5,599,539 Members 40,802 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[SCRIPT - ROOT] Moto X Root Script (Locked Bootloader)

Tip us?

ryanwv24
Old
Thanks Meter 2
So I have a question. Just got a Moto X from AT&T and it shipped with 4.2.2 software. What is the best method to root and keep root after ota?

Also what recovery can I use?

Coming from Verizon on HTC Droid DNA.

Thanks

iifuzz
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Also , when the 4.4.2 ota comes out, will root still be kept?

Redjax
Old
Thanks Meter 11
I, for the LIFE of me, cannot root this phone.

Let me just type out the process I've gone through to see if anyone can see what I'm doing wrong.

1. Flash back to 4.2.2 camera using RSD or the manual fastboot flash xx method.
2. Skip setup, connect to WiFi
3. Go through RockMyMoto part of this script (doesn't seem to work for me anymore, all the steps complete, but SuperSU says the binary isn't installed).
4. I've already removed write protection, so I skip that step.
5. Flash back to clean 4.2.2 camera
6. Take OTA
7. Try using the install.sh (never works).

Am I doing something wrong? This just plain doesn't work anymore.

stillthisguy
Old
Thanks Meter 354

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redjax View Post
I, for the LIFE of me, cannot root this phone.

Let me just type out the process I've gone through to see if anyone can see what I'm doing wrong.

1. Flash back to 4.2.2 camera using RSD or the manual fastboot flash xx method.
2. Skip setup, connect to WiFi
3. Go through RockMyMoto part of this script (doesn't seem to work for me anymore, all the steps complete, but SuperSU says the binary isn't installed).
4. I've already removed write protection, so I skip that step.
5. Flash back to clean 4.2.2 camera
6. Take OTA
7. Try using the install.sh (never works).

Am I doing something wrong? This just plain doesn't work anymore.
I know you were being helped in the other thread, but just in case.

Since you already have WP removed

1. Flash back to clean 4.2.2 camera update
2. Do the first part of slapmymoto
3. Install 4.4
4. Do the last part of slapmymoto
5. After issuing the last 3 commands of slapmymoto, wait about 1 minute, then reboot
6. After reboot, install SuperSU from play store and update binaries.
7. Profit.

themcfly
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Hello,

Just received my XT1052, european MOTO X. How can I know if this script will work with it? I can't find any info online on this model, also don't know to which US edition could be comparable. Thanks in advance.

Redjax
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillthisguy View Post
I know you were being helped in the other thread, but just in case.

Since you already have WP removed

1. Flash back to clean 4.2.2 camera update
2. Do the first part of slapmymoto
3. Install 4.4
4. Do the last part of slapmymoto
5. After issuing the last 3 commands of slapmymoto, wait about 1 minute, then reboot
6. After reboot, install SuperSU from play store and update binaries.
7. Profit.
Ok, I've tried this literally 15 times in the past couple days, and on the last step, I always get stuck with "/system/bin/sh: can't create /sys/kernel/uevent_helper: Permission Denied."

I have tried rooting this device every possible way I can find on the Internet; I've used the official SlapMyMoto post, I've been pointed to a Reddit thread, I've used a theUnlockr guide, I've watched YouTube videos, I've followed steps users have given me to try, and I've tried a few "SlapMyMoto didn't work? Try this" threads, with ABSOLUTELY NO LUCK. This device is driving me absolutely nuts, I'm ready to stomp on it with all the force I can send through my leg. All I want is root access. Is there anything else I can try before just giving up and selling it, and getting a different device that actually works?

stillthisguy
Old
Thanks Meter 354

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redjax View Post
Ok, I've tried this literally 15 times in the past couple days, and on the last step, I always get stuck with "/system/bin/sh: can't create /sys/kernel/uevent_helper: Permission Denied."

I have tried rooting this device every possible way I can find on the Internet; I've used the official SlapMyMoto post, I've been pointed to a Reddit thread, I've used a theUnlockr guide, I've watched YouTube videos, I've followed steps users have given me to try, and I've tried a few "SlapMyMoto didn't work? Try this" threads, with ABSOLUTELY NO LUCK. This device is driving me absolutely nuts, I'm ready to stomp on it with all the force I can send through my leg. All I want is root access. Is there anything else I can try before just giving up and selling it, and getting a different device that actually works?
Since you have listed everything else, you could try my toolkit. Have had a lot of people report that it worked for them. After installing, choose option 11, make sure you have the correct files in the correct folders, then choose option 1. Answer the first question No, then answer the second question Yes. If you run into any issues you can comment in my thread as well.

razmalai
Old
(Last edited by razmalai; 11th February 2014 at 05:36 AM.) Reason: error originally listed 4.2.2 when version is 4.4
Thanks Meter 0
Default How can I undo the changes generated by this script?

Used this script on T-mobile version, bootloader locked

No luck, did not gain root access, I believe, because had issues with telnet as other users have had. Back on 4.4 now

Would like to:

1) Accept the latest OTA (Blur_Version.161.44.25.ghost_row.Retail.en.US.zip ) - installation aborts!

Tried installing the OTA manually however when in Recovery, when verifying current system, get error '"/modem/image/dsps.b00" has unexpected contents. Installation aborted

2) Install apps NOT from Play store, but can't because entering security tab is now impossible

Is it possible to fix this by completely restoring the original state of the phone somehow? Thanks.

ashrob
Old
Thanks Meter 0
"Moto X factory image was NOT found" and yet it's right there, in the folder, downloaded from the link in the OP. I've tried changing the filename etc but still the same error. EU Moto XT1052.

Any ideas anyone please?

Flexia32
Old
Thanks Meter 6
I was having issues with Telnet and I think it had to do with the Telnet server not being installed in windows. Make sure you go to Control Panel, Programs, Turn Windows Features On and OFF and Make sure BOTH telnet folders are selected.

The Following User Says Thank You to Flexia32 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
moto x, root, toolkit, xt10