Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,811,145 Members 44,651 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Native tether for VZW DE 4.4

Tip us?
 
Coderedpl
Old
(Last edited by Coderedpl; 26th November 2013 at 02:46 AM.) Reason: Revised post for correct info
#31  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 108
Posts: 1,421
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Valley Stream, NY

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crooke356 View Post
Can't figure out why but I have to redo the process every time I reboot. I have to rename the .bak and delete the .apk, then redo. Upon reboot, I get entitlement has fc.

Sent from my XT1060 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
I believe it has to do with the read/write protection.
In which case you would have to reboot to recovery which turns off the protection, set it up, and then reboot normally and it should stick. I just did it and it worked fine.

To make sure, you can type in "adb shell getprop ro.boot.write_protect" and you should see a 0, if you do, the changes will stick.
 
Crooke356
Old
(Last edited by Crooke356; 26th November 2013 at 01:04 PM.)
#32  
Crooke356's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 144
Posts: 482
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Indianapolis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coderedpl View Post
I believe it has to do with the read/write protection.
In which case you would have to reboot to recovery which turns off the protection, set it up, and then reboot normally and it should stick. I just did it and it worked fine.

To make sure, you can type in "adb shell getprop ro.boot.write_protect" and you should see a 0, if you do, the changes will stick.
First thing I did... Odd

Edit: nvrmnd, that did it. Must have done something wrong the many times I tried before. sorry and thanks.



Sent from my XT1060 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
 
Coderedpl
Old
#33  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 108
Posts: 1,421
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Valley Stream, NY

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crooke356 View Post
First thing I did... Odd

Edit: nvrmnd, that did it. Must have done something wrong the many times I tried before. sorry and thanks.



Sent from my XT1060 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Probably pushed power button to boot into it vs pushing volume up.
 
defsquad
Old
#34  
Member
Thanks Meter 4
Posts: 57
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Alabama
so, should it ultimately never show the wifi tethering checkbox as being checked? and also always FC when trying to check said checkbox?

EDIT: nevermind, i just had to reboot (and i un-bak'd up the odex file).
 
<:GeeK:>
Old
(Last edited by <:GeeK:>; 3rd December 2013 at 08:43 AM.)
#35  
<:GeeK:>'s Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 556
Posts: 134
Join Date: Jul 2011
I was bored and packaged everything into a foolproof script (windows).

OP, feel free to use it in the OP.

The exe will run all the commands and has adb + apk built it.

To eliminate mistakes it checks for:
-android 4.4
-model (Moto X)
-carrier (vzw)
-Write Protect = 0
-connection status

Just download the attached executable and run it.
Attached Files
File Type: zip MotoX_VZW_4.4_TetherPatch.zip - [Click for QR Code] (758.4 KB, 768 views)
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to <:GeeK:> For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
goose71
Old
(Last edited by goose71; 6th December 2013 at 05:45 AM.) Reason: add question
#36  
goose71's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 6
Posts: 51
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Austin, TX
What about wifi tether? With this mod, will wifi tether work, or has anyone gotten it to work?

Another problem I'm having: I was able to make the changes and had it working while in "recovery"(wp off), but once I reboot normally I get the fc's. Do I need to always be in "recovery" to use this? Shouldn't it work once changes are made.
 
MJSlider
Old
#37  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 1
Join Date: Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by <:GeeK:> View Post
I was bored and packaged everything into a foolproof script (windows).

OP, feel free to use it in the OP.

The exe will run all the commands and has adb + apk built it.

To eliminate mistakes it checks for:
-android 4.4
-model (Moto X)
-carrier (vzw)
-Write Protect = 0
-connection status

Just download the attached executable and run it.
Says my phone's not connect properly; plugged into computer via usb with usb debugging enabled.

To reveal my newb-ness, I guess I need root to use this, huh? Anyone know if I can root my VZW Moto X that has been updated to 4.4? haven't yet ventured into the unlocking/rooting realm, mostly because of free time rather than being afraid, but the need to get my tethering has provided new motivation (really miss being able to tether with just a widget on the old GNex).
 
skirk08
Old
#38  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 5
Posts: 25
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJSlider View Post
Says my phone's not connect properly; plugged into computer via usb with usb debugging enabled.

To reveal my newb-ness, I guess I need root to use this, huh? Anyone know if I can root my VZW Moto X that has been updated to 4.4? haven't yet ventured into the unlocking/rooting realm, mostly because of free time rather than being afraid, but the need to get my tethering has provided new motivation (really miss being able to tether with just a widget on the old GNex).
Yes, you need root. This is the only method I know of. Keep in mind this requires you to downgrade to 4.2.2 first.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2538896
 
goose71
Old
#39  
goose71's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 6
Posts: 51
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Austin, TX
Saw this tweet earlier in the week and was wondering if anybody has knowledge what it refers to or how it applies to us:

‏@theKos "adb shell content insert --uri content://settings/global --bind name:s:tether_dun_required --bind value:i:0" for tethering (android 4.4)
 
ReadyMadeFire
Old
#40  
Member
Thanks Meter 7
Posts: 33
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by <:GeeK:> View Post
I was bored and packaged everything into a foolproof script (windows).

OP, feel free to use it in the OP.

The exe will run all the commands and has adb + apk built it.

To eliminate mistakes it checks for:
-android 4.4
-model (Moto X)
-carrier (vzw)
-Write Protect = 0
-connection status

Just download the attached executable and run it.
Worked great!! No problems at all.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes