No registration required

[Q] X gets hot while charging? normal?

OP Abhinav Valecha

5th May 2014, 10:41 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 14

69 posts
More
today is the 4th day with my Moto X...and i'm a little worried about my phone because of my battery issues.

the first day i got my phone, it came with 50% of charge and after some usage it got down to 14% but then, suddenly it dropped to 3%. I have some experience with this issue in my previous android phone, so i just tried a charge cycle and it is pretty much ok now.

BUT THEN

yesterday, my wifi was on and i was charging my phone and it went really hot, according to Antutu Benchmark the temperature was 45.1C (113.18F)... i quickly unplugged the phone, and it cooled down within 3 mins..

now today morning,
i made the phone shut down itself by draining its battery, kept on charge, i was not ussing it, only wifi was on and the temprature went 44C (the charge was around 30-40%).. i left the phone as it is.. and then when the phone charged up to 92% it got better (37C)

IS THIS ALL NORMAL? DO YOU GUYS FACE THIS?
if not, i'll have to replace this, so please help...

apart from this, i noticed that the device runs for a pretty long time at 1% charge
5th May 2014, 04:35 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 6

52 posts
More
My phone definitely gets warm when charging. I don't have any apps to tell me the exact temperature, but it doesn't scare me. 45 C is far below what the electronics can handle, and I wouldn't be concerned, it is well inside normal operating range in my opinion.
The Following User Says Thank You to garciaw For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th May 2014, 01:21 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 20

155 posts
More
My battery is currently 102f on network surfing the net unplugged. I've seen it as high as 113 and have not had any issues with the battery. I'm still getting 24+ hours between charges.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Tallest For This Useful Post: [ View ]
29th May 2014, 09:31 AM   |  #4  
OP Member

69 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by garciaw

My phone definitely gets warm when charging. I don't have any apps to tell me the exact temperature, but it doesn't scare me. 45 C is far below what the electronics can handle, and I wouldn't be concerned, it is well inside normal operating range in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tallest

My battery is currently 102f on network surfing the net unplugged. I've seen it as high as 113 and have not had any issues with the battery. I'm still getting 24+ hours between charges.

have you guys seen your X go as hot as 54C??
its a moth with my Moto X, and it gets hot REALLY EASILY, like do a little bit video recording or take some photo spheres or maybe just play candy crush while charging it goes 48C
and once... i kept a lot of files for upload on drive.. and it was on charge... nothing else...i kept the phone aside...and within 10mins it was hard to hold.. 54C
i am seriously worried.. but not willing to go for a replacement, since the service in my country is too bad.. any help?
29th May 2014, 06:12 PM   |  #5  
Flag Mumbai
Thanks Meter: 119

520 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhinav Valecha

have you guys seen your X go as hot as 54C??
its a moth with my Moto X, and it gets hot REALLY EASILY, like do a little bit video recording or take some photo spheres or maybe just play candy crush while charging it goes 48C
and once... i kept a lot of files for upload on drive.. and it was on charge... nothing else...i kept the phone aside...and within 10mins it was hard to hold.. 54C
i am seriously worried.. but not willing to go for a replacement, since the service in my country is too bad.. any help?

New phone gets hot in the beginning. Mine did and now it doesn't.Also avoid using your phone while charging , IT damages the battery .
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaRkRhiNe For This Useful Post: [ View ]
29th May 2014, 08:11 PM   |  #6  
Toronto
Thanks Meter: 135

528 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaRkRhiNe

New phone gets hot in the beginning. Mine did and now it doesn't.Also avoid using your phone while charging , IT damages the battery .

Batteries naturally degrade over time. That simply speeds up the process slightly (light tasks) or slightly more (gaming). I've done it on all my 7 smartphones (including my first from 2011) and all the stock OEM batteries are working to this day.

I've even gamed heavily (when I enjoyed those things..) on my S2 i9100 and iphone 4s and both those phones get awesome battery life to this day. The S2 was even left on a shelf in the garage over an entire winter lol.

It's just the word damages could misguide people so I wanted to clarify.

But charging temperature can vary between two identical smartphones. My first iphone 5 was rather cool to the touch while charging where as the warranty replacement I got (dust under the lens, they swapped it for a new one) I got tends to be warm and even slightly uncomfortable to hold while using the device moderately and charging at the same time (same charger). It's just variance in manufacturing. No two processors are alike, no two batteries are alike.
Last edited by scorpion667; 29th May 2014 at 08:16 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to scorpion667 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
30th May 2014, 01:51 PM   |  #7  
OP Member

69 posts
More
Thumbs up
thanks for your reply everyone... i guess i'll have to live with it..
maybe i'll just avoid using my phone while charging..

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread