Dec 26, 2007
Now works on non-DE phones too.

Installation instructions, with ro.boot.write_protect=0:

Code:
adb push VzwEntitlementService.apk /sdcard/VzwEntitlementService.apk
adb shell
su
mount -o remount,rw /system
mv /system/priv-app/VzwEntitlementService.apk /system/priv-app/VzwEntitlementService.apk.bak
mv /system/priv-app/VzwEntitlementService.odex /system/priv-app/VzwEntitlementService.odex.bak
cp /sdcard/VzwEntitlementService.apk /system/app/VzwEntitlementService.apk
chmod 644 /system/app/VzwEntitlementService.apk

Now tap "Portable Wi-Fi hotspot". You will experience a force close, this is expected.

Code:
mv /system/app/VzwEntitlementService.apk /system/priv-app/VzwEntitlementService.apk
mount -o remount,ro /system
exit
exit

Now you will be able to tether.

Attachments

• VzwEntitlementService.apk
    98.9 KB · Views: 3,988
Last edited:

cj64

Dec 26, 2007
For the geeks:

Code:
.method public startEntitleCheck()V
    .locals 2

.prologue
    const/4 v0, 0x1

iput-boolean v0, p0, Lcom/motorola/service/vzw/entitlement/EntitlementDialogActivity;->mEntitlementCheckState:Z

const-string v1, "1"

iput-object v1, p0, Lcom/motorola/service/vzw/entitlement/EntitlementDialogActivity;->mStatusCode:Ljava/lang/String;

return-void
.end method

Dburgessme2

Jan 3, 2012
Installation instructions:

Code:
adb shell
su
mv /system/app/VzwEntitlementService.apk /system/app/VzwEntitlementService.apk.bak
mv /system/app/VzwEntitlementService.odex /system/app/VzwEntitlementService.odex.bak

Now tap "Portable Wi-Fi hotspot". You will experience a force close, this is expected.

Code:
mv /system/app/VzwEntitlementService.apk /system/priv-app/VzwEntitlementService.apk
exit
exit

Hi there! I'm definitely not in the "geek" category. But, I'm extremely interested in this. I'm curious, are all of the above items individual adb commands. Do each? (I've not done anything with ADB since Droid X days and then just followed very precise directions).

Any possibility this could be put into some kind of flashable zip (through recovery)...that might have scripts that take care of the "grunt" work?

If I only had the time and knowledge to get further into these things, I wouldn't even make the suggestion.

Still yet, GREATLY APPRECIATED!!

tf22

Aug 31, 2012

Code:
adb shell
su
mv /system/app/VzwEntitlementService.apk /system/app/VzwEntitlementService.apk.bak
mv /system/app/VzwEntitlementService.odex /system/app/VzwEntitlementService.odex.bak

Code:
exit
exit

Thx, works great for me!

cj64

Dec 26, 2007

Code:
[STRIKE]mv /system/app/VzwEntitlementService.apk /system/app/VzwEntitlementService.apk.bak
mv /system/app/VzwEntitlementService.odex /system/app/VzwEntitlementService.odex.bak[/STRIKE]
mv /system/priv-app/VzwEntitlementService.apk /system/priv-app/VzwEntitlementService.apk.bak
mv /system/priv-app/VzwEntitlementService.odex /system/priv-app/VzwEntitlementService.odex.bak

Made a correction to the paths in the installation instructions.

TheDonXR

May 8, 2011

Code:
adb shell
su

Code:
exit
exit

What does that chmod 644 do? Is this required to be done on the system or could you use root explorer to put the .zip file into the priv-app file on they system.

Dburgessme2

Jan 3, 2012
Hi there! Any way this can be made into a flashable zip through TWRP? I've not had much luck lately with ADB, etc. I am sitting on 4.4 DE, unlocked, rooted, with the new TWRP. I was hoping to do this all on the phone if it were possible and not too difficult.

And, just so you know, I am always extremely appreciated for all the mods and development on these devices. You guys who have learned these skills just rock! (getting older here with less time on my hands to always dig in and figure it out on my own, unfortunately)

I'm travelling in 2 wks and just want to make sure my Moto X is up and fully functional (as was my gNex).

Thanks!

:)

TheDonXR

May 8, 2011
Hi there! Any way this can be made into a flashable zip through TWRP? I've not had much luck lately with ADB, etc. I am sitting on 4.4 DE, unlocked, rooted, with the new TWRP. I was hoping to do this all on the phone if it were possible and not too difficult.

And, just so you know, I am always extremely appreciated for all the mods and development on these devices. You guys who have learned these skills just rock! (getting older here with less time on my hands to always dig in and figure it out on my own, unfortunately)

I'm travelling in 2 wks and just want to make sure my Moto X is up and fully functional (as was my gNex).

