Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,817 Members 53,959 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] VZW Moto X half-bricked? Screen off, vibrates randomly.

Tip us?

infernox51
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Question [Q] VZW Moto X half-bricked? Screen off, vibrates randomly.

Hey folks,

Weird issue today with my Moto X (locked boot loader, unrooted, totally stock). Earlier today I took the phone off the charger and all was working normally. About an hour after that, I took my phone out to check stuff and the screen is off completely and the phone vibrates every so often but at uneven intervals. I have tried every hardware key combo known to man to reboot and nothing gives. I'm hoping that once the battery eventually dies on its own I will be able to reboot (?) and this is some random software issue, but no idea. Anyone have a solution? I've already emailed Moto to see what they think. I'm in Kabul right now so no VZW stores for a few thousand miles.

Appreciate any input/help!
Phone: GNex (VZW)
Tablet: Nex7 2013

MichaelMcEntire
Old
Thanks Meter 109
I have had this before, I however an not so stock and assumed that was the culprit. Have you tried holding down power until reboot? It should be like 10-15 seconds.

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

infernox51
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Yea I have tried that a bunch today holding the button down for even a few minutes. Nothing but a vibration. Tried volume down + pwr and same result.

flashallthetime
Old
Thanks Meter 1285
Quote:
Originally Posted by infernox51 View Post
Yea I have tried that a bunch today holding the button down for even a few minutes. Nothing but a vibration. Tried volume down + pwr and same result.
If you can get to the fastboot screen you could flash the Verizon sbf firmware , did you try plugging the charger in ?and see if you can boot it that way

Sent on my Moto X
]Dr EVIL EVO HAHAHAHHAHAHAHA
Don"t ask me for help,couldn't careless if your phone explodes

infernox51
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
I plugged it in to a vehicle charger (where I am right now) and nothing changed when I did the button combos. I'm going to see about fastboot later on today but not looking good at this point.

Gundabolu SC
Old
Thanks Meter 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by infernox51 View Post
I plugged it in to a vehicle charger (where I am right now) and nothing changed when I did the button combos. I'm going to see about fastboot later on today but not looking good at this point.
I had the same damn problem on my Droid Maxx... It just used to randomly vibrate and vibrate and vibrate with the screen off... and used to get super hot and finally stop... Then i took the phone apart and guessed the LCD connection was bad so i just removed every thing i could and put it back together! And Vola it worked!!

infernox51
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Heard back from Moto - just going to start the exchange process. They didn't seem to know what was up with it.

claudioeddy
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Talking Solved the same problem here

I just had the same problem and got it working with a fast-boot followed by a factory reset. As I didn't know exactly when it was turned off, I could only be sure about when it was on (after pressing power button and having the boot animation loading). Based on that, I pressed the power button for about 6 seconds to turn it off.
Having it turned off, I followed these steps:
1) Power + 'Volume -' for 3 seconds
2) Release Power, but keep 'Volume -' pressed until Fast-Boot appears
3) Search for (navigate to) "Recovery" by using only 'Volume -'
4) Confirm 'Recovery' with 'Volume +'
5) When the android robot appears (probably with a 'no command' message), hold 'Volume +' and, after that, tap Power
6) Go to wipe/data factory reset and confirm it with Power
7) Go to 'Yes', confirm it with Power and wait. For some moments it may seem dead, but it will be doing its job
8) After it is erased, go to 'Reboot system now' and select it with Power
9) Wait until it is restored by itself

I hope this helps anyone with the same problem

KidJoe
Old
Thanks Meter 651
@infernox51 if you are unrooted and totaly stock, and don't have a hardware issue, then following the first few steps of what @claudioeddy posted should get you to fastboot and/or recovery menus.

If you follow through, with steps 6 & 7, it will factory reset your phone, erasing all data, apps, /sdcard, etc.

The only time I've had those symptoms is when I've flashed a bad LOGO.BIN file to my phone. In which case, I do what claudioeddy posted to get my phone to fasboot menu, and then flash a known good logo.bin. But if you are stock and unrooted like you say, then i don't know what to say.

If Moto will exchange your phone, that is great.
aka Mark_Venture

My Moto X tips and info

Currently using Verizon Moto X Developer Edition on my personal line.. But I have too many devices to choose from for work and personal... For the full list click -> HERE <-

Tags
moto, motorola, motox