[ROM] Ubuntu Touch Preview [Alpha] Defy/Defy +

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Kayant

Jul 14, 2011
Ubuntu Touch Preview is just that.. a PREVIEW. Do not complain about missing features, etc. The OS isn't nearly ready for Daily use. **

I repeat it is not ready for use of any kind and probably will not be ready in the future for daily use.........

Also I am not responsible for anything that may happen to your phone if you choose to install this...... it was your choice no one forced you....
Curious as to how the Ubuntu Touch Preview looks? Why not load it on your Defy and see for yourself.

Instructions:

1. Backup your current Rom. This preview is fun to play with and that is it.

2. Download the Defy Mini-Android base for Ubuntu Touch and place it on your device:
http://www.mediafire.com/?hparq8p48l9c3c8

3. Download the Touch Preview Filesystem .zip and place it on your device:
http://www.mediafire.com/?dg5bf836ohvioot

or for newer versions read here

4. Wipe all (data/cache, dalvik cache)

IMPORTANT:
5. Install the quantal-preinstalled-phablet-armhf.zip FIRST, and then the phablet-20130303-cm_mb526.zip SECOND.

6. Reboot and Enjoy

7a. To switch off your phone remove the battery manually
7b. To return back to android reboot back into recovery and reinstall or restore your rom.

8. If your rom is not booting it could be due to the ext 4 format of /data so go into stock recovery and
wipe all (data/cache, dalvik cache), reboot, reinstall.

WHAT WORKS:

WHAT DOESN'T WORK:

There's so much that is still being implemented into the Touch version of Ubuntu, that this list could get pretty long.
  • Everything else like below......
  • Barely any sensors other than touchscreen work. IE: no rotation, etc. Ubuntu WIP issue.
  • No Wifi/Data 3.0 Kernel/Ubuntu WIP Issue
  • No screen timeout / auto blank -- be careful when walking away from the device. Need to press the power button to turn the screen off. Ubuntu WIP issue.
  • Probably I lot more...

RELATED UBUNTU TOUCH LINKS:
Ubuntu Touch Wiki: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/
Release Notes: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/ReleaseNotes
IRC Channel on freenode.net: #ubuntu-touch[/QUOTE]

Screenshots and Videos - Google/Youtube them ^_^..... They will pretty much be the same thing has most stuff in the Ubuntu touch preview are just place holders.....

Most stuff in the rom are place holders so if some apps are not working then it's a placeholder.....
Please do not plague this thread with bugs because I will not be working on this any further as I don't have the dev skills needed also I have no time. If anyone that knows what they are doing what's to continue I will be happy to upload my instructions on how I got it to work..... Just send me a PM....

Credit and Thanks :
Without these guys this will not be possible....

Quarx - As always for making our awesome 3.0 kernel, device tree etc..... Thank you so much for you work on our defy.
Hashcode - For the OP and his work on Ubuntu Touch
Dhacker29 - For his work on Ubuntu Touch
Really big thanks to the STS-Team ( Dhacker29 and Hashcode) as without them I would not know some the changes that where needed for this to work.... The kernel patches and build setup where a big help.....

Last edited:

Kayant

Jul 14, 2011
Defy zip

The defy zip contains the drivers and libs from android so I will only update it next when our 3.0 kernel and device tree are ready for daily use....

Last edited:

walter79

Recognized Developer
Dec 18, 2006
ADB works, Windows detect usb storage.

Screenshoot via adb.

Logcat works too.

Terminal works.

Logcat:

http://pastebin.com/FF31u7Ty

screenshot_2013-03-03_19-26-16.jpg

Missing root: "19:27:04.257 Error su 2239 Shell root access is disabled by a system setting - enable it under settings -> developer options"

illumanati22

Nov 16, 2011
Delhi
Then let the developers do their awesome job :) to port it to our beloved defy
I feel like a RAT now android n Ubuntu may b soon fire fox is too we have more choices of OS like HTC hd2

Sent from my LT30p using xda premium

brajesh.sharma87

Jan 27, 2011
Kolkata
Walter, is it only me or the capatitive button doesnt work? How did u enter settings? And why is ur icons looking so big, mine shows just perfect.

Way to go ubuntu team, the preview rocks. Waiting for updates.

Sent from my LG-P920 using xda app-developers app

Kayant

Jul 14, 2011
Walter, is it only me or the capatitive button doesnt work? How did u enter settings? And why is ur icons looking so big, mine shows just perfect.

Way to go ubuntu team, the preview rocks. Waiting for updates.

Sent from my LG-P920 using xda app-developers app

Ubuntu Touch doesn't use any buttons (Virtual or capacitive)....... settings are in the right corner of the notification centre.

Last edited:
Reactions: brajesh.sharma87

kryzeK

Jul 17, 2012
Cachoeira Paulista
When you release the final version, it is possible for a stable Ubuntu Touch for our Defy/Defy+ or no chance of that happening? What Defy is more likely to run, Firefox OS or Ubuntu Touch?

brajesh.sharma87

Jan 27, 2011
Kolkata
When you release the final version, it is possible for a stable Ubuntu Touch for our Defy/Defy+ or no chance of that happening? What Defy is more likely to run, Firefox OS or Ubuntu Touch?

Too early to say that but at the moment the working/non working things on defy as compared to nexus 4 is almost the same except wifi which is our kernel bug.

Sent from my MB526 using xda app-developers app

arekmelerski

Jan 19, 2010
No, its only Preview. Many functions not intempleted in this software. We must wait for official full relase

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ubuntu Touch Preview is just that.. a PREVIEW. Do not complain about missing features, etc. The OS isn't nearly ready for Daily use. **

I repeat it is not ready for use of any kind and probably will not be ready in the future for daily use.........

Also I am not responsible for anything that may happen to your phone if you choose to install this...... it was your choice no one forced you....
    Curious as to how the Ubuntu Touch Preview looks? Why not load it on your Defy and see for yourself.

Instructions:

1. Backup your current Rom. This preview is fun to play with and that is it.

2. Download the Defy Mini-Android base for Ubuntu Touch and place it on your device:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?hparq8p48l9c3c8

3. Download the Touch Preview Filesystem .zip and place it on your device:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?dg5bf836ohvioot

or for newer versions read here

4. Wipe all (data/cache, dalvik cache)

IMPORTANT:
    5. Install the quantal-preinstalled-phablet-armhf.zip FIRST, and then the phablet-20130303-cm_mb526.zip SECOND.

6. Reboot and Enjoy

7a. To switch off your phone remove the battery manually
    7b. To return back to android reboot back into recovery and reinstall or restore your rom.

8. If your rom is not booting it could be due to the ext 4 format of /data so go into stock recovery and
    wipe all (data/cache, dalvik cache), reboot, reinstall.

WHAT WORKS:

WHAT DOESN'T WORK:

There's so much that is still being implemented into the Touch version of Ubuntu, that this list could get pretty long.
    • Everything else like below......
    • Barely any sensors other than touchscreen work. IE: no rotation, etc. Ubuntu WIP issue.
    • No Wifi/Data 3.0 Kernel/Ubuntu WIP Issue
    • No screen timeout / auto blank -- be careful when walking away from the device. Need to press the power button to turn the screen off. Ubuntu WIP issue.
    • Probably I lot more...

RELATED UBUNTU TOUCH LINKS:
    Ubuntu Touch Wiki: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/
    Release Notes: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/ReleaseNotes
    IRC Channel on freenode.net: #ubuntu-touch[/QUOTE]

Screenshots and Videos - Google/Youtube them ^_^..... They will pretty much be the same thing has most stuff in the Ubuntu touch preview are just place holders.....

Most stuff in the rom are place holders so if some apps are not working then it's a placeholder.....
    Please do not plague this thread with bugs because I will not be working on this any further as I don't have the dev skills needed also I have no time. If anyone that knows what they are doing what's to continue I will be happy to upload my instructions on how I got it to work..... Just send me a PM....

Credit and Thanks :
    Without these guys this will not be possible....

Quarx - As always for making our awesome 3.0 kernel, device tree etc..... Thank you so much for you work on our defy.
    Hashcode - For the OP and his work on Ubuntu Touch
    Dhacker29 - For his work on Ubuntu Touch
    Really big thanks to the STS-Team ( Dhacker29 and Hashcode) as without them I would not know some the changes that where needed for this to work.... The kernel patches and build setup where a big help.....
    BTW

BTW guys if you want to test new builds of ubuntu yourself then all you need to do is download the latest build from here ---> http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-touch-preview/daily-preinstalled/current/

The one named quantal-preinstalled-phablet-armhf.zip is what you want and then what you need to do is reduce the image by deleting some videos and pictures from the zip which will allow for the image to get installed for the ubuntu session.

These can be found in the zip /binary/casper/filesystem.dir/home/phablet/Videos/, /binary/casper/filesystem.dir/home/phablet/Pictures/
    In the new ones, there are no images in the folder you described (and can't find them). But when I copy the tarball to the sdcard and unpack it from adb (you can't unpack it to the sdcard because you need to preserve the permissions) while in the bootmenu using the same commands as in the update zip, I can copy them over and have 79% used in /data but it doesn't boot. I can't seem to find how to debug why.

I will work on a new version soon.... Am I can't remember if adb is enabled by default sorry :(
    Brother I can donate something to u
    If u give me any PayPal or something id may b I can help u but u must do great job

Sent from my LT30p using xda premium

Money is not really the main issue ;) and I could not possibly get enough from people's generous donations to get a good pc..... Additionally, I don't feel I deserve any donations yet..... Anyone with the willingness and a bit of knowledge and effort can do what I do it's not too difficult.
    But thanks for offering that makes me happy ^_^ :)

I will do what I can do when I can.
    ADB works, Windows detect usb storage.

Screenshoot via adb.

Logcat works too.

Terminal works.

Logcat:

http://pastebin.com/FF31u7Ty

screenshot_2013-03-03_19-26-16.jpg

Missing root: "19:27:04.257 Error su 2239 Shell root access is disabled by a system setting - enable it under settings -> developer options"