Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,468 Members 37,339 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Pandora Now Playing on Active Display

Tip us?

fury683
Old
(Last edited by fury683; 26th March 2014 at 02:39 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 65

DONATE TO ME
Audio Pandora Now Playing on Active Display

Saw a thread about this on reddit and took a stab at it.

Curious if there is anyone with root that does not have Tasker installed that would want to test it for me? It works on my Moto X, but I have Tasker.

The app fires a notification with the current song playing on Pandora so it can be seen on Active Display. It's still in the early stages, so it's not perfect.

If you're interested in trying it for me, here's a link. The only requirements are having root, using Pandora, and having a Moto X, obviously :P

https://copy.com/LlLkiTAtpdxnsFt

It will ask for root the first time it tries to run, and it updates every two minutes. Once I can tell that it's working on other devices, I can decrease the refresh time in an effort to be more accurate.

Note: It will ask for root the first time it runs, so you might want to keep your screen on for a few minutes until you see the root request. After that it will just fire the notification.

Edit 3/26: Also make sure that the app is enabled in your Active Display settings if you disabled the option to automatically enable all new apps

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140325_141224_038.jpg
Views:	1984
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	2649784  
furyť™ - not helping the situation since 1987
Enable Moto X LED Charging Indicator (without Tasker)
Current: VZW MM Moto X, Woven Black, Black, Black; Nexus 7 (2013) | Previous: Droid Razr Maxx; Droid X; Nook Color (running CM)
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to fury683 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Kenichi
Old
Thanks Meter 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by fury683 View Post
Saw a thread about this on reddit and took a stab at it.

Curious if there is anyone with root that does not have Tasker installed that would want to test it for me? It works on my Moto X, but I have Tasker.

The app fires a notification with the current song playing on Pandora so it can be seen on Active Display. It's still in the early stages, so it's not perfect.

If you're interested in trying it for me, here's a link. The only requirements are having root, using Pandora, and having a Moto X, obviously :P

https://copy.com/LlLkiTAtpdxnsFt

It will ask for root the first time it tries to run, and it updates every two minutes. Once I can tell that it's working on other devices, I can decrease the refresh time in an effort to be more accurate.

Note: It will ask for root the first time it runs, so you might want to keep your screen on for a few minutes until you see the root request. After that it will just fire the notification.

Thanks!
Pretty neat! I'll give it a whirl in a bit.

Kenichi

Cyphir
Old
(Last edited by Cyphir; 26th March 2014 at 01:46 AM.)
Thanks Meter 27
I can't seem to get it to work. Will reinstall Tasker and see if it works.

fury683
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 65

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyphir View Post
I can't seem to get it to work although I have Tasked as well. Perhaps they are conflicting.
Did it request root? It runs on a two minute cycle, and scrapes the existing notifications, one of which is Pandora. It then assigns those to variables and makes its own notification.

If it did ask for root and still didn't work, can you check Settings > Accessibility and see if Tasker is checked?
Current: VZW MM Moto X, Woven Black, Black, Black; Nexus 7 (2013) | Previous: Droid Razr Maxx; Droid X; Nook Color (running CM)

Cyphir
Old
(Last edited by Cyphir; 26th March 2014 at 01:54 AM.)
Thanks Meter 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by fury683 View Post
Did it request root? It runs on a two minute cycle, and scrapes the existing notifications, one of which is Pandora. It then assigns those to variables and makes its own notification.

If it did ask for root and still didn't work, can you check Settings > Accessibility and see if Tasker is checked?
I have SuperSU to auto grant root access. I hadn't had tasker installed when I thought I had. Installed it and still couldn't get it to work. I just checked Tasked in Accessibility so let's see.

Edit: Still nothing. Hmmmm.

hovax615@hotmail.com
Old
Thanks Meter 309
Doesn't work for me either at&t moto x 4.4.2 root no write protection :/

Sent from my XT1058 using xda premium

myoder020
Old
Thanks Meter 1
It worked for me. Just had to make sure it was checked in active display.

Sent from my XT1060 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to myoder020 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

fury683
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 65

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by myoder020 View Post
It worked for me. Just had to make sure it was checked in active display.

Sent from my XT1060 using xda app-developers app
Cool! I was starting to get worried that maybe it only worked for me. I forgot that some people may have the option to auto add new apps to Active Display turned off.

chaoslimits
Old
Thanks Meter 147
Any plans to extend the functionality to other media players like Google Music?
Moto Droid X (sold) > Samsung Galaxy (sold) > Moto X Dev ED

fury683
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 65

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoslimits View Post
Any plans to extend the functionality to other media players like Google Music?
It could be done pretty easily, I just don't use Google Music. Once I confirm that this one works properly, I can take a look at that.