Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,761 Members 42,205 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[TMO][MOD] TMobile Native Tether fix 4.4.2 (AOSP and stock based ROMs)

Tip us?

MikeyNick
Old
(Last edited by MikeyNick; 13th February 2014 at 06:49 AM.) Reason: Added method for stock rom and free sqlite editor and updated title
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 45
Default [TMO][MOD] TMobile Native Tether fix 4.4.2 (AOSP and stock based ROMs)

So, I recently decided to give T-Mobile a try since I think Big Red is becoming more and more evil by the day... To my dismay, I discovered that trying to use the native tether on T-Mobile just redirected me to a "My Account" page. This was thoroughly disheartening. Early attempts at looking into this pointed me to this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2567579

However, that appears to only apply to 4.4. I installed Gummy rom which is on 4.4.2, and flashing that zip just caused a bootloop (because the framework-res.apk had changed).

Well after further digging, I ended up finding a fix over in the Nexus 5 forums (Specifically, this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...2&postcount=70)

EDIT: The following worked for me on gummy ROM. So I think this is the fix for AOSP based ROMs. Read further down for the stock based solution discovered by pelebkf

So, long story short, in order to get your native tethering to bypass the T-Mobile redirect page, you want to:

Download SQLite Editor: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...qleditor&hl=en

(If you don't want to spend $3, you could transfer the file mentioned below to your computer and do it on an sqlite editor there. The free sqlite editors in the market didn't work for me. This one worked like a charm)
EDIT: This free sqlite editor has been claimed to work fine as well: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...qleditor&hl=en

Open the following file in SQLite Editor (or transfer to computer and open there): /data/data/com.android.provider.settings/databases/settings.db

Open the "global" table and add the following entry:

label: tether_dun_required
value: 0

Back out of the app and reboot, and then tethering should be working fine!

Stock based ROM method (give a thanks to pelebkf for figuring this out!)

Go to Settings-> "More..." (under Data Usage) -> Mobile Networks -> Access Point Names

Click the APN "T-Mobile US LTE", scroll down to "APN Type", click that, and add ",dun" to the end of the list (so the list should say "default,mms,supl,hipri,fota,dun") then hit okay. You should be set now!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MikeyNick For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

pelebkf
Old
Thanks Meter 22
Just attempted this fix on stock and my hotspot usage is still increasing while using a user agent switcher in chrome.

My nexus 4 however works fine with this fix and the same setup.

Wondering what the difference between the 2 are.

wxaxgxs
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelebkf View Post
Just attempted this fix on stock and my hotspot usage is still increasing while using a user agent switcher in chrome.

My nexus 4 however works fine with this fix and the same setup.

Wondering what the difference between the 2 are.
This didn't work for me. I still get redirected, running 4.4.2. TMO OTA. Tried to flash the old framework-res.apk and now phone won't boot, so I'm sitting in recovery. Does anyone have the stock framework-res handy? Any other suggestions on tethering?

MikeyNick
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 45
I did this on Gummy ROM. I will flash stock at some point and try to take a look for you. Girlfriend is in town visiting so it might not be till after the weekend though.

pelebkf
Old
Thanks Meter 22
FYI I am working on trying to get this to work on the stock. Think I may have it. Will post as soon as I find out step by step.

wxaxgxs
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyNick View Post
I did this on Gummy ROM. I will flash stock at some point and try to take a look for you. Girlfriend is in town visiting so it might not be till after the weekend though.
Awesome, thanks! I made the stupid mistake of running the OTA today and needing tether today.... Guess I'll have to live with 56k wifi.

pelebkf
Old
(Last edited by pelebkf; 12th February 2014 at 08:43 PM.)
Thanks Meter 22
Hey If someone with STOCK 4.4.2 could try this for me.

Edit the main APN "T-Mobile US LTE" and add ",dun" to the end of the "APN type" (so the it should say "default,mms,supl,hipri,fots,dun") then save it.

Then using a User Agent Switcher check and see if you Smartphone Mobile Hotspot Increases or stays the same in data usage.

This seems to have worked for me with NO other modifications.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pelebkf For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

wxaxgxs
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelebkf View Post
Hey If someone with STOCK 4.4.2 could try this for me.

Edit the main APN "T-Mobile US LTE" and add ",dun" to the end of the "APN type" (so the it should say "default,mms,supl,hipri,fots,dun") then save it.

Then using a User Agent Switcher check and see if you Smartphone Mobile Hotspot Increases or stays the same in data usage.

This seems to have worked for me with NO other modifications.
Well I'll be damned, it worked! What a simple fix. Posting from usb-tethered VPN connection now!

All's good on the Moto X 4.4.2 TMO tethering front!

Thanks!!

(reposted to quote/give credit)

MikeyNick
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 45
Nice find! Thanks for saving me the trouble

Sent from my XT1053 using xda app-developers app

LBN1
Old
Thanks Meter 74
Nice seems to work; I've got Moto X Dev. Edition, rooted stock 4.4.2 and on T-Mobile US.

BTW, SQlite Editor Pro (free) worked fine for me from Google Play for the 1st post, then I added "dun" to the APN as suggested above. Thx.

The Following User Says Thank You to LBN1 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]