Thanks!

I did most of the work on my phone using root explorer, I didn't know how to set the permissions when I did it and used ADB for that. I found out later how to do that and here's what the process should be without using ADB:

1. Download Root Explorer by Jrummy in the Play store.
2. Download VZWEntitlementServices.apk from OP on your moto x.
3. Go into Root Explorer and find System folder, find priv-app, inside priv-app long press VZWEntitlementServices.apk and VZWEntitlementServices.odex rename to VZWEntitlementServices.apk.bak and VZWEntitlementServices.odex.bak and back out to first folder.
4. Go to sdcard folder, download and find VZWEntitlementServices.apk that you downloaded from step 2 copy it and back out to the home folder enter the system folder and paste it.
5. Long press on the file and hit permissions in the menu. change permissions to look like screenshot.
edit
(should show rw-r--r--)
6. Exit out of root explorer and try to enable your tether it will FC.
7. Go back to root explorer and move the VZWEntitlementServices.apk that you put in the system folder to the priv-app folder.
8. Check the tether it should work.
9. PROFIT!

Let me know if it works!

Last edited:

publicanimal

Apr 15, 2011
San Diego, CA
This is great, thanks so much!

I noticed that unlike the native tether solution for 4.2.2 this one still shows the "Checking subscription status" toast notification when activating tether - does this mean that Verizon is being notified everytime I am activating tether even though the check is ultimately being bypassed? Even if not I'd prefer not to see this.

Dburgessme2

Jan 3, 2012
I did most of the work on my phone using root explorer, I didn't know how to set the permissions when I did it and used ADB for that. I found out later how to do that and here's what the process should be without using ADB:

2. Download VZWEntitlementServices.zip from OP on your moto x.
3. Go into Root Explorer and find System folder, find priv-app, inside priv-app long press VZWEntitlementServices.zip and VZWEntitlementServices.odex rename to VZWEntitlementServices.zip.bak and VZWEntitlementServices.odex.bak and back out to first folder.
4. Go to sdcard folder, download and find VZWEntitlementServices.zip that you downloaded from step 2 copy it and back out to the home folder enter the system folder and paste it.
5. Long press on the file and hit permissions in the menu. change permissions to look like screenshot.
edit
(should show rw-r--r--)
7. Go back to root explorer and move the VZWEntitlementServices.zip that you put in the system folder to the priv-app folder.
9. PROFIT!

Let me know if it works!

Well, this is just awesome! Evidently it worked. I'm making this post with my Nexus 7 tethered to my DE 4.4 Moto X on my unlimited data plan. :D

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Now works on non-DE phones too.

Installation instructions, with ro.boot.write_protect=0:

Code:
    adb shell
    su

Code:
    exit
    exit

I was bored and packaged everything into a foolproof script (windows).

OP, feel free to use it in the OP.

The exe will run all the commands and has adb + apk built it.

To eliminate mistakes it checks for:
    -android 4.4
    -model (Moto X)
    -carrier (vzw)
    -Write Protect = 0
    -connection status

Just download the attached executable and run it.

Thanks!

2. Download VZWEntitlementServices.apk from OP on your moto x.
    3. Go into Root Explorer and find System folder, find priv-app, inside priv-app long press VZWEntitlementServices.apk and VZWEntitlementServices.odex rename to VZWEntitlementServices.apk.bak and VZWEntitlementServices.odex.bak and back out to first folder.
    4. Go to sdcard folder, download and find VZWEntitlementServices.apk that you downloaded from step 2 copy it and back out to the home folder enter the system folder and paste it.
    edit
    (should show rw-r--r--)
    7. Go back to root explorer and move the VZWEntitlementServices.apk that you put in the system folder to the priv-app folder.
    9. PROFIT!

Let me know if it works!
    For the geeks:

Code:
    .method public startEntitleCheck()V
        .locals 2

.prologue
        const/4 v0, 0x1

iput-boolean v0, p0, Lcom/motorola/service/vzw/entitlement/EntitlementDialogActivity;->mEntitlementCheckState:Z

const-string v1, "1"

iput-object v1, p0, Lcom/motorola/service/vzw/entitlement/EntitlementDialogActivity;->mStatusCode:Ljava/lang/String;

return-void
    .end method
    It should - although nobody commented on the Sprint version, a VZW user reported the original modified apk to work fine on 4.4. And the modification in the entitlement file seems to be identical for all carriers.

Why don't you back up your original files, try the modified apk, and let everyone know if it works? :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I've attempted it and SprintEntitlement just force closes. I've got a hunch on something, though, so I'm going to try that and report back.

Edit: Nope, force close city. The files show as completely different when compared in winmerge.