Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,660 Members 53,802 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[MOD][VZW][4.2 & 4.4]Statusbar Graphic fixes

Tip us?

j2cool2012
Old
(Last edited by j2cool2012; 26th November 2013 at 05:40 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 100

DONATE TO ME
Default [MOD][VZW][4.2 & 4.4]Statusbar Graphic fixes

So, I love the Moto X, but a couple things had been bugging me about it.
  • The giant 4G LTE icon (We get it Verizon, it's your network)
  • The weird wifi icon spacing
  • The 5 bar signal bar (I don't get this one. Is this a new thing? Does any other phone on verizon do this?
  • The glitchy 5 bar drawable (There's a weird extra line in there for some reason.)

So I did a small edit to the SystemUI to fix those for me, and I figured you guys might like it too.

Go from this:

To this:

Download the modded SystemUI flashable zip [4.2.2] here.
To install, just flash in Safestrap.

NEW Download the edit for 4.4 here. This is not a flashable zip. Since we don't have Safestrap for 4.4 just yet, check out how to apply it below:

----------------------------

Download the SystemUI and place it in a folder.
CD into that folder, and open a command line/terminal there. (If you don't have ADB in your path, you will have to put it where ADB is.)
Do the following (make sure you're in "recovery" mode so things stick)
Code:
adb push SystemUI.apk /sdcard/

adb shell
----------(this will enter you into a shell on the device)-----------
Code:
su
mount -o remount,rw /system
cp /sdcard/SystemUI.apk /system/priv-app/
reboot recovery

UPDATES
(11/17) 1.01 - Fixed some unchanged images when you're on 3G/1X and wifi.

(11/26) 2.0 Added a 4.4 version (No Safestrap)

MAKE SURE YOU BACK UP YOUR SYSTEMUI BEFORE REPLACING IT.

To-Do next - Remove mobile indicator on wifi.

Enjoy~
Current Phone : Moto X [VZW] Stock Rooted 4.4
---------------
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to j2cool2012 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

natezire71
Old
Thanks Meter 297
So, this should theoretically be possible on a locked MotoX, correct? Would you mind giving me the edits you made for removing the weird wifi spacing?

I assume to make the SystemUI edit, I would have to deodex my SystemUI.apk, correct?
MotoX, KitKat
Nexus7.2, KitKat

j2cool2012
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 100

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by natezire71 View Post
So, this should theoretically be possible on a locked MotoX, correct? Would you mind giving me the edits you made for removing the weird wifi spacing?

I assume to make the SystemUI edit, I would have to deodex my SystemUI.apk, correct?
This is already for locked bootloaders. Just flash in safestrap!

Also, funny story about the wifi spacing, I didn't actually edit anything but the images. Moto/VZ actually had too much space on the icon itself! Probably to make room for the 4GLTE icon. That too, was just a simple image edit/swap, and it fell right back where it was supposed to be. Weird that they did that. If they wanted their LTE icon that bad, they could have easily done it tastefully.
---------------

natezire71
Old
Thanks Meter 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by j2cool2012 View Post
This is already for locked bootloaders. Just flash in safestrap!

Also, funny story about the wifi spacing, I didn't actually edit anything but the images. Moto/VZ actually had too much space on the icon itself! Probably to make room for the 4GLTE icon. That too, was just a simple image edit/swap, and it fell right back where it was supposed to be. Weird that they did that. If they wanted their LTE icon that bad, they could have easily done it tastefully.
Wooooooooooooow. I can't believe they put space in the actual images. Stupid if you ask me. However, that doesn't make sense. Gravity Box has an option for using its built in icons. These icons still have the spacing issue.

What I'm asking is if I can use this to work on a LOCKED MotoX. Would I just need to deodex the SystemUI.apk?
MotoX, KitKat
Nexus7.2, KitKat

j2cool2012
Old
(Last edited by j2cool2012; 18th November 2013 at 09:28 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 100

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Wooooooooooooow. I can't believe they put space in the actual images. Stupid if you ask me. However, that doesn't make sense. Gravity Box has an option for using its built in icons. These icons still have the spacing issue.

What I'm asking is if I can use this to work on a LOCKED MotoX. Would I just need to deodex the SystemUI.apk?
I'm sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by locked Moto X. I would assume deodexing the SystemUI would work. Also, related, does this image have the weird wifi spacing you're talking about?

---------------

natezire71
Old
Thanks Meter 297
Quote:
I'm sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by locked Moto X. I would assume deodexing the SystemUI would work. Also, related, does this image have the weird wifi spacing you're talking about?

No it does not.

Locked MotoX... you know... not the dev edition? I'm on stock ROM, rooted. Not using safestrap or anything.
MotoX, KitKat
Nexus7.2, KitKat

j2cool2012
Old
(Last edited by j2cool2012; 18th November 2013 at 10:15 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 100

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
No it does not.

Locked MotoX... you know... not the dev edition? I'm on stock ROM, rooted. Not using safestrap or anything.
Yeah that's what I thought you meant. I am also on a retail locked Moto X. Safestrap is MADE for our phones. Just head over to this thread, install it and you will have basically TWRP, ready to flash Safestrap-compatible ROMs and zip file mods.

If you'd rather though, you can just push the SystemUI to /system/app manually using ADB. If you know how, and would prefer that, you can use this code:

Code:
adb push SystemUI/apk /sdcard/
adb shell
su
getprop ro.boot.write_protect
If this does not return a 0, you need to reboot into "recovery" to turn off write protect. Then

Code:
mount -o remount,rw /system
cp /sdcard/SystemUI.apk /system/app
reboot recovery
And that will do basically what the ZIP does.
---------------

natezire71
Old
Thanks Meter 297
Quote:
Yeah that's what I thought you meant. I am also on a retail locked Moto X. Safestrap is MADE for our phones. Just head over to this thread, install it and you will have basically TWRP, ready to flash Safestrap-compatible ROMs and zip file mods.
That's what I'm saying--I don't want to use SafeStrap.
MotoX, KitKat
Nexus7.2, KitKat

j2cool2012
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 100

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
That's what I'm saying--I don't want to use SafeStrap.
Ah i see now. Check out the above post. I just edited it with manual instructions.
---------------

natezire71
Old
Thanks Meter 297
Quote:
Ah i see now. Check out the above post. I just edited it with manual instructions.
You're awesome--I really appreciate it!
MotoX, KitKat
Nexus7.2, KitKat

The Following User Says Thank You to natezire71 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]