5,605,519 Members 45,798 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Wood backs: Bamboo vs Others - any differences?

Tip us?

Jaxidian
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 216
Question [Q] Wood backs: Bamboo vs Others - any differences?

Hi all,

I have an Ebony/black/black Moto X I bought earlier this month but am having it swapped out due to some stability issues (randomly powers off). During the swapping process, they're letting me redesign my phone (if I want) and I'm considering Bamboo/White/Silver.

Also, I understand there are two types of "Natural" backs: Bamboo and Wood (where Walnut/Teak/Ebony are all the same thing just with different stains). Because of these two types, I have a couple questions from you veterans who have had the phone longer or maybe have had multiple of them to compare:

1) Are there any "feel" differences between Bamboo and Wood backs? Are they all just as smooth and everything?

2) Are there any issues with wear & tear between the two backs? How is it holding up? My ebony seems like it would last forever and I don't want to switch to Bamboo if it has some wear & tear issues.

3) Any other concerns you would have going from ebony to bamboo?

Thanks in advance! I'm ordering my replacement tonight if I can get some feedback.
If my post helps you, please click the "Thanks" button! :)

detonation
Old
(Last edited by detonation; 28th February 2014 at 04:08 PM.)
Thanks Meter 88
The Bamboo backs are a true wood material (well grass, technically) with a real, natural grain whereas the others are some misc type of wood with a fake printed grain finish on top. The bamboo is just as smooth, but has less of the papery feel the others have.

Personally, I feel like Motorola is deceiving people with the wood finishes, since to me a printed grain isn't much better than just just buying one of the various wood skins out there (other than it looking more seamless on the device).

I can't answer the other questions as I ultimately returned both my walnut and bamboo backs for a developer edition. I did like the look of my bamboo/black/blue version, but having an unlocked bootloader and root ended up trumping that
Droid > Droid Incredible > Droid X > Galaxy Nexus > Droid Razr Maxx > Galaxy S3 > Droid DNA > Moto X
The Following User Says Thank You to detonation For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Jaxidian
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 216
Thanks! I was somewhat leaning towards it but you tipped the scales in favor of the Bamboo back. I went Bamboo/white/silver.

I didn't realize the grain was painted on. I thought it was a real wood grain, just multiplied by one of three different wood stains. Interesting...
If my post helps you, please click the "Thanks" button! :)