Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,137 Members 50,023 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Is XT1053 a developer version?

Tip us?

x2h
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 38
Default Is XT1053 a developer version?

I searched the forum but still can't figure it out. Could someone please give me a straight answer and thanks.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk 2

overthatscreen
Old
Thanks Meter 23
I assume so, that's what I got. GSM Developer Edition.

Sent from my XT1053 using XDA Free mobile app
Palm Pre, EVO 4G, Galaxy S2, Sensation 4G, Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy S3, Galaxy S4, Moto X
The Following User Says Thank You to overthatscreen For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dancingtortoise
Old
Thanks Meter 53
Not necessarily. I have a 1053 and it's NOT a developer device. I think all t mobile variants are 1053.
Aka dancingtortoise
The Following User Says Thank You to dancingtortoise For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

samwathegreat
Old
(Last edited by samwathegreat; 4th June 2014 at 06:50 AM.) Reason: typo
Thanks Meter 1,608

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancingtortoise View Post
Not necessarily. I have a 1053 and it's NOT a developer device. I think all t mobile variants are 1053.
Actually, the T-Mobile variant IS considered the GSM developer edition. It is SIM-Unlocked, and Bootloader-Unlockable

There are 2 developer editions:

GSM: T-mobile Variant XT1053

CDMA: Verizon Developer edition XT1060 (interestingly, the non-Dev edition is also XT1060)

See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moto_X
Help us keep XDA fun and safe. Please read the RULES, and please respect your fellow members.

Looking for a new carrier? Check out Republic Wireless!
Plans starting at $10 for unlimited talk/text and $25 with unlimited data.
Use this link to save $20. RW is my carrier and I couldn't be happier with them.

I successfully CRACKED the SIM-LOCK on the Sprint XT1056 Moto X. Read about it HERE

Donate to me via BitCoin - 1samwaLJ7EdQFGME1dkUGPFZywUEKnXcT
The Following User Says Thank You to samwathegreat For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

TheSaw
Old
Thanks Meter 414

DONATE TO ME
Only difference between T-Mobile and Developer edition is that the Dev edition can be bootloader unlocked and rooted without losing the warranty. Hardware-wise it's the same.
GS2 i9100 - CM10.1.3
MotoX [XT1053|32GB|B/WB/B]
The Following User Says Thank You to TheSaw For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

KidJoe
Old
(Last edited by KidJoe; 4th June 2014 at 01:15 PM.)
Thanks Meter 769
@x2h

As stated (although I don't trust the Wikipedia link as they get the supported frequencies wrong... and link to the wrong FCC docs for the wrong carriers as their references)..

The XT1053 describes two models... which are the same internally... (At least in the USA, I'm not sure about the rest of the world!)

GSM Developer Edition and the "GSM Unlocked (with T-Mobile SIM)"

The differences...

Developer Edition comes only as 32gig, black face, woven white back and silver accents (buttons and ring around camera), and says Developer Edition on the back. Moto's web site gives out the bootloader unlock code, and it does NOT void the warranty.

The "GSM Unlocked" (as described on Moto Maker web site) can be fully customized via Moto Maker as 16 or 32gig and all the front, back and accent colors that are offered. While Moto's web site gives out the bootloader unlock code, requesting the code *DOES* void the warranty.

The bands, features, functions, installed software, modems, ROMs, are exactly the same on both varients of the XT1053. When requesting the Dev Edition Rom from Motorola, the file name starts with TMO_RETAIL_XT1053....

---------- Post added at 08:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:00 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwathegreat View Post
Actually, the T-Mobile variant IS considered the GSM developer edition. It is SIM-Unlocked, and Bootloader-Unlockable
Technically that is not correct.

The T-Mobile variant is actually the "GSM Unlocked (ships with T-Mobile SIM)" as described on the Moto Maker Website. Yes, it too is an XT053, and the internal hardware/specs are the same, but unlike the Dev Edition, you can customize its front/back/accent colors, get it as 16/32gb, and requesting the unlock code for the bootloader voids the warranty.

(Dev Edition XT1053 is not customize-able, comes only as 32gig, and requesting the unlock code for the bootloader *does not" void the warranty)

And the Dev Edition says "Developer Edition" on its back, where as the Non-Dev Editions do not.

---------- Post added at 08:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:07 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwathegreat View Post
...CDMA: Verizon Developer edition XT1060 (interestingly, the non-Dev edition is also XT1060)
Correct.

Just as with the XT1053 Dev vs Non-Dev, the Dev and Non-Dev XT1060 models are the same internal hardware, use the same roms, radios, etc. However, requesting the Dev Ed XT1060 rom from Moto, the file name does not have VZW or Retail in it.

The differences being...

Non-Dev Edition, you can customize its front/back/accent colors, get it as 16/32gb, and Moto does NOT supply the bootloader unlock code.

Dev Edition for Verizon XT1060 is not customize-able (same black face, woven white back, silver accents), comes only as 32gig, and Moto DOES give out the bootloader unlock code for free on their web site, and requesting the unlock code for the bootloader *does not" void the warranty. The Dev Edition XT1060 says "Developer Edition" on its back, where as the Retail and Moto Maker X for Verizon do not.
aka Mark_Venture

My Moto X tips and info

Currently using Verizon Moto X Developer Edition on my personal line.. But I have too many devices to choose from for work and personal... For the full list click -> HERE <-

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KidJoe For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

x2h
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 38
Thanks for all the quick answers. It is clear to me now.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk 2