5,595,645 Members 45,699 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[4.4 ROOT] SlapMyMoto 1.0 (Works with MotoWPNoMo)

Tip us?

jcase
Old
(Last edited by jcase; 19th December 2013 at 06:44 PM.)
Forum Moderator / Senior Recognized Developer - Taco Vendor - OP
Thanks Meter 5427

DONATE TO ME
Default [4.4 ROOT] SlapMyMoto 1.0 (Works with MotoWPNoMo)

My apologies for taking so long, life is hectic. This is a "root path" for the 4.4 update, and in this case you will retain your stock recovery so features like remote wipe will continue to work. It requires you downgrading to 4.2.2 or already be on 4.2.2 before updating to 4.4.

First you must use MotoWPNoMo, if you haven't then you will need to. Use RockMyMoto to gain root, then use MotoWPNoMo, and then restore to the 4.2.2 Camera update.

SlapMyMoto requires you to be on the 4.2.2 Camera update, you can find the firmware for your device below:
ATT- http://sbf.droid-developers.org/down...vice=0&file=22
Verizon - http://sbf.droid-developers.org/down...vice=0&file=55

Step1)

Unzip SlapMyMoto-1,0.zip and push the jar file to your internal storage
Code:
adb push SlapMyMoto.jar /sdcard/SlapMyMoto.jar
Step2)

Use http://www.cydiaimpactor.com/ to open up a telnet session as system user on port 2222. We covered how to use Impactor and telnet in the RockMyMoto root, I won't be covering it again since this post is going to be long enough already, see here -> http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2509590 or http://rootzwiki.com/topic/107098-ro...the-first-ota/

Connecting over telnet, and run Stage1 with this command:
Code:
dalvikvm -cp /sdcard/SlapMyMoto.jar SlapMyMoto
When the device tells you to reboot, do this manually with "adb reboot" or your power button. It will not auto reboot on this step

Step3)

Once the device has rebooted, run Impactor again and connect over telnet just like in the previous step, then run the same command
Code:
dalvikvm -cp /sdcard/SlapMyMoto.jar SlapMyMoto
Once the device has rebooted, please take the 4.4 OTA.

Step4)
Now that we are on 4.4, we can finish the process with adb shell:

Code:
adb shell
cp /sdcard/install.sh /data/local/tmp/install.sh
chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/install.sh
echo "/data/local/tmp/install.sh" > /sys/kernel/uevent_helper
Then either wait, or toggle your bluetooth. Once the device reboots, you will have root.
Attached Files
File Type: zip SlapMyMoto-1.0.zip - [Click for QR Code] (132.1 KB, 121913 views)
Do NOT email me asking for help rooting your device.

Something important?
Email: jcase@cunninglogic.com

Like Android security topics? Join our G+ community -> https://plus.google.com/communities/...07618051049043
My Bitcoin address : 1Newifz6yETTmbziCsZZstmHHPH6ejNr75
The Following 153 Users Say Thank You to jcase For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

AaronCompNetSys
Old
(Last edited by AaronCompNetSys; 6th March 2014 at 05:27 PM.)
Thanks Meter 47
After taking the 4.4 OTA in step 3, if you then take on the 4.4.2 OTA update afterwards, the write protection off will be reverted and /system/ will once again be locked. There is no known way at this time to reverse this for users with locked bootloaders.

If you are on 4.2.x, you will be prompted for the 4.4 OTA update before getting the 4.4.2 OTA. You should complete step 4 before deciding to take on the 4.4.2 OTA or not.

Other relivent quotes from jcase:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcase View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxSinisteRxX View Post
The only thing i didn't understand was the "restore to 4.2.2 camera update" part, and [...] i'm already on 4.2.2.
[...]you skipped a step...

Rooted devices rarely handle OTAs very well, especially if they do not have a recovery anymore. Restore to [stock], and continue.
^(From another thread, but a comon question in this one)^

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by _litz View Post
Quoting from Step 3: "Once the device has rebooted, please take the 4.4 OTA."

