Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,110 Members 41,386 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] XT1060 4.4.4 OTA Boot Loop

Tip us?

coreno
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] XT1060 4.4.4 OTA Boot Loop

TWRP Recovery
Rooted
Xposed framework installed

Been getting bugged for the 4.4.4 update, and I wanted to open and look at the ZIP out of curiosity, so I hit install now, thinking it still needed to download... but turns out it didn't, and rebooted right away.

So now I'm stuck in a boot loop of sorts.... it boots, and loads up Android, and I can use the phone, but after about 20-30 seconds it reboots into recovery.

Is there an easy way out of this without wiping everything? Preferably a modded OTA that I can install for the 4.4.4 update.

Dburgessme2
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Check out the thread under general tab to use RSD Flasher or House of Moto to install the 4.4.4 FXZ

DB's Moto X
The Following User Says Thank You to Dburgessme2 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

samwathegreat
Old
Thanks Meter 1,636

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreno View Post
TWRP Recovery
Rooted
Xposed framework installed

Been getting bugged for the 4.4.4 update, and I wanted to open and look at the ZIP out of curiosity, so I hit install now, thinking it still needed to download... but turns out it didn't, and rebooted right away.

So now I'm stuck in a boot loop of sorts.... it boots, and loads up Android, and I can use the phone, but after about 20-30 seconds it reboots into recovery.

Is there an easy way out of this without wiping everything? Preferably a modded OTA that I can install for the 4.4.4 update.
The above post is good advice. If you use House of Moto with the full 4.4.4 FXZ, you can choose to "KEEP DATA".

You will need to flash TWRP back on and re-root afterwards AND re-install Xposed, but all of your apps and settings will remain intact.

The reason this happened is because you have TWRP installed - taking OTAs *always* requires you to have STOCK recovery - not custom.

Good Luck
Help us keep XDA fun and safe. Please read the RULES, and please respect your fellow members.

Looking for a new carrier? Check out Republic Wireless!
Plans starting at $10 for unlimited talk/text and $25 with unlimited data.
Use this link to save $20. RW is my carrier and I couldn't be happier with them.

I successfully CRACKED the SIM-LOCK on the Sprint XT1056 Moto X. Read about it HERE

Donate to me via BitCoin - 1samwaLJ7EdQFGME1dkUGPFZywUEKnXcT
The Following User Says Thank You to samwathegreat For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

coreno
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by samwathegreat View Post
The above post is good advice. If you use House of Moto with the full 4.4.4 FXZ, you can choose to "KEEP DATA".

You will need to flash TWRP back on and re-root afterwards AND re-install Xposed, but all of your apps and settings will remain intact.

The reason this happened is because you have TWRP installed - taking OTAs *always* requires you to have STOCK recovery - not custom.

Good Luck
Thanks for the replies. Thanks for the reply... the phone eventually decided the update failed and gave up. Apparently clearing the cache would've also probably worked.

But, now I've reflashed stock recovery, removed xposed, and unrooted. I should be safe to just take the OTA now, right?

I would've done the FXZ earlier, but didn't realize there was a keep data option.

samwathegreat
Old
Thanks Meter 1,636

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Thanks for the replies. Thanks for the reply... the phone eventually decided the update failed and gave up. Apparently clearing the cache would've also probably worked.

But, now I've reflashed stock recovery, removed xposed, and unrooted. I should be safe to just take the OTA now, right?

I would've done the FXZ earlier, but didn't realize there was a keep data option.
You can try, and it will probably work....but if it were me, I'd still use the FXZ and keep data option. It's cleaner and no chance of something going wrong. Afterwards, just do like I said -- re-flash TWRP, re-root, then reinstall Xposed.
Help us keep XDA fun and safe. Please read the RULES, and please respect your fellow members.

Use this link to save $20. RW is my carrier and I couldn't be happier with them.

I successfully CRACKED the SIM-LOCK on the Sprint XT1056 Moto X. Read about it HERE

coreno
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by samwathegreat View Post
You can try, and it will probably work....but if it were me, I'd still use the FXZ and keep data option. It's cleaner and no chance of something going wrong. Afterwards, just do like I said -- re-flash TWRP, re-root, then reinstall Xposed.
Thanks for you help! I am all upgraded and got everything back going to the way it was!

samwathegreat
Old
Thanks Meter 1,636

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Thanks for you help! I am all upgraded and got everything back going to the way it was!
Great!! Glad to hear everything worked out. I sent you a Private message - check your PMs

jco23
Old
Thanks Meter 470
Just to add my experience: I too tried to apply the update (rooted, 4.4.2, xposed, stock recovery, locked boot loader).
Got the boot loop you mentioned.
Only remedy was for me to quickly go into root explorer and rename the 3c.ota.apk and 3c.ota.odex files. Now I no longer get the notifications (unless I reboot my phone).
Primary Device: Motorola Moto X (XT1060)
Xposed with Gravity Box

Previous Device: Motorola Razr M (XT907)
ROM: AOSP KitKat 4.4
Recovery: TWRP 2.6.3.0

Previous Device: Motorola Razr MAXX (XT912)
ROM: Stock JB 4.1.2
Recovery: Safestrap

Previous Device: Samsung Droid Charge (SCH i510)
ROM: Tweaked Lite 1.0
Kernel: Stock FP8
RFS

KidJoe
Old
Thanks Meter 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by jco23 View Post
Just to add my experience: I too tried to apply the update (rooted, 4.4.2, xposed, stock recovery, locked boot loader).
Got the boot loop you mentioned.
Only remedy was for me to quickly go into root explorer and rename the 3c.ota.apk and 3c.ota.odex files. Now I no longer get the notifications (unless I reboot my phone).
And in your case, it was Xposed.

There are several threads (and posts) discussing conditions for taking an OTA. You need stock recovery, have to disable Xposed, and you need to be close enough to stock so the pre-flash verification will pass. Otherwise, the OTA will fail, and/or you'll get stuck in a boot loop.

There is a little more to it as well, but I'll ask you to see the other threads.
aka Mark_Venture

My Moto X tips and info

Currently using Verizon Moto X Developer Edition on my personal line.. But I have too many devices to choose from for work and personal... For the full list click -> HERE <-

jco23
Old
Thanks Meter 470
Thought I disabled xposed. But perhaps not. I've read other threads. From my understanding, I won't be able to root (or even the quasi-root) on 4.4.4 with a locked boot loader.
Thx for the reply.
Primary Device: Motorola Moto X (XT1060)
Xposed with Gravity Box

Previous Device: Motorola Razr M (XT907)
ROM: AOSP KitKat 4.4
Recovery: TWRP 2.6.3.0

Previous Device: Motorola Razr MAXX (XT912)
ROM: Stock JB 4.1.2
Recovery: Safestrap

Previous Device: Samsung Droid Charge (SCH i510)
ROM: Tweaked Lite 1.0
Kernel: Stock FP8
RFS

Tags
4.4.4, boot loop, ota update, xt1060