February 2014, 03:01 AM   |  #10  
flashallthetime's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Richmond Hill
Thanks Meter: 1,287
 
3,756 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dray_jr

you can try it if you every have to restore a nandroid backup and CWM fails all you have to do is flash TWRP and restore

here is a link to a CWM

Moto x thread
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2612149

May not work but I haven't tried it , cwm leaves the back up in the emulated sector in the sdcard

Sent on my Lenoto A2109 tablet

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Top Threads in Moto X Q&A by ThreadRank