So what happens if the only OTA available is 4.4.2?
The device is not rooted at the step when you are taking the 4.4 OTA. The 4.4 update.zip is available from other sources and can be sideloaded in recovery.
Quote:
FYI, for Verizon, I believe I've found the 4.4 update zip here :

http://downloadandroidfiles.org/down...zon-en-us-zip/
Possible mirror, not verified: magnet:?xt=urn:btih:CDARPSOTRY7CO4EY6K6SNWVASPBPX46S

Quote:
Quote:
Ok ... so what if you use the 0.5c method, where you replace the recovery with the customized boot image, that enabled write protection?
You can't boot a customized image.
Quote:
Will that method work for 4.4.2 when it comes along?
No it won't work in 4.4.2, nor will it work with the 4.4 bootloaders.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lulajardim View Post
I know you stated before that you have no intention on developing new root methods for the Moto X.
But is there any chance you have reconsidered and decided to take a look on 4.4.2?
No time, sorry.

No one mentions custom bootloader.

I am aware 0.5c works, but it has it's own flaws hence no longer beign available. Don't take OTAs with root, it is not a smart move.

JC
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviwdoowks View Post
[What is] the benefit gained by this procedure.
Starting with the MotoX, Motorola started applying low level write protection to parts of the flash memory (in this case just /system). Root alone does not give us the ability to modify anything in system. My original hackjob that we used to bypass this has been fixed in Android 4.4. This is required if you want to actually install su into the /system partition.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacitus54 View Post
What happened to the flashing recovery.img, before taking the update to 4.4 and then flashing the 4.2.2 bootloader.
Previously we were using my workaround to write to system, now we are using MotoWPNoMo to gain write to system, as it is a better solution. No more recovery hackery needed.

Note: I will be reviewing threads and duplicating posts here to ease others finding them. PM me if you feel you have been misquoted or have something I missed.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AaronCompNetSys For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bejahnel
Old
Thanks Meter 3
You are the MAN!!! Amazing work!

freak4dell
Old
Thanks Meter 183
Says he won't release a root method for 4.4, has to deal with whiny, entitled people that think he's selfish for doing so, and still ends up releasing something. Now that's what I call a class act.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to freak4dell For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

brewcrewwheels
Old
Thanks Meter 19
i just went from 6 to midnight. damn, i love this community. now just need xposed for 4.4 and all will be right in the world.
The Following User Says Thank You to brewcrewwheels For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Coderedpl
Old
Thanks Meter 106

DONATE TO ME
10$ sent to you sir.
Thank you!

jcase
Old
Forum Moderator / Senior Recognized Developer - Taco Vendor - OP
Thanks Meter 5427

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by freak4dell View Post
Says he won't release a root method for 4.4, has to deal with whiny, entitled people that think he's selfish for doing so, and still ends up releasing something. Now that's what I call a class act.
Actually, i didn't really release a new exploit, and I won't be. This is the same primary exploits as motoroot/rockmymoto/pwnmymoto, just instead of installing su, it plants a "backdoor". Since they allowed us to downgrade, we were able to do this.
Do NOT email me asking for help rooting your device.

Something important?
Email: jcase@cunninglogic.com

Like Android security topics? Join our G+ community -> https://plus.google.com/communities/...07618051049043
My Bitcoin address : 1Newifz6yETTmbziCsZZstmHHPH6ejNr75
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to jcase For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

freak4dell
Old
Thanks Meter 183
Quote:
Actually, i didn't really release a new exploit, and I won't be. This is the same primary exploits as motoroot/rockmymoto/pwnmymoto, just instead of installing su, it plants a "backdoor". Since they allowed us to downgrade, we were able to do this.
True, but a method is a method, in my eyes.

I gotta wonder if Motorola left the ability to downgrade as somewhat of a subtle way of making up to the community for not being able to unlock the AT&T and Verizon versions. They're just too good at making secure bootloaders to make me think that it was just overlooked.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to freak4dell For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

a1exus
Old
Thanks Meter 34

DONATE TO ME
Thank You!!!
Moto X Android 4.4.2 KitKat update soaktest OTA Verizon VZW | alexus' blog
-
-Samsung Galaxy Nexus - Jelly Bean 4.2.2
+Moto X by Motorola - Android 4.4 KitKat
-ASUS Nexus 7 (2012) - Android 4.4 KitKat
+ASUS Nexus 7 (2013) - Android 4.4.2 KitKat

monkespit
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Thank you for all the great and hard work you do for everyone in the consumer motox community.
I will not whine or nag, I will wait patiently until it is complete and ready. I don't have as much time for testing and tinkering like in the droidx days.
So again, jcase, thank you thank you!

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

The Following User Says Thank You to monkespit For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]