FORUMS

Analysis & Opinion

Top Forum Discussions

[MOD][XT1053,XT1058][TMO,ATT][4.4][4.4.2] AOSP Signal Icons

97 posts
Thanks Meter: 42

By kuz142, Member on 25th December 2013, 04:56 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
This mod kills the ugly extra space next to the network signal bars that display network type, i.e. E, "4G", and 4G LTE. The mod changes a few bools.xml values and enables the stock icons.

Zips marked "EHLTE" show indicators for E, H, and LTE instead of E, 3G, and 4G (my preference, the one in the screenshots). Unless another version number is specified in the title, all mods are for stock 4.4 ROMs.

UPDATE 1/2/14: Thanks to @hartom, I made a mod specifically for AT&T phones (XT1058). I only did the "EHLTE" version for now, if I get enough requests I can make the other one too.

UPDATE 2/13/14: New mod up for XT1053s running the latest 4.4.2 update!

MANUAL INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS:
1)
Download your choice of mod from bottom of post, unzip and find SystemUI.apk
2) BACK UP your phone's original SystemUI.apk and SystemUI.odex from system/priv-app
3) Delete the SystemUI.odex that you just backed up
4) Copy the new SystemUI.apk to system/priv-app, overwriting the old one
5) Set permissions on the new file to rw- r-- r--
6) Reboot

Before installing, MAKE SURE TO BACK UP, if not your whole ROM, then at least your original SystemUI.apk and SystemUI.odex from system/priv-app. If your status and navigation bars disappear, make sure the permissions of the new SystemUI.apk are correctly set to rw-r-r.

Before (image from google):

After (with the EHLTE mod [and a few gravitybox tweaks of course]):

*@chaoslimits discovered this originally and guided me through the process. His thread for VZW and Sprint Moto Xs can be found here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2561560
Last edited by kuz142; 14th February 2014 at 03:33 AM.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to kuz142 For This Useful Post: [ View ]

27th December 2013, 08:24 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 55

Donate to Me
More
I flashed through SS on stock rooted ATT and my signal strength is blue, not a big deal since Gravity Box can change it.

Sent from my Ghost
The Following User Says Thank You to Infekxion For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th December 2013, 11:45 PM |#3  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infekxion

I flashed through SS on stock rooted ATT and my signal strength is blue, not a big deal since Gravity Box can change it.

Sent from my Ghost

Ok thanks for the feedback, I didn't know if it would work on AT&T phones or not
28th December 2013, 01:32 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 344

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuz142

Ok thanks for the feedback, I didn't know if it would work on AT&T phones or not

Is the only difference between the two zips in the op is whether it shows "4g" or "LTE"?

Sent from my Nexus 7
28th December 2013, 01:33 AM |#5  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by phositadc

Is the only difference between the two zips in the op is whether it shows "4g" or "LTE"?

Sent from my Nexus 7

Yes, and "H" for HSPA instead of "3G"
The Following User Says Thank You to kuz142 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
28th December 2013, 02:01 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 344

More
Quote:

Yes, and "H" for HSPA instead of "3G"

One other quick question. You and chaoslimits have inspired me to download apktool and start looking at this stuff myself. Does systemui.apk have to be deodexed before it can be edited? Or can I just pull systemui.apk from my /system/priv-app/ folder and get to work?
28th December 2013, 02:03 AM |#7  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by phositadc

One other quick question. You and chaoslimits have inspired me to download apktool and start looking at this stuff myself. Does systemui.apk have to be deodexed before it can be edited? Or can I just pull systemui.apk from my /system/priv-app/ folder and get to work?

That's great, I'm glad we have! It's very rewarding. I've always deodexed first, so can't say for sure, but I think you'd be ok just editing the sysui file as-is and leaving it odexed
28th December 2013, 02:24 AM |#8  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

No prob, I am going to see if GB is whats making my indicator blue once the X has a charge to it. I have been waiting on this particular mod for a while. Thanks again.

Sent from my Hammerhead
28th December 2013, 02:32 AM |#9  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infekxion

No prob, I am going to see if GB is whats making my indicator blue once the X has a charge to it. I have been waiting on this particular mod for a while. Thanks again.

Sent from my Hammerhead

Well if only the bars are blue, I'm pretty sure it's not GB because that mod affects all the icons on the status bar. There is actually a line in the bools file, <bool name="config_enable_carrier_wide_icons_are_blue">f alse</bool>, that was set by default to false on my phone but may somehow be opposite on yours. Or maybe your systemui uses blue icons by default instead of white ones. I know on VZW phones they defaulted to gray. There's also the fact that you have an AT&T model phone, but I'm not sure how much that factors in. I'm pretty new to this, so can't say for sure sorry.

No problem, I'm glad to hear that other people appreciate it too
28th December 2013, 02:46 AM |#10  

Donate to Me
More
Thanks, I'll look into that and let you know what I find. I haven't needed to edit xmls and junk for a few years.

Sent from my Hammerhead
28th December 2013, 07:04 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
two quick questions:

first of all i have a moto x xt1053 with telcel mexico but i have the tmobile version so i guess will work right?

second question i need download both files or if i want to do it in customer recovery i justa need download the one that doesn't says aosp?

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread