Post Reply

[MOD][VZW][AT&T][SPR] Native tether

OP amoamare

13th September 2013, 09:13 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 305
 
398 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2006
Donate to Me
Requires root access

I went ahead and patched the app that check's for subscription on Verizon when trying to enable WiFi or USB Tether.

I may self have an unlimited data plan and have been declined tethering because of my use.

This needs to be installed in the /system that means if you reboot you will have to redo these steps again.

Download the apk below

Code:
adb push VzwEntitlementService.apk /data/local/tmp/VzwEntitlementService.apk
adb shell
su
mount -o remount,rw /system
rm /system/app/VzwEntitlementService.apk
rm /system/app/VzwEntitlementService.odex
cat /data/local/tmp/VzwEntitlementService.apk > /system/app/VzwEntitlementService.apk
mount -o remount,ro /system
exit
exit

Do not reboot

Q) What code was replaced?
I return a false value in class *DialogActivity I basically remove everything listed in isVZWAccount or isATTAccount and replace with this.
Code:
.method private isATTAccount(Ljava/lang/String;)Z
    .locals 1

    .prologue
    .line 212
    const/4 v0, 0x0

    return v0
.end method

This const/4 v0, 0x0 is a false const change 0x0 to 0x1 will make it true. We then return that const using return v0; v0 = 0x0;

I was going to wait to post but can't really do any harm as long as you followed this.

Q) What was patched ?
A) There is a check to verify if the phone is a Verizon phone, if its true it checks if you have tethering on your plan. I just removed the whole check and always return false. After that it no longer checks if you have tethering on your plan.

Added AT&T Entitlement Service.apk its pre-patched.

Added the Sprint patched version thanks to jonnrb see his post in this thread. I have not personally tested it. Hope he is okay with adding it to the first page.
Attached Files
File Type: apk VzwEntitlementService.apk - [Click for QR Code] (97.7 KB, 1683 views)
File Type: apk entitlementservice.apk - [Click for QR Code] (18.4 KB, 603 views)
File Type: apk SprintEntitlement.apk - [Click for QR Code] (10.5 KB, 247 views)
Last edited by amoamare; 22nd September 2013 at 09:13 PM.
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to amoamare For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th September 2013, 09:41 PM   |  #2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 329
 
1,960 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2010
Once system r/w is enabled you will be able to make this permanent right? So that it stays enabled even when rebooting?

Sent from my Nexus 7
13th September 2013, 09:54 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 305
 
398 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2006
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by phositadc

Once system r/w is enabled you will be able to make this permanent right? So that it stays enabled even when rebooting?

Sent from my Nexus 7

Yes once system has r/w access you can make this a permanent solution.
13th September 2013, 10:40 PM   |  #4  
Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
50 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2009
Can this be installed from your phone?
13th September 2013, 10:42 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 305
 
398 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2006
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squintz

Can this be installed from your phone?

Yeah you can keep a copy of it in /data/local/tmp
That way you can just run the terminal commands or build a shell script to run them for ease.
13th September 2013, 10:44 PM   |  #6  
htowngator's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 54
 
628 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2008
Awesome, great job. Can't wait till r/w enabled.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
13th September 2013, 11:10 PM   |  #7  
ericizzy1's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 44
 
1,324 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2006
deleted
Last edited by ericizzy1; 13th September 2013 at 11:13 PM.
13th September 2013, 11:45 PM   |  #8  
terabyte128's Avatar
Member
Flag Seattle
Thanks Meter: 5
 
63 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by amoamare

Requires root access

I went ahead and patched the app that check's for subscription on Verizon when trying to enable WiFi or USB Tether.

I may self have an unlimited data plan and have been declined tethering because of my use.

This needs to be installed in the /system that means if you reboot you will have to redo these steps again.

Download the apk below

Code:
adb push VzwEntitlementService.apk /data/local/tmp/VzwEntitlementService.apk
adb shell
su
mount -o remount,rw /system
rm /system/app/VzwEntitlementService.apk
rm /system/app/VzwEntitlementService..odex
cat /data/local/tmp/VzwEntitlementService.apk > /system/app/VzwEntitlementService.apk
exit
exit

Do not reboot

I was going to wait to post but can't really do any harm as long as you followed this.

Q) What was patched ?
A) There is a check to verify if the phone is a Verizon phone, if its true it checks if you have tethering on your plan. I just removed the whole check and always return false. After that it no longer checks if you have tethering on your plan.

After doing this, should the /system partition be remounted as read only? I'm making a script to automatically do this at boot.

BTW thanks for the app, much appreciated!
13th September 2013, 11:49 PM   |  #9  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 305
 
398 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2006
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by terabyte128

After doing this, should the /system partition be remounted as read only? I'm making a script to automatically do this at boot.

BTW thanks for the app, much appreciated!

Its always a good idea no idea why i left it out haha.

adb shell mount -o remount,ro /system
13th September 2013, 11:58 PM   |  #10  
terabyte128's Avatar
Member
Flag Seattle
Thanks Meter: 5
 
63 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by amoamare

Its always a good idea no idea why i left it out haha.

adb shell mount -o remount,ro /system

When I try to do this using scripter I get the error "device busy." The hotspot works but I'm worried it's not remounting it, any ideas? Here's the script (I just modified yours slightly):


Code:
mount -o remount,rw /system
rm /system/app/VzwEntitlementService.apk
rm /system/app/VzwEntitlementService..odex
cat /storage/emulated/legacy/VzwEntitlementService.apk > /system/app/VzwEntitlementService.apk
mount -o remount,ro /system

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Top Threads in Moto X Themes and Apps by ThreadRank