Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,079 Members 50,913 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] VZW moto x- Bootloader variable not supported

Tip us?

jaysdroid2
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] VZW moto x- Bootloader variable not supported

I have a developer edition VZW moto x, bootloader is unlocked, i have the white warning screen upon boot telling me its unlocked, it has not yet been rooted, stock 4.4 kitkat and currently trying to install custom recovery, ive tried both twrp and the unofficial cwm recovery, i can get into bootloader through the cmd window, i get a response with adb devices showing its communicating, ive renamed the recovery files with a ".img" and no matter what i do i get the message "bootloader variable not supported" can someone please help me figure out what im doing wrong.

flashallthetime
Old
Thanks Meter 1285
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysdroid2 View Post
I have a developer edition VZW moto x, bootloader is unlocked, i have the white warning screen upon boot telling me its unlocked, it has not yet been rooted, stock 4.4 kitkat and currently trying to install custom recovery, ive tried both twrp and the unofficial cwm recovery, i can get into bootloader through the cmd window, i get a response with adb devices showing its communicating, ive renamed the recovery files with a ".img" and no matter what i do i get the message "bootloader variable not supported" can someone please help me figure out what im doing wrong.
I believe you do not have to put the .IMG at the back of the files as they are already .IMG. Files
Are you using mfastboot?
The IMG file is in the same folder as mfastboot?
What are you typing in the cmd window

Sent on my Gummy running Lenoto X
]Dr EVIL EVO HAHAHAHHAHAHAHA
Don"t ask me for help,couldn't careless if your phone explodes

jaysdroid2
Old
(Last edited by jaysdroid2; 31st January 2014 at 11:27 PM.) Reason: left out words
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
well i installed the minimal ADB and fastboot installer with the adb and fastboot files in the zip, i extracted and installed, plug phone in USB debugging active, i type in command adb devices, get confirmation of device then type adb reboot bootloader, phone boots into bootloader, once in bootloader i type, fastboot flash recovery twrp-2.6.3.1-ghost-4.4.img after which i get the error message, also when the file is saved, the .img is not there, ive done it as is and adding the .img to the end with the same result

dray_jr
Old
Thanks Meter 198
Quote:
well i installed the minimal ADB and fastboot installer with the adb and fastboot files in the zip, i extracted and installed, plug phone in USB debugging active, i type in command adb devices, get confirmation of device then type adb reboot bootloader, phone boots into bootloader, once in bootloader i type, fastboot flash recovery twrp-2.6.3.1-ghost-4.4.img after which i get the error message, also when the file is saved, the .img is not there, ive done it as is and adding the .img to the end with the same result
go here

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2603358

and look at the guide for unlocked bootloaders it should walk you though how to get it done correctly because you are spouse to use

MFastboot not fastboot.
Sprint Moto X TWRP 4.4 Self Detoxed
Profiles:Twitter
Guides:MotoX Guides |

jaysdroid2
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
alright, i got twrp installed, use mfastboot and had to add the .img to the end of the file, so i now have twrp installed, backups made and saved to my computer for the just in case, i hace access to twrp through rom manager, i am wondering if i can flash cwm using rom manager, the reason i ask is ive always used cwm with all my other phones and i just like using what i know and am comfortable with it, will i fudge everything up trying to use rom manager to flash cwm rather than the fastboot method.
p.s. thank you for the link and advise

flashallthetime
Old
Thanks Meter 1285
Quote:
alright, i got twrp installed, use mfastboot and had to add the .img to the end of the file, so i now have twrp installed, backups made and saved to my computer for the just in case, i hace access to twrp through rom manager, i am wondering if i can flash cwm using rom manager, the reason i ask is ive always used cwm with all my other phones and i just like using what i know and am comfortable with it, will i fudge everything up trying to use rom manager to flash cwm rather than the fastboot method.
p.s. thank you for the link and advise
I have had issues with cwm restoring nandroids but I believe you need to flash it in the same manor

Sent on my Gummy running Lenoto X

jaysdroid2
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
so in other words i should just go ahead and keep twrp? at least until an official cwm is out?

flashallthetime
Old
Thanks Meter 1285
Quote:
so in other words i should just go ahead and keep twrp? at least until an official cwm is out?
Haven't had one hiccup with twrp, actually prefer it over cwm

Sent on my Lenoto A2109 tablet

dray_jr
Old
Thanks Meter 198
Quote:
you can try it if you every have to restore a nandroid backup and CWM fails all you have to do is flash TWRP and restore

here is a link to a CWM

Moto x thread
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2612149
Sprint Moto X TWRP 4.4 Self Detoxed
Profiles:Twitter
Guides:MotoX Guides |

flashallthetime
Old
Thanks Meter 1285
Quote:
Originally Posted by dray_jr View Post
you can try it if you every have to restore a nandroid backup and CWM fails all you have to do is flash TWRP and restore

here is a link to a CWM

Moto x thread
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2612149
May not work but I haven't tried it , cwm leaves the back up in the emulated sector in the sdcard

Sent on my Lenoto A2109 tablet