[Q] Wife pried the back off, internal components damaged, much sorrow.

Search This thread
May 8, 2013
So my wife was home alone when her new Moto X arrived. She read somewhere on the AT&T site that she needed a number off the battery, so - being used to her old Galaxy SII - she proceeded to pry off the back case. Obviously it came off all at once and tore a good amount of stuff off with it, and now I'm home early from work looking at a bit of a mess.

I'm a layman, but I can see that the following components are damaged:

Volume rocker / power button ribbon torn at the power button side
Antennae torn off completely (ribbon cable intact), square grey segments left behind on the battery
Camera ribbon detached from circuit board but seems to be intact
Random black tape torn off

Needless to say, with a busted phone, void warranty, and wife in tears... I need some help from XDA. What are my options? Repair it myself? Take it to a shop? Call it a loss and buy a Nexus off-contract? We don't have any upgrades left and can't really afford to buy a new smartphone at full price.

I uploaded photos of the damage to imgur, but I guess I don't have enough posts to supply the link. I uploaded them as attachments, hope that works.

Attachments

• Uqn8Jrll.jpg
    Uqn8Jrll.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 381
  • uFl76Dbl.jpg
    uFl76Dbl.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 353
  • cAclGfRl.jpg
    cAclGfRl.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 368
  • mx7lfmYl.jpg
    mx7lfmYl.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 371
May 8, 2013
Was what she read from the site from a att employee?

Sent from my XT1058 using XDA Free mobile app

No, she found a YouTube video for disassembling a Moto... G.

Something about knowing enough to be dangerous.

Anyway, I got on the phone with Motorola support and (shockingly?) they're replacing the phone at no cost. Even paying for return shipping. Go Motorola!

This thread can be locked now, sorry for the disturbance.

D

Darth

You're probably gonna have to pay for a repair. Warranty is more than likely void. They will obviously know the back was taken off.

Sorry!

---------- Post added at 11:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 PM ----------

Just read post above me. Lol

How awesome of Motorola. ?

Tell her not to do it again....or I'm sure they're not helping again. Lol

Restola

Dec 4, 2010
Michigan
No, she found a YouTube video for disassembling a Moto... G.

Something about knowing enough to be dangerous.

Anyway, I got on the phone with Motorola support and (shockingly?) they're replacing the phone at no cost. Even paying for return shipping. Go Motorola!

This thread can be locked now, sorry for the disturbance.
Wow hats off to them. That's totally something my wife would do so I feel for you. :)

Top Liked Posts