Sony Updates AOSP Sources to Android 5.0.1

Just a few days ago, Sony did an utterly fantastic job by pushing out numerous device trees for … more

Stop Your Screen From Turning Off with KeepItOn

We all know the feeling of reading a news article orrather longdocument, when our screen … more

The XDA LG QPair Developer Challenge Voting Has Begun!

It seems like it was just yesterday that weannounced that we had paired up with LGto … more

Major Update for the Sony Smartwatch 2 Brings DND and More

With the wearables landscape now dominated by Android Wear and Pebble, its … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

WiFi hotspot on 4.4.4 VZW?

OP kdog349

8th August 2014, 06:43 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 0

32 posts
Are there any options for running a WiFi hotspot on 4.4.4 VZW? I tried FoxFi and it said WiFi hotspot is blocked by the latest update. I'm currently not rooted.

Thanks!

Sent from my XT1060 using XDA Free mobile app
8th August 2014, 06:45 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 277

2,701 posts
I believe the only way is to do it either via USB or bluetooth.
8th August 2014, 07:54 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 7

30 posts
I hotspot off my moto x to my laptop with no issues and also hotspot for my tablet...without usb cable or bluetooth...i just turn on hotspot and go.
8th August 2014, 08:25 AM   |  #4  
Flag Modesto, CA
Thanks Meter: 196

503 posts
Donate to Me
More
You need root to WiFi hostpot. All the methods that I am aware of requires it. Soon we should have a boot loader unlock, which will get you root and let you do this. Until then USB or patience is your answer sadly.
25th August 2014, 07:30 AM   |  #5  
OP Member

32 posts
I don't pay the hotspot fee, so the built in hot spot doesn't work. Frustrating that they make hotspotting so difficult even though I'm allowed to do it by law (I have a data cap). Guess I'll just wait for root. Thanks!

25th August 2014, 03:41 PM   |  #6  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Thorndale/Romansville, PA
Thanks Meter: 957

2,274 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog349

I don't pay the hotspot fee, so the built in hot spot doesn't work. Frustrating that they make hotspotting so difficult even though I'm allowed to do it by law (I have a data cap). Guess I'll just wait for root. Thanks!

So you're not on the old unlimited data plan?

I thought Verizon enabled the hot spot feature on your phone automatically once you were on a tiered data plan, since it uses data from your tiered data.

You can always call them and ask.
27th August 2014, 10:33 PM   |  #7  
OP Member

32 posts
That's the frustrating part, I switched to a 6GB plan partially because of the hotspot feature but they still block it on my phone. They gave me some whacky reason when I called them, something to do with the price tier I'm in.

I thought they weren't allowed to restrict bandwidth on the LTE spectrum as per their deal with the FCC, but I guess they found a loophole.

28th August 2014, 07:07 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 161

912 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog349

That's the frustrating part, I switched to a 6GB plan partially because of the hotspot feature but they still block it on my phone. They gave me some whacky reason when I called them, something to do with the price tier I'm in.

I thought they weren't allowed to restrict bandwidth on the LTE spectrum as per their deal with the FCC, but I guess they found a loophole.

first, i'd read your TOS to see if it's mentioned there, then i'd call back and complain and then escalate to a manager. tethering is included in the share everything plans, so if you're on some unique plan, you may be out of luck.

also:
http://lifehacker.com/5933152/the-ri...t-means-to-you

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread