21st September 2014, 10:06 PM   |  #11  
OP Senior Member
Flag Houston, TX
Thanks Meter: 58

424 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wansanta

No one has tried it but based on everything we know, it should work. If it doesn't work then it is because we don't understand how the switch orders work on basic lines.

If you return the phone within 14 days, you are let out of both your 2yr contract and your 2yr data plan requirement so I don't see the harm in trying. Please report back if you do.

That is correct as long as you are ordering from a 3rd party retailer and ship to your home. Please see these threads at AC and SD

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ver...zed-price.html

http://slickdeals.net/f/6964624-upgr...n?v=1&page=205

Also, I believe the Best Buy Method has been posted on this forum before.

Verizon is actively working to close this loophole but it will require them to completely revamp how they handle orders from all 3rd party retailers - i.e., the switch order will have to be implemented by some mechanism other than the sim card the phone ships with.

The best part is getting out of the upgrade fee!

Keep in mind that only BB and others who use BB's check out system like MM do not require you to pick a new plan and the customer agreement says keep existing plan. With any other 3rd party retailers you are required to pick a new plan and the customer agreement reflects that. However, you do not lose your UDP.

Could Verizon audit accounts? Sure. Have they ever? No.

The other thing to be aware of is that only BB (and presumably those retailers who use BB's check out system) and Costco don't have secondary etfs. Amazon and all of the other 3rd party retailers have them so you need to be aware of their terms and make sure you don't violate them and trigger their secondary etf - i.e., canceling the line b/f 181 days, dropping the data plan (which of course you wouldn't do since it is a UDP line), etc.

MotoMaker goes live for VZW on Friday! I'll keep you guys posted on what happens. Has anyone tried this recently? It's been almost a month since Big Red's policy changes.
26th September 2014, 11:50 PM   |  #12  
OP Senior Member
Flag Houston, TX

424 posts
More
Ordered this afternoon. Chose the feature phone line with the upgrade available, chose the option to keep my existing plan, and completed checkout. Phone should arrive in a few weeks (hopefully less) so we'll see what happens then.
1st October 2014, 01:54 AM   |  #13  
Thanks Meter: 6

52 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMunky

Ordered this afternoon. Chose the feature phone line with the upgrade available, chose the option to keep my existing plan, and completed checkout. Phone should arrive in a few weeks (hopefully less) so we'll see what happens then.

Waiting to hear if it works for you. I really don't wanna loose my unlimited
1st October 2014, 06:50 PM   |  #14  
OP Senior Member
Flag Houston, TX

424 posts
More
Got a call from Motorola activations today saying there was a problem with my order and that they have to contact Verizon directly about the upgrade on my account. Hopefully the switch order is still tied to the SIM card and the phone will be activated on my account without changing my Basic phone line's plan. Anyone know what might happen at this point?
1st October 2014, 08:06 PM   |  #15  
OP Senior Member
Flag Houston, TX

424 posts
More
Well, I let the Motorola Rep talk with Verizon and they had me choose a data plan to apply to my basic phone line once the phone is activated. I was assured by VZW that no changes would be made to my account until I've activated the phone. If I do the SIM swap before turning on the device, will the switch order still be tied to the SIM I plan on destroying? Does anyone have any idea what may happen at this point?
2nd October 2014, 08:12 AM   |  #16  
OP Senior Member
Flag Houston, TX

424 posts
More
Well, got the email letting me know that my new Moto X has shipped. Should be here Friday. I'll keep you guys posted as you what happens with my account when I do the SIM swap.
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenMunky For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th October 2014, 03:47 AM   |  #17  
OP Senior Member
Flag Houston, TX

424 posts
More
Phone arrived today. Took out the preinstalled SIM card and used the mine for the initial boot and everything's great. Verizon account still shows my feature phone active with the no-4G plan! I'll keep an eye on it for the next week or so just to make sure, but I think everything's all good.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GreenMunky For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th October 2014, 05:13 AM   |  #18  
Thanks Meter: 34

170 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMunky

Phone arrived today. Took out the preinstalled SIM card and used the mine for the initial boot and everything's great. Verizon account still shows my feature phone active with the no-4G plan! I'll keep an eye on it for the next week or so just to make sure, but I think everything's all good.

That's awesome!!! BTW that is called the Jaycemiskel method and it works as long as you never activate the new smartphone on the basic line.
4th October 2014, 10:05 PM   |  #19  
Thanks Meter: 0

9 posts
This is awesome to see because my X should be here Tuesday and I am doing the same thing! OP did you already have a nano sim or did you cut yours?
4th October 2014, 10:12 PM   |  #20  
OP Senior Member
Flag Houston, TX

424 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtoninn

This is awesome to see because my X should be here Tuesday and I am doing the same thing! OP did you already have a nano sim or did you cut yours?

I used the nano SIM from my 2013 Moto X.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread