Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,536 Members 53,260 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Root][APP]TowelPieRoot for the Moto X

Tip us?
 
iKrYpToNiTe
Old
(Last edited by iKrYpToNiTe; 26th July 2014 at 12:54 AM.) Reason: Edited some instructions
#1  
iKrYpToNiTe's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 358
Posts: 225
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Sanford

 
DONATE TO ME
Default [Root][APP]TowelPieRoot for the Moto X

*** DISCLAIMER ***
I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU MESS UP YOUR PHONE! OR IF YOU LOSE ANY DATA, ITS CALLED BACK IT UP BEFORE HAND!


Towel Pie Root is a one click untethered app to root the Moto X and Droid Maxx(maybe others but these for sure) running 4.4.2 and below. It doesn't seem to work on the Moto G sorry!

I want to started off by Thanking Geohot for Towelroot and JCase for Pie root, without them this wouldn't have been possible and I take NO credit for their exploits. If either of them doesn't want this posted they may contact me and I will gladly remove it.

Towel Pie Root combines Towelroot's futex exploit with a modified version of Pie root's xbin.img mount into one app. To achieve a one click untethered root for write protected devices! This DOES NOT remove write protection, and is still technically a temp root, I did include the option to enable root on boot. Which will re-root your device every time you reboot your phone, it also includes the option to perform a full reboot, or a soft reboot from within the app.

Here is a more technical description of what my app does. It includes TR's libexploit.so(aka the native exploit by Geohot) which I use to gain root privileges. Once it has root privileges it then echo's the file path to my modified Pie root file to uevent_helper. It then causes a hotplug event to trigger the kernel to execute the file path just echoed to uevent_helper. My modified Pie root files, kill TR's daemonsu and mounts Pie root's xbin.img over /system/xbin. Then it copies the newer version of SuperSU's su binary and executes the new daemonsu daemon and viola root

If you enjoyed my app, please donate to Geohot at https://towelroot.com/, and JCase at jcase@cunninglogic.com! I do not want any donations, I set out to develop this app purely as a challenge to broaden my development skills not to get a donation.

Installation Instructions: You need to have unknown sources checked in Settings>>Security, and if you have Towelroot installed uninstall it. In order to use TR's exploit I had to name the app's package name to the same name as TR's package name, so you will have to uninstall TR to install my app. Also if you are currently rooted with Pie root please reboot before running my app, to clear Pie's su daemon, and to unmount Pie's xbin.img. Then just click Make it ra!n on Moto, and wait for it to say Root Acheived Enjoy!

Download link: http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23578570567716728

Screen Recording: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6fXs3VJQHg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-07-22-22-18-16.png
Views:	1193
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	2866104  
The Following 63 Users Say Thank You to iKrYpToNiTe For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
doitinthedirt
Old
#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 13
Posts: 155
Join Date: Mar 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by iKrYpToNiTe View Post
*** DISCLAIMER ***
I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU MESS UP YOUR PHONE! OR IF YOU LOSE ANY DATA, ITS CALLED BACK IT UP BEFORE HAND!


Towel Pie Root is a one click untethered app to root Motorola devices running 4.4.2 maybe 4.4.3 and below.

I want to started off by Thanking Geohot for Towelroot and JCase for Pie root, without them this wouldn't have been possible and I take NO credit for their exploits. If either of them doesn't want this posted they may contact me and I will gladly remove it.

Towel Pie Root combines Towelroot's futex exploit with a modified version of Pie root's xbin.img mount into one app. To achieve a one click untethered root for write protected devices! This DOES NOT remove write protection, and is still technically a temp root, I did include the option to enable root on boot. Which will re-root your device every time you reboot your phone, it also includes the option to perform a full reboot, or a soft reboot from within the app.

Here is a more technical description of what my app does. It includes TR's libexploit.so(aka the native exploit by Geohot) which I use to gain root privileges. Once it has root privileges it then echo's the file path to my modified Pie root file to uevent_helper. It then causes a hotplug event to trigger the kernel to execute the file path just echoed to uevent_helper. My modified Pie root files, kill TR's daemonsu and mounts Pie root's xbin.img over /system/xbin. Then it copies the newer version of SuperSU's su binary and executes the new daemonsu daemon and viola root

If you enjoyed my app, please donate to Geohot at https://towelroot.com/, and JCase at jcase@cunninglogic.com! I do not want any donations, I set out to develop this app purely as a challenge to broaden my development skills not to get a donation.

Installation Instructions: You need to have unknown sources checked in Settings>>Security, and if you have Towelroot installed uninstall it. In order to use TR's exploit I had to name the app's package name to the same name as TR's package name, so you will have to uninstall TR to install my app. Then just click Make it ra!n on Moto, and wait for it to say Root Acheived Enjoy!

