Google Wallet outside US - Tap to Pay working (no root required)

OP rioachim

21st May 2014, 01:02 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 23

86 posts
Ok, you've got Moto X with NFC but you'd like to use that for something. Motorola Skip would be a nice option if you can get one from US for 10-15$.

Still not enough? Let's get Google Wallet installed:

1. download Google Wallet 2.0-R163-v18-RELEASE APK (http://www.apk4fun.com/apk/7185/ or alternatives)
2. install Google Wallet and open it; it will tell you to move to US, ignore it but check out change country link in that pop-up message
3. temporary change home address to City: Clearwater, State: FL (Florida), Post code: 33760, street/name can stay the same
4. clear data for Google Wallet app, uninstall it and reinstall it from the same APK
5. set up VPN in phone settings: VPN Type: PPTP / VPN Server Hostname: bestvpnusa.com / VPN Username: bestvpnusa.com / VPN Password: 1183 (http://www.bestvpnusa.com/) or search for something safer like pureVPN (trial account: 2.5$). Connect to it.
6. reopen Google Wallet. Behold the magic: enter a new pin and enjoy
7. deactivate VPN connection, change back home address, setup a credit card in Google Play or Google Wallet PC interface if you don't have one already
8. open up Google Wallet, it should load without problems. Activate Tap to Pay option from My Wallet window, activate Orders Tracking if you like, just don't get too excited by Send Money menu link because it requires to verify you US identity (which you don't really have, remember?)
9. look like a total geek when using pay pass terminals in the real world. Some recent users reported that international transactions are declined, but you won't know for sure until you try it.

Setup worked for me in Europe, let other know if it works for you too.
Last edited by rioachim; 21st May 2014 at 01:21 PM.
22nd May 2014, 06:06 AM   |  #2  
Flag Metro Vancouver Region
Thanks Meter: 8

70 posts
Donate to Me
More
Unhappy Works, kinda
Quote:
Originally Posted by rioachim

Ok, you've got Moto X with NFC but you'd like to use that for something. Motorola Skip would be a nice option if you can get one from US for 10-15$.

Still not enough? Let's get Google Wallet installed:

1. download Google Wallet 2.0-R163-v18-RELEASE APK (http://www.apk4fun.com/apk/7185/ or alternatives)
2. install Google Wallet and open it; it will tell you to move to US, ignore it but check out change country link in that pop-up message
3. temporary change home address to City: Clearwater, State: FL (Florida), Post code: 33760, street/name can stay the same
4. clear data for Google Wallet app, uninstall it and reinstall it from the same APK
5. set up VPN in phone settings: VPN Type: PPTP / VPN Server Hostname: bestvpnusa.com / VPN Username: bestvpnusa.com / VPN Password: 1183 (http://www.bestvpnusa.com/) or search for something safer like pureVPN (trial account: 2.5$). Connect to it.
6. reopen Google Wallet. Behold the magic: enter a new pin and enjoy
7. deactivate VPN connection, change back home address, setup a credit card in Google Play or Google Wallet PC interface if you don't have one already
8. open up Google Wallet, it should load without problems. Activate Tap to Pay option from My Wallet window, activate Orders Tracking if you like, just don't get too excited by Send Money menu link because it requires to verify you US identity (which you don't really have, remember?)
9. look like a total geek when using pay pass terminals in the real world. Some recent users reported that international transactions are declined, but you won't know for sure until you try it.

Setup worked for me in Europe, let other know if it works for you too.

I've had Google Wallet installed I'm in Canada. I mostly use it to store loyalty cards. Don't know how I got it set up but I never had to go through all that. It even updated through the play store! I do have my primary google address set to a US address though so I guess that's why.
I can't get a Canadian card to work but I set up a US credit card in wallet and it worked. Tap and Pay also works. Well sort of. You are able to get the credit card terminal (in Canada) to recognize the card but the payment will be declined instantly, probably because the virtual google card that all purchases go through does not work outside of the US. (See https://support.google.com/wallet/answer/3222630?hl=en.) Anyways, I know that its not the actual plastic US credit cards problem because using the actual card allows the payment to go through (with a exchange fee of course).

So, basically you have a app that only keeps track of your loyalty cards and orders. Not bad but not great either.

I would love to be proven wrong though, if anyone has successfully used wallet to tap to pay outside of US AFTER google got rid of the prepaid card, please do share. (In the beginning Google had a prepaid card set up that you could deposit funds into and it worked everywhere, but they got rid of it)
22nd May 2014, 09:21 PM   |  #3  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 23

86 posts
After 2 days Wallet stopped working complaining again about country. This useless thread can be deleted.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread