Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,803,209 Members 44,286 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Yellowish screen compared to another moto x

Tip us?

cammel
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 186
Default Yellowish screen compared to another moto x

Hi all, until yesterday I was really happy with my moto x since everything was working fine and I haven't had any problem at all with my phone running official Android 4.4 kitkat, BUT yesterday one of my coworkers bought himself a moto x just like mine and I was just explaining some things about the phone to him until at one point both phones were side by side and we opened Google.com website on the chrome browser and I noticed that my screen looked yellowish compared to his when displaying a white background like on google.com website.

The thing is that I set the brightness of both moto x to the maximum and still when both phones were side to side showing a white background my screen looked more yellow than his, the "whites" on his screen seems more bright and white than mine.
So, my question is if anyone here has the opportunity to have 2 moto x compared side by side, can you please open google.com website (or any white image) and tell me if the screen on one of the moto x looks more yellow than the screen on the other moto x?
Cause I need to know if this is maybe a common thing that can happen because not all the displays are exactly the same or if maybe my phone is faulty and I need to take it to the service.
And if you happen to have 2 moto x 's screens compared side by side with a white background, can you please be so kind to upload a picture here so I can see it?
Thanks a lot in advance for the help!

Enviado desde mi XT1058 mediante Tapatalk
Motorola MOTO X
NEXUS 7 32gb CM11

Steve-x
Old
Thanks Meter 172
It is normal screen variation. I have two Moto X's here and one has the more yellow screen. for some stuff it looks very nice, for other stuff I prefer the less yellow one. I do find the color saturation is not as pronounced with the yellowish screen version which could be a plus. I have compared 4 phones total and only one has had the more yellow screen.
Deep in the Heart of the State of the Art with my Moto X.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve-x For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

@rbiter
Old
Thanks Meter 959
Lol. You were happy until you compared to another x. What is the big deal? Oled is like in its 3rd or 4th gen iteration and there is still a big disparity in display. If it really bothers you that much stay away from oled. Its reason like this oled prices will be artificially high.

sent from my sm-9005.
The Following User Says Thank You to @rbiter For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

sparks83
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by @rbiter View Post
Lol. You were happy until you compared to another x. What is the big deal? Oled is like in its 3rd or 4th gen iteration and there is still a big disparity in display. If it really bothers you that much stay away from oled. Its reason like this oled prices will be artificially high.

sent from my sm-9005.
I fail to see your point. I just got done RMA'ing two nexus 5 phones and one screen was very yellow on white screens while the other, while still warm, was whiter. So it's not just with oled screens. It's annoying to me that most screens are a lottery and it's not fair to the customer. I would be unhappy about this too

Sent from my XT1053 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to sparks83 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

cammel
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-x View Post
It is normal screen variation. I have two Moto X's here and one has the more yellow screen. for some stuff it looks very nice, for other stuff I prefer the less yellow one. I do find the color saturation is not as pronounced with the yellowish screen version which could be a plus. I have compared 4 phones total and only one has had the more yellow screen.
Ok, thanks for your answer! It's not that I'm unhappy with it, in fact I didn't noticed this until I compared mine with the other moto x from my coworker, and it's only noticeable with white backgrounds like I said.

I just wanted to know if my phone was actually faulty because of this or if this kind of things are normal and that on the same phone model the screen differs on the white calibration or something that makes some of them more yellowish than the others..
Since you have 2 moto x, Can you please when you have the time upload a picture of the 2 of them side by side with a white background so I can see how much do they differ?
Thanks a lot in advance!

PS: so in your opinion for some stuff you prefer the yellowing screen and for some others the whiter one? That's interesting...

Enviado desde mi XT1058 mediante Tapatalk
Motorola MOTO X
NEXUS 7 32gb CM11

@rbiter
Old
Thanks Meter 959
There is variation in between screens. We are getting consumer grade stuff. I am willing to be the Korean and exynos models of note3 have a lot less variation and higher binned screens. My exynos note2 screen is still fantastic to this day and makes me hesitant to sell it. My note3 has some very minor flaws but it doesn't bother me. My glaxy nexus was pretty good but yellow. My sisters galaxy nexus was two toned. Brighter on top than bottom. Also was darker overall. My nexus one looked great besides the awful and I mean awful over saturation. I would consider two tone screens that are noticeable on any type of contrast being displayed or stripes or smudges that are noticeable on non display/test calibration type stuff to be defective. My note 3 is much whiter than my note2. My note2 definitely has a yellowish tinge to it but it also much brighter and the auto brightness limiter is less noticeable on note2. It is definitely a YMMV.

sent from my sm-9005.
The Following User Says Thank You to @rbiter For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]