Android TV Launcher Pushed to Google Play

Over the past decade, the tech universe has seen two drastic and widely contrasting changes with … more

Cyngn, OnePlus, Micromax – The Legal Battle

Recently, a battle has been waging in India over the rights to distribute the commercial … more

Lean Mean Battery Power Saving App Review

We talk a lot about battery topics here at XDA TV. We talk about everything from Power Banks to USB … more

Android 5.1 Possibly Coming February 2015

Google released Android 5.0 just over a month ago, and since then Lollipop has been trying to … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Q] weird problem sending MMS messages...anyone have problems with MMS being too big?

OP sleepyguy007

24th October 2013, 01:07 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 36
 
139 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2010
I'm not sure if this is a moto X specific thing, but I've not had this problem on my previous phones.

So I noticed when I send a MMS to a friend (i'm on t-mobile , he's also on t-mobile with an htc one though i'm doubing that matter) he says it will say the image is too big and can't be sent or something like that. or that it can't be received.

I google about this a bit, and i saw a little bit of talk of it being a bug in the phone, and that you can't send MMS when on wifi but it would work when not on wifi (not sure how that makes any sense either). I saw some other posts about how if you send a message attached via gmail THEN send an MMS then MMS would start working , which also makes no sense to me as that seems so unrelated.

So previous to this phone i had a droid razr m (was on verizon before and even unlocked it for t-mobile for a bit) and i remember on that phone, when i sent an mms, sometimes the phone would say somethign like "this image will be resized before sending". the moto X never says that so is that a bug in the moto x? since i know that is an MMS size limit, but this phone never seems to prompt to resize.

anyway has anyone else had this issue?
4th January 2014, 09:13 AM   |  #2  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
13 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyguy007

I'm not sure if this is a moto X specific thing, but I've not had this problem on my previous phones.

So I noticed when I send a MMS to a friend (i'm on t-mobile , he's also on t-mobile with an htc one though i'm doubing that matter) he says it will say the image is too big and can't be sent or something like that. or that it can't be received.

I google about this a bit, and i saw a little bit of talk of it being a bug in the phone, and that you can't send MMS when on wifi but it would work when not on wifi (not sure how that makes any sense either). I saw some other posts about how if you send a message attached via gmail THEN send an MMS then MMS would start working , which also makes no sense to me as that seems so unrelated.

So previous to this phone i had a droid razr m (was on verizon before and even unlocked it for t-mobile for a bit) and i remember on that phone, when i sent an mms, sometimes the phone would say somethign like "this image will be resized before sending". the moto X never says that so is that a bug in the moto x? since i know that is an MMS size limit, but this phone never seems to prompt to resize.

anyway has anyone else had this issue?

YES, I have the same issue as well! Finally I found someone else that has the same problem as me haha.
When I first got my Moto X it worked just fine but recently I tried sending pictures to friends who also have T-Mobile and they all say that they can't see the picture because it says it is "too big", so along the same lines as the problem that you're having.

I going to call T-Mobile tomorrow and see if its maybe something on their side because when I check the details of the picture/message I sent, the size of the picture is under 1000KB (1000KB = 1MB which is the limit for sending MMS through T-Mobile, anything over 1MB gets stopped on their network).
7th January 2014, 01:53 AM   |  #3  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
13 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2013
Talking
Quick update:

I called T-Mobile an a representative told me that there were two ways of sending an MMS, specifically a picture, with the Moto X:
1. Stock Messaging App > Thread > Attach(Paper Clip icon) > Pictures. Then you select a picture from your gallery
2. Stock Messaging App > Thread > Attach(Paper Clip icon) > Capture Picture.

With the representative on the line, we tried both ways and figured out that option 1. works while 2. does not.

The conclusion that we came to is that if you capture a picture immediately, then it takes a full size picture and DOES NOT re-size it for MMS at all. HOWEVER, if you take a picture beforehand and then add it to a message from the gallery, it DOES re-size it.

I plan to call Motorola tomorrow and tell them about this issue so that hopefully they can either send out a fix or add it to an overall OTA update.

