Battery Charged in 30 Seconds? Maybe in 2016

Phones and tablets are getting more and more power hungry with each passing generation. Their … more

ZArchive Manages Your File Archives

Today smartphones are quite powerful devices that can handle multiple processes at once. In fact, some of … more

Regain Double Tap to Wake Functionality on the Nexus 6

A few months ago, Google announced its newest flagship device, the Nexus 6, alongside … more

Clean Your Recent Apps – XDA Xposed Tuesday

In this day and age, you have quite a few apps installed and running on your Android … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] VZW Moto X half-bricked? Screen off, vibrates randomly.

OP infernox51

22nd January 2014, 05:57 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Flag NJ - Currently Kabul, AF
Thanks Meter: 7

36 posts
More
Hey folks,

Weird issue today with my Moto X (locked boot loader, unrooted, totally stock). Earlier today I took the phone off the charger and all was working normally. About an hour after that, I took my phone out to check stuff and the screen is off completely and the phone vibrates every so often but at uneven intervals. I have tried every hardware key combo known to man to reboot and nothing gives. I'm hoping that once the battery eventually dies on its own I will be able to reboot (?) and this is some random software issue, but no idea. Anyone have a solution? I've already emailed Moto to see what they think. I'm in Kabul right now so no VZW stores for a few thousand miles.

Appreciate any input/help!
22nd January 2014, 06:25 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 112

669 posts
I have had this before, I however an not so stock and assumed that was the culprit. Have you tried holding down power until reboot? It should be like 10-15 seconds.

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk
22nd January 2014, 06:28 AM   |  #3  
OP Member

36 posts
More
Yea I have tried that a bunch today holding the button down for even a few minutes. Nothing but a vibration. Tried volume down + pwr and same result.
22nd January 2014, 06:42 AM   |  #4  
Flag Richmond Hill
Thanks Meter: 1,290

3,764 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by infernox51

Yea I have tried that a bunch today holding the button down for even a few minutes. Nothing but a vibration. Tried volume down + pwr and same result.

If you can get to the fastboot screen you could flash the Verizon sbf firmware , did you try plugging the charger in ?and see if you can boot it that way

Sent on my Moto X
22nd January 2014, 06:55 AM   |  #5  
OP Member

36 posts
More
I plugged it in to a vehicle charger (where I am right now) and nothing changed when I did the button combos. I'm going to see about fastboot later on today but not looking good at this point.
22nd January 2014, 08:03 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 143

230 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by infernox51

I plugged it in to a vehicle charger (where I am right now) and nothing changed when I did the button combos. I'm going to see about fastboot later on today but not looking good at this point.

I had the same damn problem on my Droid Maxx... It just used to randomly vibrate and vibrate and vibrate with the screen off... and used to get super hot and finally stop... Then i took the phone apart and guessed the LCD connection was bad so i just removed every thing i could and put it back together! And Vola it worked!!
22nd January 2014, 10:30 AM   |  #7  
OP Member

36 posts
More
Heard back from Moto - just going to start the exchange process. They didn't seem to know what was up with it.
28th June 2014, 05:02 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 1

1 posts
Talking Solved the same problem here
I just had the same problem and got it working with a fast-boot followed by a factory reset. As I didn't know exactly when it was turned off, I could only be sure about when it was on (after pressing power button and having the boot animation loading). Based on that, I pressed the power button for about 6 seconds to turn it off.
Having it turned off, I followed these steps:
1) Power + 'Volume -' for 3 seconds
2) Release Power, but keep 'Volume -' pressed until Fast-Boot appears
3) Search for (navigate to) "Recovery" by using only 'Volume -'
4) Confirm 'Recovery' with 'Volume +'
5) When the android robot appears (probably with a 'no command' message), hold 'Volume +' and, after that, tap Power
6) Go to wipe/data factory reset and confirm it with Power
7) Go to 'Yes', confirm it with Power and wait. For some moments it may seem dead, but it will be doing its job
8) After it is erased, go to 'Reboot system now' and select it with Power
9) Wait until it is restored by itself

I hope this helps anyone with the same problem
The Following User Says Thank You to claudioeddy For This Useful Post: [ View ]
28th June 2014, 04:05 PM   |  #9  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Thorndale/Romansville, PA
Thanks Meter: 911

2,179 posts
More
@infernox51 if you are unrooted and totaly stock, and don't have a hardware issue, then following the first few steps of what @claudioeddy posted should get you to fastboot and/or recovery menus.

If you follow through, with steps 6 & 7, it will factory reset your phone, erasing all data, apps, /sdcard, etc.

The only time I've had those symptoms is when I've flashed a bad LOGO.BIN file to my phone. In which case, I do what claudioeddy posted to get my phone to fasboot menu, and then flash a known good logo.bin. But if you are stock and unrooted like you say, then i don't know what to say.

If Moto will exchange your phone, that is great.
29th September 2014, 10:50 PM   |  #10  
Flag Smithtown, NY
Thanks Meter: 0

3 posts
Thumbs up Thanks for the Solution
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidJoe

@infernox51 if you are unrooted and totaly stock, and don't have a hardware issue, then following the first few steps of what @claudioeddy posted should get you to fastboot and/or recovery menus.

If you follow through, with steps 6 & 7, it will factory reset your phone, erasing all data, apps, /sdcard, etc.

The only time I've had those symptoms is when I've flashed a bad LOGO.BIN file to my phone. In which case, I do what claudioeddy posted to get my phone to fasboot menu, and then flash a known good logo.bin. But if you are stock and unrooted like you say, then i don't know what to say.

If Moto will exchange your phone, that is great.

This saved me - thanks so much. Several months old but still completely relevant. Awesome!!

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
moto, motorola, motox
Previous Thread Next Thread