XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Wifi Tether Stealth

Tip us?

flacco40
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16
Default Wifi Tether Stealth

Hi I was wondering if I have a Moto X rooted with working wifi tether app (the common one downloaded) but not allowed to tether on my plan, will Verizon detect that I am tethering or are there settings that makes this stealth-like...undetected? What does changing the SSID and enabling encryption do?
..Well forget that cause people tend to answer the last question even 2 or 3 were asked..lol..just human nature... does the app allow your network to not detect youre thethering if not are there settings or other apps that are "stealth" to your provider?

zelendel
Old
Moderator Committee - The Dark Knight
Thanks Meter 10481

DONATE TO ME
Any carrier can detect it. They are allowed to monitor all traffic on their network.

Wayne Tech Nexus

If hard work pays off then easy work is worthless
SearchFu
Never Ask someone to do something your not willing to at least try to do yourself.
"Gotham is the work of a madman"- NunHugger Current Nexus 5-12 Nightly

flacco40
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelendel View Post
Any carrier can detect it. They are allowed to monitor all traffic on their network.

Wayne Tech Nexus
So whats the big deal about this wifi tether app that requires root? And you didnt answer the other questions as my post stated you wouldnt lol

zelendel
Old
Moderator Committee - The Dark Knight
Thanks Meter 10481

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by flacco40 View Post
So whats the big deal about this wifi tether app that requires root? And you didnt answer the other questions as my post stated you wouldnt lol
My answer covered all your questions. As for the app I am not sure as I don't need to tether. It doesn't matter the device. Any carrier can see what your doing on their network.

For the other options, I can't answer as I never used the app.

Wayne Tech Nexus

If hard work pays off then easy work is worthless
SearchFu
Never Ask someone to do something your not willing to at least try to do yourself.
"Gotham is the work of a madman"- NunHugger Current Nexus 5-12 Nightly

Ratamacue
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by flacco40 View Post
Hi I was wondering if I have a Moto X rooted with working wifi tether app (the common one downloaded) but not allowed to tether on my plan, will Verizon detect that I am tethering or are there settings that makes this stealth-like...undetected? What does changing the SSID and enabling encryption do?
..Well forget that cause people tend to answer the last question even 2 or 3 were asked..lol..just human nature... does the app allow your network to not detect youre thethering if not are there settings or other apps that are "stealth" to your provider?
If you have a Moto X on VZW, there is absolutely no need to worry about hiding tethering. They lost a class action suit some time ago that prevents them from blocking anything on a 4G LTE phone. There are some folks who still have unlimited that abuse this to the tune of 50+ GB/month.