Hopefully I can contribute something to this forum haha
7th January 2014, 03:00 AM   |  #4  
Senior Member
Flag Marion
Thanks Meter: 15
 
245 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by poland153

Quick update:

I called T-Mobile an a representative told me that there were two ways of sending an MMS, specifically a picture, with the Moto X:
1. Stock Messaging App > Thread > Attach(Paper Clip icon) > Pictures. Then you select a picture from your gallery
2. Stock Messaging App > Thread > Attach(Paper Clip icon) > Capture Picture.

With the representative on the line, we tried both ways and figured out that option 1. works while 2. does not.

The conclusion that we came to is that if you capture a picture immediately, then it takes a full size picture and DOES NOT re-size it for MMS at all. HOWEVER, if you take a picture beforehand and then add it to a message from the gallery, it DOES re-size it.

I plan to call Motorola tomorrow and tell them about this issue so that hopefully they can either send out a fix or add it to an overall OTA update.

Hopefully I can contribute something to this forum haha

If I may ask..what r u using to msg? Stock message app.. Or something else?

Slapped my Moto
7th January 2014, 07:57 PM   |  #5  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
24 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2013
More
Same Issue
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpsychox

If I may ask..what r u using to msg? Stock message app.. Or something else?

Slapped my Moto

Same issue here. I am using the stock messaging app. I am on Verizon and am having trouble sending to T-Mobile. Haven't tried to other Verizon phones yet. I tried it over hangouts and had no issues, but then again Hangouts is using wifi.. Please let me know if you guys figure this one out!
7th January 2014, 10:13 PM   |  #6  
Senior Member
Flag Marion
Thanks Meter: 15
 
245 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kusaiashi

Same issue here. I am using the stock messaging app. I am on Verizon and am having trouble sending to T-Mobile. Haven't tried to other Verizon phones yet. I tried it over hangouts and had no issues, but then again Hangouts is using wifi.. Please let me know if you guys figure this one out!

I use handcent and don't have an issue.. I like the app 1000% better than stock...try it out... See if it ur phone or just the stock app.

Slapped my Moto
16th January 2014, 02:39 AM   |  #7  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
13 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpsychox

I use handcent and don't have an issue.. I like the app 1000% better than stock...try it out... See if it ur phone or just the stock app.

Slapped my Moto

Eh, I've tried that and GO sms app and multiple other ones back when I had a Samsung Mesmerize. Maybe that's why I grew favor to the stock AOSP app compared to the Samsung and other third party apps. O well.

Quick troubleshooting update: Ever since we got the update to Kit Kat and the introduction of using Hangouts to SMS, I've stayed with the stock app instead of Hangouts just because I like it better. However, I will switch to Hangouts just to see if I can send pictures successfully through that. Crossing my fingers this will work and will report back if anything improves

P.S. sorry for the long absence; I've been busy with school and haven't had time to post :P
19th January 2014, 03:29 AM   |  #8  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
13 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2013
Hey guys, I have come back baring good things.

So I've been using Hangouts for a couple of days and MMS and picture messaging works. I can send a picture to any T-Mobile number and they can download it and view it .

The only problem that I have experienced is that sometimes I get double-texts from a friend (but that can just be due to a faulty BlackBerry ;P).

Looks like Hangouts is the way to go for now
3rd March 2014, 03:09 AM   |  #9  
drago10029's Avatar
Senior Member
Phazon Mines
Thanks Meter: 79
 
467 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2008
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by poland153

Hey guys, I have come back baring good things.

So I've been using Hangouts for a couple of days and MMS and picture messaging works. I can send a picture to any T-Mobile number and they can download it and view it .

The only problem that I have experienced is that sometimes I get double-texts from a friend (but that can just be due to a faulty BlackBerry ;P).

Looks like Hangouts is the way to go for now

I've read the same issue in another thread. and the 2 fixes you mentioned came up:

1. people saying using hangouts fixes the issue
2. People saying attaching to MMS works and capturing a photo doesn't.
3rd March 2014, 05:20 PM   |  #10  
Mitalis's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 8
 
157 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2010
It's a bug with the Kit-Kat AOSP messaging apk. Other phones have this issue as well. I'm assuming that Google removed the picture compression code in an effort to get people to use Hangouts for SMS/MMS as Hangouts will compress down the pic w/o notifying you.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes