Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,583 Members 38,267 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[APP] Moto Skip tag creator

Tip us?

krohnjw
Old
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 527
Default [APP] Moto Skip tag creator

Here's a quick APK to allow you to create a base Skip tag to activate NFC unlock. Apparently non dev devices don't have this available out of the box.

A few notes.
  1. You can't re-write this tag using the Moto X. The NFC service intercepts these tags and won't deliver them to another app to write (even with foregroundDispatch set up as far as I can tell). You can freely overwrite it with any other device though and it will work with any app again on the Moto X
  2. This should allow you to use a tag as a Skip tag as well as expose the NFC Lock Screen option and Manage NFC Unlock options under security settings (see screenshot) if you don't have an official skip tag. Using this you can create new skip tags using any writable tag and add them to your supported tag list.

Grab it here: http://goo.gl/5bUqPW

NFC Lock settings
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	device-2013-10-04-145159.jpg
Views:	1840
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	2302040  
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to krohnjw For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Yoshiofthewire
Old
(Last edited by Yoshiofthewire; 4th October 2013 at 09:51 PM.)
Thanks Meter 2
FYI: Once you have the NFC unlock option in the lock screen part of setting you can just hold up any writable tag at the add new tag step, and the phone will write the skip code on to the tag.
Current: Moto X
Former: Galaxy S4, Nexus 4, Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy S II SGH-I777, HTC Vivid, HTC Aria, Motorola Backflop

krohnjw
Old
Thanks Meter 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshiofthewire View Post
I have a skip, and have used it on this phone ... but, if you have the NFC unlock option in the lock screen part of setting you can just hold up any writable tag at the add new tag step, and the phone will automagicly write the skip code on to the tag. You can even use a blank tag as your primary tag. No Skip tag needed.

No, the phone doesn't tell you this.
Just an FYI.
This is for everyone that does not have this exposed. Apparently this is most carrier devices. The NFC unlock lock screen does not appear until after they scan a skip tag. This is just to encode a single skip so they can scan it and effectively unlock the option. Dev devices don't appear to have this issue (gsm at least) as it is available out of the box and works fine with any writable, supported tag.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to krohnjw For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Yoshiofthewire
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Yeah, saw that. Edited post to show that.
Current: Moto X
Former: Galaxy S4, Nexus 4, Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy S II SGH-I777, HTC Vivid, HTC Aria, Motorola Backflop
mentose457 Old
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks for the app OP. It worked great. I programmed two tags. I also have an assortment of magnets I'm testing for turning on NFC.

Sent from my Moto X.

km8j
Old
Thanks Meter 14
What am I missing? I have a VZW Rooted Moto X (non-dev). I installed this app but don't see the NFC security options. I even went into the Skip app and scanned a tag and it said created successfully.

krohnjw
Old
Thanks Meter 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by km8j View Post
What am I missing? I have a VZW Rooted Moto X (non-dev). I installed this app but don't see the NFC security options. I even went into the Skip app and scanned a tag and it said created successfully.
Tap that tag you created, it will take you through the setup. After that the NFC unlock options will be present.
The Following User Says Thank You to krohnjw For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

km8j
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by krohnjw View Post
Tap that tag you created, it will take you through the setup. After that the NFC unlock options will be present.
That literally does absolutely nothing. I've tried with two tags. It says write successful but subsequent scans (while app is open or closed) do literally nothing. FWIW, clicking "settings" does nothing either.

krohnjw
Old
Thanks Meter 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by km8j View Post
That literally does absolutely nothing. I've tried with two tags. It says write successful but subsequent scans (while app is open or closed) do literally nothing. FWIW, clicking "settings" does nothing either.
Beats me. This just creates a copy of a skip tag. Once the tag is encoded as a skip tag it won't be delivered to apps any longer and should be picked up by the moto skip sw. You didn't freeze these moto apps as recommended in many threads to save battery? Outside of that idk. It's handled internally by the NFC service and the moto software.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to krohnjw For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

km8j
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by krohnjw View Post
Beats me. This just creates a copy of a skip tag. Once the tag is encoded as a skip tag it won't be delivered to apps any longer and should be picked up by the moto skip sw. You didn't freeze these moto apps as recommended in many threads to save battery? Outside of that idk. It's handled internally by the NFC service and the moto software.
Wait do I NEED to have a Skip already? I froze some apps but don't think anything related. I can check.

Tags
moto skip, moto x, nfc, skip