Backup+ Lets You Backup Your App Data on Android Lollipop

Even though Android 5.0 Lollipop hasn’t yet seen its official release, quite … more

TechTalk Compiles All the Android News You Need in One App

If you’re as obsessed with mobile devices as the vast majority of our forum … more

Android App Review: Google Inbox to Improve Your Life – XDA TV

Recently, Google+ exploded with the announcement of Google Inbox, as … more

Damp the LG G3 Thermal Throttling

As our mobile devices grow thinner and more powerfulwith each passing generation, it’s inevitable … more

[Q] XT1060 4.4.4 OTA Boot Loop

OP coreno

18th August 2014, 12:33 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

17 posts
TWRP Recovery
Rooted
Xposed framework installed

Been getting bugged for the 4.4.4 update, and I wanted to open and look at the ZIP out of curiosity, so I hit install now, thinking it still needed to download... but turns out it didn't, and rebooted right away.

So now I'm stuck in a boot loop of sorts.... it boots, and loads up Android, and I can use the phone, but after about 20-30 seconds it reboots into recovery.

Is there an easy way out of this without wiping everything? Preferably a modded OTA that I can install for the 4.4.4 update.
18th August 2014, 02:07 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 7

66 posts
Check out the thread under general tab to use RSD Flasher or House of Moto to install the 4.4.4 FXZ

DB's Moto X
The Following User Says Thank You to Dburgessme2 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
18th August 2014, 02:54 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 1,730

1,990 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreno

TWRP Recovery
Rooted
Xposed framework installed

Been getting bugged for the 4.4.4 update, and I wanted to open and look at the ZIP out of curiosity, so I hit install now, thinking it still needed to download... but turns out it didn't, and rebooted right away.

So now I'm stuck in a boot loop of sorts.... it boots, and loads up Android, and I can use the phone, but after about 20-30 seconds it reboots into recovery.

Is there an easy way out of this without wiping everything? Preferably a modded OTA that I can install for the 4.4.4 update.

The above post is good advice. If you use House of Moto with the full 4.4.4 FXZ, you can choose to "KEEP DATA".

You will need to flash TWRP back on and re-root afterwards AND re-install Xposed, but all of your apps and settings will remain intact.

The reason this happened is because you have TWRP installed - taking OTAs *always* requires you to have STOCK recovery - not custom.

Good Luck
The Following User Says Thank You to samwathegreat For This Useful Post: [ View ]
18th August 2014, 02:56 AM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member

17 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by samwathegreat

The above post is good advice. If you use House of Moto with the full 4.4.4 FXZ, you can choose to "KEEP DATA".

You will need to flash TWRP back on and re-root afterwards AND re-install Xposed, but all of your apps and settings will remain intact.

The reason this happened is because you have TWRP installed - taking OTAs *always* requires you to have STOCK recovery - not custom.

Good Luck

Thanks for the replies. Thanks for the reply... the phone eventually decided the update failed and gave up. Apparently clearing the cache would've also probably worked.

But, now I've reflashed stock recovery, removed xposed, and unrooted. I should be safe to just take the OTA now, right?

I would've done the FXZ earlier, but didn't realize there was a keep data option.
18th August 2014, 02:57 AM   |  #5  

1,990 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:

Thanks for the replies. Thanks for the reply... the phone eventually decided the update failed and gave up. Apparently clearing the cache would've also probably worked.

But, now I've reflashed stock recovery, removed xposed, and unrooted. I should be safe to just take the OTA now, right?

I would've done the FXZ earlier, but didn't realize there was a keep data option.

You can try, and it will probably work....but if it were me, I'd still use the FXZ and keep data option. It's cleaner and no chance of something going wrong. Afterwards, just do like I said -- re-flash TWRP, re-root, then reinstall Xposed.
18th August 2014, 03:22 AM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member

17 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by samwathegreat

You can try, and it will probably work....but if it were me, I'd still use the FXZ and keep data option. It's cleaner and no chance of something going wrong. Afterwards, just do like I said -- re-flash TWRP, re-root, then reinstall Xposed.

Thanks for you help! I am all upgraded and got everything back going to the way it was!
18th August 2014, 04:07 AM   |  #7  

1,990 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:

Thanks for you help! I am all upgraded and got everything back going to the way it was!

Great!! Glad to hear everything worked out. I sent you a Private message - check your PMs
22nd August 2014, 12:48 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 470

1,657 posts
More
Just to add my experience: I too tried to apply the update (rooted, 4.4.2, xposed, stock recovery, locked boot loader).
Got the boot loop you mentioned.
Only remedy was for me to quickly go into root explorer and rename the 3c.ota.apk and 3c.ota.odex files. Now I no longer get the notifications (unless I reboot my phone).
22nd August 2014, 12:57 PM   |  #9  
Flag Thorndale/Romansville, PA
Thanks Meter: 849

2,087 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jco23

Just to add my experience: I too tried to apply the update (rooted, 4.4.2, xposed, stock recovery, locked boot loader).
Got the boot loop you mentioned.
Only remedy was for me to quickly go into root explorer and rename the 3c.ota.apk and 3c.ota.odex files. Now I no longer get the notifications (unless I reboot my phone).

And in your case, it was Xposed.

There are several threads (and posts) discussing conditions for taking an OTA. You need stock recovery, have to disable Xposed, and you need to be close enough to stock so the pre-flash verification will pass. Otherwise, the OTA will fail, and/or you'll get stuck in a boot loop.

There is a little more to it as well, but I'll ask you to see the other threads.
22nd August 2014, 01:22 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 470

1,657 posts
More
Thought I disabled xposed. But perhaps not. I've read other threads. From my understanding, I won't be able to root (or even the quasi-root) on 4.4.4 with a locked boot loader.
Thx for the reply.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
4.4.4, boot loop, ota update, xt1060
Previous Thread Next Thread