Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,797 Members 51,578 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

WiFi hotspot on 4.4.4 VZW?

Tip us?

kdog349
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default WiFi hotspot on 4.4.4 VZW?

Are there any options for running a WiFi hotspot on 4.4.4 VZW? I tried FoxFi and it said WiFi hotspot is blocked by the latest update. I'm currently not rooted.

Thanks!

Sent from my XT1060 using XDA Free mobile app

tu3218
Old
Thanks Meter 255
I believe the only way is to do it either via USB or bluetooth.

Transmissiontech
Old
Thanks Meter 7
I hotspot off my moto x to my laptop with no issues and also hotspot for my tablet...without usb cable or bluetooth...i just turn on hotspot and go.
Moto X Dev xt1060 unlocked rooted FXZ 4.4.4 with Maxx radio

Imacellist
Old
Thanks Meter 127
You need root to WiFi hostpot. All the methods that I am aware of requires it. Soon we should have a boot loader unlock, which will get you root and let you do this. Until then USB or patience is your answer sadly.

kdog349
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I don't pay the hotspot fee, so the built in hot spot doesn't work. Frustrating that they make hotspotting so difficult even though I'm allowed to do it by law (I have a data cap). Guess I'll just wait for root. Thanks!

KidJoe
Old
Thanks Meter 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog349 View Post
I don't pay the hotspot fee, so the built in hot spot doesn't work. Frustrating that they make hotspotting so difficult even though I'm allowed to do it by law (I have a data cap). Guess I'll just wait for root. Thanks!

So you're not on the old unlimited data plan?

I thought Verizon enabled the hot spot feature on your phone automatically once you were on a tiered data plan, since it uses data from your tiered data.

You can always call them and ask.
aka Mark_Venture

My Moto X tips and info

Currently using Verizon Moto X Developer Edition on my personal line.. But I have too many devices to choose from for work and personal... For the full list click -> HERE <-

kdog349
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
That's the frustrating part, I switched to a 6GB plan partially because of the hotspot feature but they still block it on my phone. They gave me some whacky reason when I called them, something to do with the price tier I'm in.

I thought they weren't allowed to restrict bandwidth on the LTE spectrum as per their deal with the FCC, but I guess they found a loophole.

Old
Thanks Meter 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog349 View Post
That's the frustrating part, I switched to a 6GB plan partially because of the hotspot feature but they still block it on my phone. They gave me some whacky reason when I called them, something to do with the price tier I'm in.

I thought they weren't allowed to restrict bandwidth on the LTE spectrum as per their deal with the FCC, but I guess they found a loophole.

first, i'd read your TOS to see if it's mentioned there, then i'd call back and complain and then escalate to a manager. tethering is included in the share everything plans, so if you're on some unique plan, you may be out of luck.

also:
http://lifehacker.com/5933152/the-ri...t-means-to-you