Download link: http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23578570567716728

Screen Recording: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6fXs3VJQHg

Thank you Sir, and Jcase and geohot... now the big question... I just factory reset 4.4.2 and rooted Pie.. installed your entitlement hack.. worked dandy... than I tried the tr... and guess what..... your app no longer works.. so, do I need to do another factory reset and install this new towelpie app or will your entitlement hack not work with this either? Or should I be the test pilot and find out myself...
 
chrisp6825
Old
#3  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 34
Posts: 156
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by doitinthedirt View Post
Thank you Sir, and Jcase and geohot... now the big question... I just factory reset 4.4.2 and rooted Pie.. installed your entitlement hack.. worked dandy... than I tried the tr... and guess what..... your app no longer works.. so, do I need to do another factory reset and install this new towelpie app or will your entitlement hack not work with this either? Or should I be the test pilot and find out myself...
No need to factory reset. Just make sure you uninstall the towelroot app.
Then install this Towel-root-pie app. JUST this app. Run it, you should be good from there.



iKrYpToNiTe, I know you don't want creditz, but this is also such a helpful and much appreciated tool. I do want to thank you for sharing it with us.

My thanks go out to jcase and geohotz as well. A smörgåsbord of thanks to all of you!!

tapa'd on my moto x
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1312133195.png

Current Device : Moto X (vzw/no-root/no-dev)
Past Devices :
 
Droid Bionic, Moto Atrix 3G, HTC MyTouch 3G, Palm Treo 750, Moto Razr v3 ...
 
tronmech
Old
(Last edited by tronmech; 23rd July 2014 at 04:39 AM.)
#4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 75
Posts: 538
Join Date: Nov 2010
Not good, I can't get it to stop rebooting. 4.4.3 moto g. Selected root on reboot, and now it reboots over and over.

Edit: Factory reset my phone through recovery using instructions at https://motorola-global-portal.custh...p/30,6720,9050

I'm at least back where I started from.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
 
windraver
Old
(Last edited by windraver; 23rd July 2014 at 04:46 AM.)
#5  
Member
Thanks Meter 9
Posts: 41
Join Date: Aug 2011
side note, don't try it on the moto G. I'm stuck in a bootloop.

edit: was going to try and uninstall the app before it reboots but so far no good.. might have to factory reset

edit2: apparently I'm not fast enough to hit okay for the uninstall.

edit3: YES! I win. I uninstalled faster than towelpieroot could trigger the reboot! whew... took like 20 tries...
 
chrisp6825
Old
#6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 34
Posts: 156
Join Date: Mar 2009
For future reference, you can (attempt to) uninstall using adb. It takes a bit more knowledge, but it's simpler.

adb uninstall (package)

tapa'd on my moto x
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1312133195.png

Current Device : Moto X (vzw/no-root/no-dev)
Past Devices :
 
Droid Bionic, Moto Atrix 3G, HTC MyTouch 3G, Palm Treo 750, Moto Razr v3 ...
 
windraver
Old
#7  
Member
Thanks Meter 9
Posts: 41
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisp6825 View Post
For future reference, you can (attempt to) uninstall using adb. It takes a bit more knowledge, but it's simpler.

adb uninstall (package)

tapa'd on my moto x
I tried! I couldn't get to ADB while in fastboot. How would I get into ADB Shell if I can't get into anything outside of recovery?
 
doitinthedirt
Old
#8  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 13
Posts: 155
Join Date: Mar 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisp6825 View Post
No need to factory reset. Just make sure you uninstall the towelroot app.
Then install this Towel-root-pie app. JUST this app. Run it, you should be good from there.



iKrYpToNiTe, I know you don't want creditz, but this is also such a helpful and much appreciated tool. I do want to thank you for sharing it with us.

My thanks go out to jcase and geohotz as well. A smörgåsbord of thanks to all of you!!

tapa'd on my moto x
Worked perfect! thanks!
So I was already Pied... Pie files already pushed to phone prior to running trpie app.. does this app do the pushing or do we still need to run Pie on its own to push the files?
 
samwathegreat
Old
#9  
samwathegreat's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 584
Posts: 1,041
Join Date: Apr 2010

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by doitinthedirt View Post
Worked perfect! thanks!
So I was already Pied... Pie files already pushed to phone prior to running trpie app.. does this app do the pushing or do we still need to run Pie on its own to push the files?
According to the message the OP sent me, PIE is no longer necessary - at all. He advised me that you can run this app on a bone-stock Moto X that has never had PIE used on it.

Have fun guys, AND HIT THE "THANKS" BUTTON TO THE OP!!!!!!
Remember: the "SEARCH" button will often save you a great deal of time waiting for a reply.

Help us keep XDA fun and safe. Please read the RULES, and please respect your fellow members.

I successfully CRACKED the SIM-LOCK on the Sprint XT1056 Moto X. Read about it HERE

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to samwathegreat For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
iKrYpToNiTe
Old
#10  
iKrYpToNiTe's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 358
Posts: 225
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Sanford

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by tronmech View Post
Not good, I can't get it to stop rebooting. 4.4.3 moto g. Selected root on reboot, and now it reboots over and over.

Edit: Factory reset my phone through recovery using instructions at https://motorola-global-portal.custh...p/30,6720,9050

I'm at least back where I started from.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by windraver View Post
side note, don't try it on the moto G. I'm stuck in a bootloop.

edit: was going to try and uninstall the app before it reboots but so far no good.. might have to factory reset

edit2: apparently I'm not fast enough to hit okay for the uninstall.

edit3: YES! I win. I uninstalled faster than towelpieroot could trigger the reboot! whew... took like 20 tries...
I'm sorry it caused bootloops for you, I remove 4.4.3 from the OP so others don't try.

The Following User Says Thank You to iKrYpToNiTe For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes